Board index » MDC Worlds » Splicers®

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:52 am

D-Bee

Quote:
Because the Proto-Host Armor does not receive level advancements. Can an Engineer create a different weapon arm for the Proto-Host Armor to replace it's intial one? Like the armor had an arm with a Casting weapon, could an arm with Organic Rockets and a Forearm blade be created to replace it. Just wondering.

Probably not, abtex. Remember, the Proto-Armour is essentially complete right out the vat. Unlike a mechanical device, it's a living organism. It's be like chopping off a human's arm to fit him with a new one. It's probably not going to happen without a LOT of pointless effort and complex procedures, when it's more than likely the final result wouldn't be up to the spec of the old model. That's the big weakness of Proto-Armour; once grown, it cannot evolve (read; recieve upgrades) after that. What advantages it does have (SN strength, massive MDC, combat bonuses) make up for this nicely.

Also, field endurance of bio-equipment is given on page 129; 1D4 hours of soaking in a nutrient bath will give most standard bio-weapons and equipment 1D6+3 days of operation before it needs feeding again. This actally balances out the impressive power of said items; whilst the machine, by and large, cannot inflict as much damage with tech gear as the incredible xeno-based bioengineered weapons of the Resistance, Resistance forces don't have long-term field endurance for their kit too far away from a source of the nutrients needed to keep their gear in working order.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:09 pm

Champion

-Juicer- wrote:
Quote:
Because the Proto-Host Armor does not receive level advancements. Can an Engineer create a different weapon arm for the Proto-Host Armor to replace it's intial one? Like the armor had an arm with a Casting weapon, could an arm with Organic Rockets and a Forearm blade be created to replace it. Just wondering.

Probably not, abtex. Remember, the Proto-Armour is essentially complete right out the vat. Unlike a mechanical device, it's a living organism.

Figured it's DNA was locked. But just thought that I would ask.

-Juicer- wrote:
Also, field endurance of bio-equipment is given on page 129; 1D4 hours of soaking in a nutrient bath will give most standard bio-weapons and equipment 1D6+3 days of operation before it needs feeding again. This actally balances out the impressive power of said items; whilst the machine, by and large, cannot inflict as much damage with tech gear as the incredible xeno-based bioengineered weapons of the Resistance, Resistance forces don't have long-term field endurance for their kit too far away from a source of the nutrients needed to keep their gear in working order.

Missed the info on page 129. Thanks.

The limited range of the Resistance supports an idea that I had for Way Stations or Trading Posts. They could be run by the Great Houses or be semi independent from them. The cowardly Saints may be outcast to these sites. They would be changed to a form of Engineer. Whos job it is to trade with non Resistance human groups and to aid the Resistance in long range missions. That would be free lance Roughneck forces protecting the Station/Post or using them as bases (temp or permanent). Just a thought.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:54 pm

Adventurer

abtex wrote:
The limited range of the Resistance supports an idea that I had for Way Stations or Trading Posts. They could be run by the Great Houses or be semi independent from them. The cowardly Saints may be outcast to these sites. They would be changed to a form of Engineer. Whos job it is to trade with non Resistance human groups and to aid the Resistance in long range missions. That would be free lance Roughneck forces protecting the Station/Post or using them as bases (temp or permanent). Just a thought.

Great idea!

Are you a Creative Commoner?

Support the Electronic Frontier Foundation!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:20 pm

don't know if anyones asked yet but are the new ranged combat dodging rules printed in Splicers (pg 218) for that that book only or are we talking about a overall change?!?!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:49 am

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!
Well, I read about the first two pages of this thread, and decided as to where i will run this. In my game, this is a version of earth. A parrallel dimension to RIFTS, N&SS, HU, and NIGHTBANE. My decision was simple. There is a magnetic north. Earth is the only planet in the solar system, and only planet yet discovered that hasa magnetic north. Magnetic north = EARTH You can thank a gigantic iron slab under Canada for that. That is why if you ar standing on the north pole, magnetic north is south of your actual position. That is the difference between magnetic north and true north. So, because magnetic north exists, this is Earth in my game.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:54 pm

D-Bee

One could also put forth the arguement that since there's only one ocean, it can't be earth.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:15 pm

Supreme Being

badmoonz wrote:
don't know if anyones asked yet but are the new ranged combat dodging rules printed in Splicers (pg 218) for that that book only or are we talking about a overall change?!?!

