Idea for new bio-tech weapon (Swarmburster Stabcannon)

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

GunSeraph06
D-Bee

Idea for new bio-tech weapon (Swarmburster Stabcannon)

Unread post by GunSeraph06 »

Having always loved the concept of bore cannons and grubs, I put together the following concept. I will draw what it looks like and post it in this topic soon. Enjoy, and please let me know what you think!

Swarmburster Stabcannon:

This nasty piece of bio-weaponry is based off advanced research into developing a bore cannon capable of burst-fire. Upgraded from a normal Light Bore Cannon, the Swarmburster Stabcannon is actually a ranged and a melee weapon. As a ranged weapon, the 2-3 foot, reinforced five-barreled cannon can fire bursts of 5 or 10 Swarmbursters at a time, as determined by the user. The Swarmbursters that hit and penetrate the target immediately begin seeking the hottest heat sources in the victim, chewing their way toward them for approximately 45 seconds. After the 45 seconds, the Swarmbursters explode for even more damage. The reinforced barrels are joined at the center and form a needle-like tip capable of causing piercing/stabbing damage. On a particularly fortuitous melee strike that penetrates into the target, the user can inject 5 or 10 Swarmbursters, and woe be to the victim that suffers that unfortunate outcome. These Swarmbursters will rend metal, flesh, and other materials without regard to the victim, be it robot, rival House warriors, War Mount, or innocent human bystander. Because of this, the Swarmburster Stabcannon is definitely not for the faint of heart.

Cost: 40 Bio-E Points.

Range: 2600 feet (ranged option), melee range (melee option).

Rate of Fire: A 5 or 10 round burst counts as 1 melee attack, can only fire bursts. A melee strike with the Swarmburster Stabcannon counts as 1 melee attack)

Bonuses: +3 to strike

Damage:

Ranged: 1D8 MD per Swarmburster that hits (roll a D10 to determine for a 10 round burst, halve and round up for a 5 round burst). Each Swarmburster that hit does an additional 1D4 MD for 3 melee rounds, then each Swarmburster explodes on the 4th melee round for 1D6 MD per Swarmburster (i.e., if 6 of a 10 round burst hit, initial MD would be 6D8 MD; the next 3 melee rounds would deal an additional 6D4 MD, and then explode on the 4th melee round for 6D6 MD). GM's discretion if penetrating Swarmbursters result in penalties for the target.

Melee: 3D6 + P.S. MD as a stabbing/punching weapon. On a to-hit roll resulting in a natural 18, 19, or 20, the user is able to inject 5 or 10 Swarmbursters into the melee target, with them causing an additional 1D4 MD for 3 melee rounds and each exploding on the 4th round for an additional 1D6 MD per injected Swarmburster. On a to-hit roll resulting into a natural 1, the Swarmburster Stabcannon takes 3D6 + P.S. MD, and is out of commission until the damage can be regenerated. GM's discretion if injected Swarmbursters result in penalties for the target.

Payload: 160 Swarmbursters, that's 16 long 10-round bursts or 32 5-round short bursts. The user can produce 10 Swarmbursters in 5D6 minutes. To reload its entire payload, 3D4 hours are required; replenishing Swarmbursters is an automatic function for the weapon.

Restrictions: Any Ranged Weapon Enhancements only apply to the ranged option of the Swarmburster Stabcannon; players cannot use the Opti Upgrade to increase the chance of injecting Swarmbursters in a melee strike beyond a natural 18, 19, or 20. Nice try!

Prerequisites: Light Bore Cannon, which is replaced by the Swarmburster Stabcannon.
krispy
Hero
Comment: Luck favors the prepared

Re: Idea for new bio-tech weapon (Swarmburster Stabcannon)

Unread post by krispy »

Hey mate,

I love combing weapons to provide new avenues for combat, and this weapon does that…. I like it 

Ever since I started writing for my Splicerverse, I found myself constantly looking at checks and balances to my designs.

If I created a weapon that was more powerful than existing ones, I would introduce certain elements into the design to keep a balance in the game.
I would either reduce the payload, or the rate of fire; or both. Sometimes I would add a strength requirement or reduction of range, or penalty to accuracy etc etc

May I suggest tweaking the damage and payload a bit, or adding some other form of penalty to balance the weapon; because when I look at the Medium Bore Cannon in which yours is supposed to replace, it appears considerably more powerful.
connecting the dots

Return to “Splicers®”