Board index » MDC Worlds » Splicers®

 


Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: Nanoplague fix/variation
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:47 am
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:29 am
Posts: 1766
Location: West Central region of Indiana
First let me say I've got a head cold and am very tired. If things don't make a lot of sense, that's why.

This morning at work, my coworker/gm and I were spit balling ideas on how we could bring pre-existing pc's into the splicerverse without it being an instant TPK as a result of the nanoplauge

I came up with the following rough idea that he seemed to be excited about. I'm only going to give the basics here. If you're interested in hearing what all we've come up with so far let me know/encourage me and I'll post more.
Nate

The nanaobots only effect mdc metals; sdc metals are completely unaffected. the nanobots consume an mdc metal object and replicate its form/structure/properties in the process. So if the nanobots consume a mdc metal trash can, in its place is an exact replica of the trashcan composed entirely of nanobots. It looks and functions exactly like the original trash can. When a human(humanoid) gets within range of the nanobots, they react not by attacking but by spontaneously losing cohesion. Where there was once a mdc trashcan there is now a pile of fine mdc dust/nano particles. When the human/humanoid leaves the effective sensor range of the nanobots they immediately begin to reform/reassemble themselves into the trashcan form (or whatever they formed as).

we have rough ideas for how this interacts with robots
what control the machine does or does not have over the nanobots
how to destroy or render the nanobots inert
hazards posed by piles of mdc metal dust
dangers posed by the nonviolent nanobot response
and more.

let me know if you'd like to see more

(a quick why on why sdc metal is unaffected.. sd weapons/materials won't harm or withstand the robots md armor/attacks so it doesn't hurt to leave them be. But they are still useful for offense/defense against other npcs/and the environment.)

_________________
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:
Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:
And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:


Last edited by The Oh So Amazing Nate on Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:53 am
  

D-Bee

Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:00 pm
Posts: 22
Excellent points! Another interesting question...what would happen if an Anti-Monster (mystical cyborg from Colombia in South America) with its "magical" nanites came through to Splicers world?

Another possibility, metals from other dimensions are radioactive to the Splicer world nano-plague, and are considered harmful to them? Some element, based upon not being native to that world/dimension, causes the nano-plague to avoid them? Maybe they try, and the other-dimensional metal "tastes" wrong?

Perhaps there is a phage (or some other factor) that exists on other-dimensional metals that kills the nano-plague, kind of like a reverse War of the Worlds scenario?


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:12 am
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:29 am
Posts: 1766
Location: West Central region of Indiana
GunSeraph06 wrote:
Excellent points!


Thank you

Quote:
Another interesting question...what would happen if an Anti-Monster (mystical cyborg from Colombia in South America) with its "magical" nanites came through to Splicers world?

Another possibility, metals from other dimensions are radioactive to the Splicer world nano-plague, and are considered harmful to them? Some element, based upon not being native to that world/dimension, causes the nano-plague to avoid them? Maybe they try, and the other-dimensional metal "tastes" wrong?

Perhaps there is a phage (or some other factor) that exists on other-dimensional metals that kills the nano-plague, kind of like a reverse War of the Worlds scenario?



No, not gonna do that. No gonna derail the thread to a different/alternate topic on the first reply. Not cool dude. It's an open forum; if you'd like feedback on your thoughts you are welcome to start your own thread.

Respectfully,

The to sick and tired for any nonsense Nate

_________________
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:
Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:
And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:14 am
  

D-Bee

Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:00 pm
Posts: 22
Ok, my mistake, won't post in your threads anymore...

Thought you were looking for additional ideas


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:22 am
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:29 am
Posts: 1766
Location: West Central region of Indiana
You can post in my threads, but please don't try to change the topic.

If you read the thread (rather than just the topic title) you'll see that the whole thread boils down to 3 sentences, with #3 being the most important of them
.

1. I had an idea
2. This is my idea
3. Do you want to hear more about MY idea?

Yes, it is very egocentric but the point is to see if folks are interested in me developing this and what they think about this singular topic. Sometimes I'll ask for other ideas or what people think on a topic, but not this time.
Have a good day Mr. Seraph

_________________
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:
Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:
And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:23 am
  

D-Bee

Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:00 pm
Posts: 22
Yep, all yours dude. Enjoy.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:26 am
  

User avatar
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:45 pm
Posts: 10834
Location: Working on getting Splicers more support!!!
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!
I've posted this a few times Nate, and I see that the nano-plague in the scenario given is so that you can bring PC's from other games into Splicers, but I personally like Splicers to be dimensionally isolated. It is what it is. I don't think the nano-plague needs fixing.

To your point, however, in that situation, I like the idea of it not affecting SDC materials, but not the idea of it fully replacing an existing item.