Until you see them in another book, those are just the rules for Splicers.

and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:21 am

D-Bee

Quote:
One could also put forth the arguement that since there's only one ocean, it can't be earth.

true. But our Earth has one HUGE ocean split into and named differently all over the world.

But you know what, it doesn't matter if it is earth or not. make it what you wish! YOUR THE GM! if you have an awesome storyline for an Earth setting, take it and run. If you have an awesoome storyline for a non-earth setting take it and run! Creativity is the key and Carmen thank you for allowing us that by saying ppl do not know if it is Earth or not. Awesome game btw! CAN't WAIT FOR MORE BOOKS! :D :D :-D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:49 am

Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Let me just play dumb here for a moment. Does the splicer gear mimic Organitech or is it something else? Because if its Organitech then it would be ok to say that it mimics a plant and has very little waste how ever if its a mamal or such then theres a consistant need to feed the item as its not self suffecient.

My Blog and My Other Blog

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:52 pm

D-Bee

speaking of waste. for the carnivor suits, and the parasite I suppose, does it need to releave some of it's waste material....should we take doggy doo-doo bags out on the field?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:33 pm

D-Bee

Apart from getting into the nitty gritty of suit waste disposal, it's probably safe to assume that with the alien biotech involved, the suits have near 100% energy efficiency with their consumed food. What the human body considers waste could be used for any number of different quasi-xenobiological processes by a Splicer suit. What little waste there *was* could even be excreted as waste gas when the suit *breathes*, if you wanted it to be. Ever seen the Guyver suit exhale? Well, there's an original twist on it.

Now enough on the (literally) crap, please. It's destroying my imagery! *cries*

-Juicer-
- Unsafe since 2001

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:14 pm

Knight

:lol:
speaking of waste products
"pee"
Super Soaker-like blasters filled with pee to battle vampires *if they ever show up*

What about weapons modeled after Skunk Spray...
or
Flamethrowers powers by methan ;)

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:30 am

Champion

TechnoGothic wrote:
:lol:
What about weapons modeled after Skunk Spray...

Chemical Sprayer p.100, but it can always have new Chemicals.

TechnoGothic wrote:
or
Flamethrowers powers by methan ;)

What kind of beans do you have to eat for that level of discharge?
:eek:

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:07 am

Adventurer

light a fart!

Post subject: Got my copy
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:20 am

Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Great work Carmen!!
I got my copy for the holidays and I salivate at your awsome imagination. I do have one question, if I am not mistaken there is only one "House" mentioned in the book and you said that you'd leave it up to the individual G.M.'s to determin how many houses there were. Is it just me or do I smell suplement?

My Blog and My Other Blog

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:51 am

Champion

Shadow_otm wrote:
light a fart!

or you could bottle it and use it as a grenade or warhead for an organic Rocket. Just for fun.

Post subject: Re: Got my copy
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:08 pm

Champion

Zenvis wrote:
Great work Carmen!!

Yes, The Great Carmen did a very job with some help from that other person. The Master of it all, KS :)

Zenvis wrote:

I got my copy for the holidays and I salivate at your awsome imagination. I do have one question, if I am not mistaken there is only one "House" mentioned in the book and you said that you'd leave it up to the individual G.M.'s to determin how many houses there were. Is it just me or do I smell supplement?

In Palladium Books® Press Release – November 23, 2004

they started the rumor of the following:

Other 2005 releases currently in development
<a little cut of other stuff>
Splicers™ Sourcebooks – The first one probably a March or April release.

Hopeful the first of many.
Books, not rumors of them.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:41 pm

Supreme Being

Tinker Dragoon wrote:
badmoonz wrote:

Until you see them in another book, those are just the rules for Splicers.

