When getting DNA for Genetisist or Engineer

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

When getting DNA for Genetisist or Engineer

Unread post by RiftJunkie »

Are we talking just a few strands, or enough to be used as source material in the GenePool?
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).
boxee
Hero

Re: When getting DNA for Genetisist or Engineer

Unread post by boxee »

I would say just a sample.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Seems like it only needs a small sample. Once you have the pattern and can manipulate the pattern the basic components are simple to acquire its the blue print of how to put it back together again thats hard. The gene pool is a vat of the components feed in the template or samples to adjust a template and its like a big bio organic 3d printer.
Q99
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Q99 »

Hm, it depends on the process. If the process is destructive to the sample, and/or needs to be plentiful enough to be clearly distinguishable from other nearby samples like surrounding bacteria, you may need a little quantity. And too small a sample may not survive the trip all the way back in good shape.

That said, a vial of blood, a finger, any noticeable chunk of tissue is probably fine.
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Guy_LeDouche »

Like everyone else, I'm thinking a pretty small sample would be enough. We are talking about a world where three headed dragons can be grown in a matter of months. I don't have the main book in front of me, but I think it even mentions that the Librarians and Engineers are able to "see" or somehow perceive individual strands and even the components and make up of the strands.

If we look at today's technology and extrapolate from that, even small samples should be more than enough: saliva, blood, hair (as long as the follicles are intact), finger/toenail clippings. There are several ways to collect DNA samples, many of which are fairly non-invasive and painless. Depending on the sample, DNA can be kept for from 5 to 35 years if handled property. If you like, you can purchase DNA testing kits that are extremely user friendly and provide complete packaging and mailing instructions. Even without the kits, the DNA collection process for saliva, hair and fingernails is fairly simple and can be done using just a few household items.

In the Splicers world, you could pull a Jurassic Park. Create a blood sucking mosquito or equivalent, "program" it with the target, and turn it loose.
Last edited by Guy_LeDouche on Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fairy tales begin with "Once upon a time". Southern fairy tales begin with "Y'all ain't gonna believe this s**t!!"

XBL Gamertag: Guy L3D0uch3

If Keanu Reeves had played Thulsa Doom, he would have told Conan to contemplate on the Tree of Whoa..
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by RiftJunkie »

Sounds pretty much like I thought. Just wasn't sure if you needed to drag a carcass off the field back to the House like they do from the boneyards for raw material to build with.
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

RiftJunkie wrote:Sounds pretty much like I thought. Just wasn't sure if you needed to drag a carcass off the field back to the House like they do from the boneyards for raw material to build with.

I am inclined to agree with Guy Ledouche as well.

Although, don't shun the idea of live captures just yet either. There are things that might taint or compromise your sample for one. Not to mention the DNA of something is only part of the puzzle in designing something. Without seeing how that creature interacts and utilizes its attributes, (let alone special attributes), one may not know for certain how or why a species does a certain thing or how well it implements it's attributes. Having a live capture for study helps the Librarians to better understand the samples they are designing and manipulating so that they can create better designs. The only other option is to stab your field ops for their observations, experiences and take on things, and not everyone is as easy going and voluntary with that process. Not to mention they may only have witnessed partial aspects of a creature's instincts & attributes and may not be the best summary of certain abilities or utilizations of that creature's attributes. So I still suggest live captures.

Return to “Splicers®”