Board index » MDC Worlds » Splicers®

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:56 am

Hero

What sort of musical instruments would splicers play/grow/make?
I’m asking mostly for curiosities sake, but it could make a good occ or skill.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:42 pm

Champion

Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!
it would be interesting to see a bard or troubadour OCC for Splicers. Since most of the history of the Houses is passed down orally, a "Living Historian" OCC would have a station or position in a House, to recount deeds & actions of their House, and also provide bona-fides at the start of meetings & negotiations. Those bound to a House are respected, earning the patronage of the Warlord, while those calling themselves 'freelancers', unbound or banished from a House are viewed with some suspicion. These unbound Living Historians find some measure of comfort with the roaming Technojacker tribes.

Some Living Historians can act as spies & scouts, even using sharp whistle or flute-tones to help co-ordinate different groups during a battle.

Most musical instruments, at least the smaller ones, would be made from bone or wood, grown & sculpted. small flutes & whistles, the occasional jaw-harp or harmonica-like instrument would be easy to carry & conceal.
Small ukulele-like guitars are also easily portable, but less concealable. The strings would be filament-like & grown as part of the instrument itself.
The larger instruments are less portable & require a stable place to maintain them.

Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:08 am

Palladin

iirc, the librarians are able to record memories and act as the historians already.

i do think it would be interesting to see how music would change with completely biological tech :)

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:08 pm

Champion

I couldn't think of a different name at the time. It seems most of the appropriate names have already been taken/copyrighted.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:10 pm

Hero

Has anyone ever made living bagpipes?

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:50 pm

Hero

Any new thoughts?

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:49 pm

Champion

Shark_Force wrote:
iirc, the librarians are able to record memories and act as the historians already.

i do think it would be interesting to see how music would change with completely biological tech :)

Yes, but they are bound to the Brain-Pool of the House (see this: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=149385) & pretty much limited. While a Bard/Troubadour/Talesinger would be more mobile, able to travel between not only different parts of the House, but also other Houses (as stated above) and Technojacker Tribes. They can also act as 'memory-couriers', able to eye-witness accounts such as great battles, weddings, House mergings, ect. A loyal Troubadour would then (if they survived) return to their Librarian & 'upload' the memories to the Librarian. In this way, the Troubadour acts like a living thumb-drive. It isn't that far a stretch to have a Troubadour working often with a Deliveryman (Rifter #32) on sensitive information gathering missions.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:55 pm

Palladin

to a librarian, pretty much everyone is a living thumb-drive already. they most likely already use scarecrows as remote spy cameras on a regular basis.

a class that could do that sort of thing *without* involving a librarian could be interesting though.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:40 pm

Champion

Shark_Force wrote:
to a librarian, pretty much everyone is a living thumb-drive already. they most likely already use scarecrows as remote spy cameras on a regular basis.

a class that could do that sort of thing *without* involving a librarian could be interesting though.

Quite true, but a wise Librarian leaves no resource underutilized. A Scarecrow is excellent for espionage & covert information gathering, a Balladeer can go places the Scarecrow can't, or wouldn't be able to; Great Halls, special gatherings, ect.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:52 pm

Palladin

BookWyrm wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:

Quite true, but a wise Librarian leaves no resource underutilized. A Scarecrow is excellent for espionage & covert information gathering, a Balladeer can go places the Scarecrow can't, or wouldn't be able to; Great Halls, special gatherings, ect.

sure, but you still don't need any special OCC for that, because librarians can use *anyone* as a living thumb-drive. you can have a random person, a senator that the librarian has bribed, an ambitious bodyguard, or whoever (including musicians and other entertainers, of course).

basically anyone who wants something that the librarian could potentially give... and a librarian can potentially give quite a bit. bonus bio-e, information on a hated rival, the use of their scarecrows, a custom-designed piece of bio-tech, wealth, influence, etc.

again, that doesn't mean there isn't potential to have a troubador OCC that can tell stories via memory projection or learn stories by experiencing other people's memories. it just means there is little need for it to directly be a servant of the librarians.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:43 pm

Hero

Any music style attacks that the great houses can use against the machine?

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:40 pm

Hero

I doubt it. The Machine should have access to noise cancelling technology hundreds of times more precise and powerful then ours. In the inverse why hasn't the machine used sound as a weapon?

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:50 am

D-Bee

I guess that violins and other string instruments could be created with a biological base: that's already pretty much what some IRL insects are doing when they're rubbing their hind legs together!