Update: I have been informed that the revised ranged combat rules indeed appeared in the latest printing of the Rifts Game Master Guide and will be the standard version for future games. Joy cookies! :D

and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:15 am

Wanderer

some one may have addressed this i got a head ache trying to read all the posts with people stating and restating the same thing over and over.

ok nanites. . dont need direct contact if within like an inch the nanites can comunicate and once they do the metal can break through the casing, it only needs a pinhole to get out.

and as far as oral traditions. . i dont know what stories you were told as a child but historical texts were never told to me as a child, i dont know how humpty dumpty or other mother goose fables are suposed to tell me what planet im on, even biblical stories arnt going to help.

and as far as astrology gos, why would you teach the stars from a plant no one in your family has lived on in 10 or 20 generations. and personally i wouldnt bother teaching my kids history either id teach them how to hide set up ambushes and how to feild strip a rifle and fix it in less then 2 min.

personally i love the book and havent notaced and holes that dont appear in every game ive ever played, I like the fact i can costomize it, i plan on making some abilities and features for my own campains

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:28 am

Hero

Beast-Guyver wrote:
and as far as astrology gos, why would you teach the stars from a plant no one in your family has lived on in 10 or 20 generations.

Astrology is the art of divining the future from the movements of planets and stars in the heavens.

Astronomy is the study of planets, stars, and other stellar phenomena. It is used in conjuction with navigation in the RPG.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:27 pm

Dungeon Crawler

What if you don't travel? If you're land bound and have the mountain to your north, the great swamp to your south, and the sun always rises in the east and sets in the west what do you need to know the stars are for? Knowing ourselves in relation to the rest of the world and the universe at large is something that can easily fall on the wayside. Especially when your greatest worrys include will a mechanized killing machine get me and my family today?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:56 am

D-Bee

Excellent game you have here, Mr. Bellaire, I'm looking forward to a supplemental guide or two. Or three.
I do have a question however...
The Archangel's personal wing pack is allotted a number of bio-e points for eye + vision and other sensory enhancement upgrades only, but also receives bio-e points when a new level is attained. What are the limitations on these newly-acquired points? I ask this because I noticed that under some of the upgrades, it specifically says wing packs can also get them (namely enhanced regeneration, though I recall there being a few others). This also raises the question of living body armor upgrades. Can the bio-e points gained from levelling up be spent on any new feature, or are the upgrades still limited to those listed in the OCC description?

Thanks for any help!

edit: Another question was asked a bit back that I don't think was answered; and I would like to know the answer as well... Does the heavy hide living body armor really regenerate at 3d6 mdc per minute, or is it supposed to be per hour?

edit x 2: I just realized that the living body armor doesn't ever get any additional bio-e points, heh. Oh well.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:38 am

D-Bee

I'm going to piggy-back on Sigma's post in asking more specifically about Bio-E.

Isn't Bio-E a measure of how much bio-engineering advancement potential you have? Since you need to go back to engineers to have your host armor, gorehound, etc, upgraded, can't this potential be used to upgrade whichever biotech system you want? So if a Dreadlord REALLY wanted to upgrade his living armor backup instead of his host armor (rather unthinkable), he could. Or if a Roughneck managed to get his hands on a gorehound through gaming, he could use his Bio-E points, and have an engineer improve the hound.

Is there somewhere in the book that more specifically goes over the nature of Bio-E and its usage?

Cheers

Eggs

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:25 pm

Adventurer

I'd really like to know if Bio-E can only be used at/after every level up... I feel as though there should be a more friendly method to when you can have "growth spurts" (maybe there is and I should just bother reading the book). Something like every month or months or so many combats. I mean, the book goes through some character generation and shows that you can earn Bio-E doing tasks... but it's kinda pointless if you always have to wait to spend it on a level up... and if you just turned 14th level a little while ago, you have a long time to wait.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:37 am

D-Bee

eggs_alamode wrote:
Isn't Bio-E a measure of how much bio-engineering advancement potential you have? etc etc

It says somewhere in the book that piloting host armor puts a certain amount of strain on the human inside, and the more equipment on host armor, the more strain put upon the person. over time, the pilot is able to handle the strain better, and is physically able to handle new enhancements. Ill try to find a quote of that in a sec; i just finished re-reading the book, but i cant remember where exactly i read that...

