Eve: How do you play her?

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Eve: How do you play her?

Unread post by RiftJunkie »

Ok, so she has no problems killing humans when it suits her needs. How often does this happen? How often would she stop a robot legion from a massed assault? Does she freely communicate with humans on a semi-regular basis? What could be her reasons for killing humans or aren't we supposed to know?
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).
Slight001
Hero

Re: Eve: How do you play her?

Unread post by Slight001 »

I see her as the crazy mother who loves her children so long as they behave like she wants but when they won't do as they are told... well those who don't listen need to be punished and what better punishment than to remove the problem children from the equation?
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

being opposed by 6 (stronger) personalities means she is generally not going to get far by attempting to stop armies for the most part (at least, apart from the fact that retro-villagers are not attacked constantly... but note, even then, she can't really stop an army that is directly planning on destroying a retro-village because they've broken the rules).

i would say she doesn't kill humans by action, rather only really doing it by inaction or indirect means. that is, she won't raze a village to the ground, but if allowing a village to be razed to the ground will somehow prevent 2 villages from being destroyed (for example, by having one village take the blame for something that would have earned death for all humans known to be in the area if they didn't step forward and admit it), she will allow one village to be blamed to protect the others. in extreme situations, she might arrange for someone to take the blame (and thus doom a village to save others), but she wouldn't be the one to destroy the village directly.

i would say she very rarely communicates with humans, and humans likewise very rarely communicate with her... they know of her existence, but they don't really trust her. which is pretty reasonable, seeing as how she's no less insane than the rest of them.
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Ok. I guess I'm just trying to figure out any Machine/human interaction. Kinda sounds like little to none or just taunting from one of the other personalities.
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

RiftJunkie wrote:Ok. I guess I'm just trying to figure out any Machine/human interaction. Kinda sounds like little to none or just taunting from one of the other personalities.

Slappy and I have an adventure/sourcebook, "SPLICERS: Legion" that we are anxious to see published that would address and demonstrate your inquiry very well.

With that being said, I would suggest the campaign start off with a more general interaction with none to very little Personality indications. The more the PCs perform, the more they begin to detect sleight hints or feint traces of a Personality behind the metal seams. Have the Players field actions, sorties and affects garner the growing attention a personality or two. Thus, they will begin to see the surfacing and interactions of a Personality here or there (maybe small minor ones at first before one of the Major Seven of NEXUS).

Eventually developing a rivalry and bounty on the head(s) of the PC(s) as they foil the plans or agendas of a Personality more often than another, or actually aid a Personality over another. etc. It doesn't have to be stiff Terminator style machine setting, and I suggest it be quite the opposite as it makes for a more entertaining experience. Mann... I wish you guys could see the adventure Slappy has cooked up for you all, it really gives a good demonstration on just how a GM can really incorporate the various aspects of the Machine and a personality into a campaign, let alone should the GM opt for more than one Personality. As a GM, you can make things get real.... nasty and personal or things can be fulfilling and enlightening, but it works best when it is built up in a campaign.

Examples: Eve - Could demonstrate some aspects when necessary to help save the PCs if they are doing something that seems to be beneficial for a large population of humanity (i.e.: stopping a leaking dam from flooding a Retro-village, bringing supplies and medicine to a starving population, etc.). Eves actions could be disguised, subtle actions like "temporarily" shutting down ("rebooting for systems check" at a coincidental time) a satellite weapon, Land Dominator or Sentry Tower to give the group ample time to get to a destination without bombardment. Eve could send a rogue Nex-Android or Labor Drone with a spewing sporadic message warning humans that come across it that an attack is on the way or that a certain population ahead of he platoon is plagued with a disease or has Wastecrawlers ties and alliances among its citizens.

Or it could be that dark side of Eve, specifically hunting down a human teenager who has a virus that could potentially threaten a large population of humans or be a weaponized prototype nanobot designed to threaten Technojackers, but perhaps this virus also has a secret gift for affecting and stimulating Biotech, thus is a desired weapon by the Resistance. Eve wants the carrier destroyed and will raze an entire haven to do so to preserve the rest of the global human population. Maybe Eve is fearful that the Machine has gone too far and is concerned with the global stability and purity of the human genome (particularly those not exposed to Biotech) and she secretly plots how to lead some humans that she has come to trust to a secret cache of humans frozen in cryo stasis. These humans could be stored before the pre-War age and may have some intel on the planet before the great wars.

Maybe Eve is captivated by one of the PCs as they resemble one of the original NEXUS programmers and Eve thinks she is truly in love with them. This could present all sorts of interesting dynamics. An EXTREMELY SEXY Eve Avatar Nex-Android that wants to be with her mate no matter what and will do anything to protect them, try to seduce and mate with them (oh my) and will be constantly remade and improved "if" destroyed to seek them out, time and time again. Talk about a Fatal Attraction and awesome Bodyguard fused into one sexy bombshell (punt intended) :D
This could cause all sorts of concerns and possibilities among the great house about this PC. Could the PC actually manipulate Eve with this attraction for the benefit of the House or is this PC actually an infiltrator and the PC and the team must try to prove his innocence and is banned from the haven until they can prove it? Is the Great House concerned that the PC could frustrate Eve by not accepting her advances and they don't want to deal with a scorned Eve?

just so many entertaining possibilities and ways you can incorporate each machine's personality to generate unique interactions. Gaia, Lilith and Kali can really get scary.

In a nutshell, void a dry Machine experience and it boils down to being a GM's call and innovation.
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Wow.....

Ok, apparently I need to jump into a gene-pool for a while. My imagination is slipping a bit. Great Ideas!
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

RiftJunkie wrote:Wow.....

Ok, apparently I need to jump into a gene-pool for a while. My imagination is slipping a bit. Great Ideas!

:lol: Gene Pools are always a good soother, but naw, your in good shape. I am glad to help and your question is one of the many things that we plan to answer and help guide with our submitted material for Splicers sourcebooks to help expound and expand this entertaining setting.

Return to “Splicers®”