And in response to shadow_otm, i think it does say in there somewhere that bio-e can only be spent at each level up, but i don't see why, as the game master, you cant just bend the rule a bit

edit: okay, i found the quote; i'm not gonna post it here cause im really lazy, but its at the beginning of step three (page 76). given the quote though, i really think its how you percieve bio-e to work... the way i see it, if a roughneck got his hands on a gore hound as a companion, when the roughneck levels up, his gorehound might get its own bio-e for enhancements, representing it's own growth, while the guy will still get his normal bio-e for upgrading his armor. but thats just me :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:56 am

Just a quick verification, for the Scarecrow entry (not in front of me this very second) it says something like they have +6d10 MDC + PE. Traditionally the other OCCs wouldn't list that first plus sign. Is that just an extraneous '+' or should there be a base number in front of it?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:53 pm

Hero

Actually, it says crows have +1d6x10+PE in MDC. The first + can be ignored in most cases unless you're converting an already MDC being - not likely but near anything is possible in Rifts.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:20 pm

demos606 wrote:
Actually, it says crows have +1d6x10+PE in MDC. The first + can be ignored in most cases unless you're converting an already MDC being - not likely but near anything is possible in Rifts.

Thanks I could remember the range, but not the number of dice. I figured that was the case, but it seemed a little low for something "going toe to toe" with machines. Even the wimpy drones in the fake cities have 200 MDC.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:24 pm

Hero

Actually, add the base MDC to my prefered chitinous armor and the crow is on par with host armors for MDC. Consider the 2d4 per melee regen and the fact they can regen from negative MDC without fear of dying and crows are outright impressive in their ability to stand toe to toe with robots. Also consider the supernatural PS and its effects in melee with MDC weapons - 41PE and 40PS on a crow and there were still physical skills with mods I didnt take. Crows are only as scary as you allow them to be - I like mine plenty scary.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:42 pm

Armor doesn't seem to go with their deceptively frail undead appearance, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Doesn't it specify that you don't add any damage mods to melee weapons unless they're SDC?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:03 pm

Hero

You dont add SN PS damage bonuses in melee but how many melee weapons do 5d6MD or more? (SN creatures use punch damage if its better than their weapon) Also consider you can pick up 1 ton boulders and such to throw as ballistic weapons. That wimpy acid etched dagger is suddenly a lot more dangerous in the hands of a crow and it still does its acid damage over the next few rounds on top of the extra melee damage.

While I agree armor doesnt seem to go with their undead appearance, I wont argue with their standard equipment including a suit of heavy MD armor for serious combat. I dont wear the armor for most things but fighting robots certainly qualifies as serious combat for me.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:56 am

Champion

Hmm i premit a thing, I bought Splicer because it wa son special offer.
Now I like some things of the games. But some others don't know.
bio-tech is cool.
But the nanoplague somehow seem a tad....forced.
Now Carmen don't take it bad, I like the games and most stuff, but the nanoplages seem to me a cheap trick to force player to use only the splicer technology.
On good point I'm happy to see you make large use of dice. After all does not exist only D6 or D20

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:37 am

D-Bee

i personally am in love with this game. the host armor is very well done as is all the bio-tech.

i was surprised by the number of people who don't like the plague. i think it's a great aspect of the setting. a wonderfully insane death from an insane computer, way too fun.

just pitching in a good opinion to ballance the bad.

thanks for writing this, can't wait for the sourcebooks.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:54 am

Rifter® Contributer

I'm with you. I think it's a brilliant idea. The board is filled with possible ways to get around it, but if you think about it, if there was a chance you could die evertime you touched metal, would you try to figure out how to use it anyway or would you run in terror everytime you saw a spoon.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:56 pm

D-Bee

oh god, now i can't stop thinking about the tick... :lol:

a cat... n' stuff

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:02 pm

Rifter® Contributer

Now you know why Spoon! is a terrifying battlecry.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:14 pm

Champion

slappy wrote:
I'm with you. I think it's a brilliant idea. The board is filled with possible ways to get around it, but if you think about it, if there was a chance you could die evertime you touched metal, would you try to figure out how to use it anyway or would you run in terror everytime you saw a spoon.

Well I would try to overcome the problem somehow. I'm fond of shiny object.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 2:59 am

Champion

Do Ranged Weapons have a "M.D.C. of Weapon"
like Melee Weapons and just about everything
else in Splicers?

Do Ranged Weapons if they have a "M.D.C. of Weapon",
regeneration like everything else?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:20 am

Champion

If I purchase a Ranged Weapon Upgrade for a
weapon like Organic Rockets or Trench Foot Mines.
That is a single tem that can be purchased multiple
times at a low cost. Does the Upgrade effect all
of the current (and maybe future purchases) of
that weapon or just a single one, like the more
expensive weapons?

Can Horns, Claws and Teeth be upgrade to the next
size with the different in cost? or Do you pay the
full cost of the next size? or Once you purchase
them you have them and they cannot be replaced?

Is there a list of the effects, cost and other fun
things that happen when you use Dentistry (p192) on
Horns and Teeth? Are the changes S.D.C. like in
the text or should it be M.D.C.?

What kind of Armor does a Dentist in the Resistance
wear or are they like the Falconer they work best
by 'remote control'? :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 3:49 am

Wanderer

I may have found a mistake in the stat listing for the Host Armor named "Rush" (my memory isn't working, but I believe its owner's name is Ralph the Red or something--he's only mentioned in the book a hundred times ;) ). After the section listing all the Host Armor enhancements, it uses Rush as an example of how to create a HA. For first level purchases, it lists Ambidexterity as one of them. Now, in its description, Ambidexterity has the prerequisite of Enhanced Neurological Connections; but ENC isn't one of Ralph's first level enhancements.

Which is wrong? The list of chosen enhancements, or the prerequisite listed?

Just my thoughts,
Poocho :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 4:26 am

Hero

I would say the enhancements list is based on Carmen's original bio-e list and wasnt updated when the list was edited... There are a number of such issues thruout the book. List is wrong, based on the way ambidex and enhanced neural are written the prereq makes sense.

*edit*

Went back thru the posts looking for something else for another debate I'm in and found Carmens original answer to this - yes, the prereq was added in editing after he wrote up Ralph's armor. (back on page 1 of this very thread no less)

Last edited by demos606 on Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:06 am

Wanderer

Okay. Thanks for the clarification.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:57 pm

Hero

Couple things that have come up recently on the boards:

Biotic PS:
The Enhanced Physical Strength upgrade limits Biotics to a PS of 40 and states that they have human strength. The Biotic OCC bonuses state they have Splicer PS - which strength is right and is the 40 PS cap for just that upgrade of an absolute upper limit for Biotics? Just for reference, its possible to get a 51 PS after the 1d8 OCC bonus and physical skills given a maximum of 2 bonus die for an exceptional stat (30 max before OCC/skills bonuses).

Legs: Multiple Pairs of:
Is the new lower body considered to have its own MDC total or is the 3d6x10 from the modification simply added to the main body MDC of the armor? Unlike Serpentine Lower Body, Multiple Legs is unclear on this matter.

Thanks for the clarifications :)

What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:12 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Question:

How could you even tell if it's Earth, from Maps? Isn't Gaia doing a massive overhaul of the planet's surface thanks to her Terraforming efforts? After 300 years of a schitzophrenic group of micro managers establishing what they think the place should "look"lke" It's highly unlikely, even if it was earth, that you'd be able to recognize any significant feature.

And even if you do find Mount Rushmore, who's to say that it's not a replica Mt. Rushmore?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:12 pm

Hero

Such musings are precisely why Carmen never actually said what planet Splicers is set on. Legends of Rushmore, Lincoln, Washington or wherever else may simply be fragmented oral histories from before the colony on whatever planet this is was created - or it could actually be Earth, thats the twisted beauty of it all. The planet can be whatever suits your needs.

What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:31 pm

Champion

Carmen, I would like to start by saying that I was told that your book was "The Guyver" meets "The Terminator" and while that may be a fair take, after reading it I feel it is a very well done game setting. I enjoyed your use of biological technology, and you have taken it to such an extreme it has a very real sense of trepidation. Have the humans abandoned their very humanity in an effort to survive? This to me is the central theme, and I think very well done. I hope you can get a sourcebook or two together to elaborate on some of the more generalized aspects of the story, and maybe include more info on how normal humans that are not part of the resistance survive on a daily basis. Also information on the often mentioned Great Houses would be...ehem...great.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:19 am

Explorer

Well, folks, I just recieved my signed copy of this, thanks to the efforts of a wonderful girl I hope to call my wife one day. Faults or no faults, I'm digging this sucker with a steam shovel. I've been toying with ideas of "organic technology" ever since Systems Failure, and this is just about the epitome of natural progression on the idea.

By the by, most of the errata in question did get covered in the first page or two of this here thread, and anything else, well. . .

It does actually say something about the Machine being around for multiple generations, and humans are a generally lazy lot. Hey, if you can get something else to think for you, why not? Who needs to do all that tedious philosophizing (sp) when you've got this wonderful planet-wide AI doing all that thinking for you? All you've got to do is go about your mindless drone-life, eating your healthy breakfast, taking lunch at your menial job, and coming home to a tasty dinner.

As someone once said(the exact quote escapes me), if you keep the populace fat and happy, they're not likely to question anything you do. I think it was in the RMB, under Prosek's school paper on Hitler.

Feh. It's midnight, I've been reading this since I got it around three, and I'm off to bed now.

Oh, and for those of you in the office who remember,

Hail Bob.

Also check out,
www.duelingzone.com
www.belegarth.com
www.durdemarion.com

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:40 am

Champion

Was going to ask about what in a Medical kit, but that's on page 153 in the Outrider's Standard Equipment.

But the other question is in every OCC's Standard Equipment is something like the following: "...light or heavy Bio-Weapon of choice and one weapon for each W.P. with an appropriate amount of ammunition,". Is ammunition for the Bio-Weapon or for the W.P.'s weapon like a bow or crossbow? If for the Bio-Weapon does that mean that there is a way to external load it like the Shard weapons .(open mouth for feeding it bone)? Is just a 'copy and paste' or is the answer coming it the future sourcebook .(may we all live that long)?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:05 pm

Champion

Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!
Anyone notice hand to hand combat: commando is not available to any class at this time?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:34 am

Hero

Comment: Disingenuous mountebanks and their subliminal chicanery! A pox on them! - Homer Simpson
I just received a copy of Splicers, and have read up through the section on the robots, and then skipped around looking for the OCC's. This brought up a host of questions.

For example, do you get the impression that the nano-plague-bots can fly? Or that they permeate inside the denizens of that world (somehow bypassing their natural immune response)? Because porting characters OUT seems like a much liklier event than porting characters IN (sort of the reverse of Wormwood).

The reason I am asking is that since the nano-plage-bots are described as non-self-replicating, then each person only carries around a finite number of them. If these bots then get activated by metal/flesh contact, then some of the nanites then would have to leave the person to activate the hostile response, and even if the nanites were not expended, that would mean that there were X less on the person (X being the number - or percentage - that left to initiate response).

If the nanites are expended in this process (as I would argue particularly in the case of the animated drone response), then that gets rid of a bunch of them. Even if they didn't get expended, unless they can "fly back" to the original host, they are just stuck on the metal in question (which would probably be reduced to slag anyway).

Regardless, in either case I would argue that the percentage of hostile response would correspond to a percentage depeletion of nanites in the person that left Splicerlandia, and after two or three times of touching metal there probably wouldn't be any nanite activity worth speaking of (and if the nanites were restricted to the outside of the person, as it implies by the fact that infants in the womb are not affected until they are actually exposed to Splicerlania air, then they could probably be reduced further by other cleansing means - like a chemical/radiation/extreme temperature exposure).

What I like about that idea is that even if the plague response is gone, the person is still going to have what is effectively a phobia about touching exposed metal tech - which they are likely NEVER going to get over (simply because it is what they have been exposed to for so long).

"Things aren't what they used to be" is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.
Best Served Cold, Joe Abercrombie