_________________
Image
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:
I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:
You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote:
The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:
Because DINOSAURS.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:50 am
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:29 am
Posts: 1766
Location: West Central region of Indiana
The Galactus Kid wrote:
I've posted this a few times Nate, and I see that the nano-plague in the scenario given is so that you can bring PC's from other games into Splicers, but I personally like Splicers to be dimensionally isolated. It is what it is. I don't think the nano-plague needs fixing.

To your point, however, in that situation, I like the idea of it not affecting SDC materials, but not the idea of it fully replacing an existing item.



The idea of it fully replacing an item is to keep the pc's from utilizing MDC metals (they're ALL composed of/infected by nannites) without it trying to actively murder them. These nanobots are more passive-aggressive than straight out aggressive. Think of it like the "no touching the strippers rule" You can look all you like, but if you get 'to close' it gets taken away from you and doesn't come back until you leave. (take my reply with a grain of salt. my head is swimming from sinus pressure)

example: The players are on a scavenging mission and find a huge slab of mega steel. it would be perfect as door or a wall, or even cut up ont small pieces as reinforcing panels. However when they get near it, the nanobots sense them and destabilize. turning the sheet of mega steel into a big blanket of mdc metal dust. The players are out of luck. This effect only works on exposed metals. If your mdc I-beams are insulated by concrete the pc's can walk around all day without fear of the buildings structural support spontaneously disintegrating and dropping a building on them. there is more to this, such as what happens when the pc's leave, why it happens. etc

_________________
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:
Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:
And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:54 am
  

User avatar
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:45 pm
Posts: 10834
Location: Working on getting Splicers more support!!!
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!
The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:
Think of it like the "no touching the strippers rule"

This is literally the best thing you have ever written.

_________________
Image
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:
I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:
You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote:
The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:
Because DINOSAURS.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:48 pm
  

User avatar
Hero

Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:11 pm
Posts: 1017
So how do Technojackers make use of this? Do they have to maintain a level of mental control to prevent them from "dissolving" when others come near them?

_________________
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:50 am
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:29 am
Posts: 1766
Location: West Central region of Indiana
The Galactus Kid wrote:
The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:
Think of it like the "no touching the strippers rule"

This is literally the best thing you have ever written.


I can't even be mad at you galactus kid, because when taken out of context and added with your quote it's all pretty funny. But in my defense, I've written a lot of stuff this can't be the best

_________________
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:
Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:
And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:20 am
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:29 am
Posts: 1766
Location: West Central region of Indiana
Razorwing wrote:
So how do Technojackers make use of this? Do they have to maintain a level of mental control to prevent them from "dissolving" when others come near them?


I'm still sick so I'm not going to go into all of the details as I might not have worked them all out yet but basically the techno jackers don't trigger the response to dissolve. No mental control needed.

_________________
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:
Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:
And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:


          Top  
 
Offline
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:49 am
  

User avatar
Palladin

Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:37 pm
Posts: 7019
Location: Pyramid
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.
I just realized... seeing as how the Rifter rules on hacking and virtual combat are all canon... we could totally add a new dimension to splicers by having Technojackers and capable offworlders directly interfacing with the software of NEXUS and its personalities and AIs within nanobots or robots.

The idea of hacking a nanobot seems a bit confusing though... they are probably simplistic to ovewhelm on an individual basis, but the sheer number of them may make actually communicating with them en-masse difficult.

_________________
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:16 am
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:29 am
Posts: 1766
Location: West Central region of Indiana
The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:
Razorwing wrote:
So how do Technojackers make use of this? Do they have to maintain a level of mental control to prevent them from "dissolving" when others come near them?


I'm still sick so I'm not going to go into all of the details as I might not have worked them all out yet but basically the techno jackers don't trigger the response to dissolve. No mental control needed.


razorwing i had to re read your post now that my head has cleared. If a humanoid comes within the sensor range of the nanobots, 5 feet, this will trigger the nanobots to dissolve. If the nanobots are under the control of a techno jacker and a humanoid comes within the range then yes the techno jacker will have to exert a force of will to maintain his control over the nanobots. There are two ways to avoid this 1 keep humanoids outside of the effective sensor range. 2 insulate your nano bot constructs with something that dulls the sensors.

_________________
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:
Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:
And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:20 pm
  

User avatar
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:45 pm
Posts: 10834
Location: Working on getting Splicers more support!!!
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!
The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:
The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:
Think of it like the "no touching the strippers rule"

This is literally the best thing you have ever written.


I can't even be mad at you galactus kid, because when taken out of context and added with your quote it's all pretty funny. But in my defense, I've written a lot of stuff this can't be the best

I don't know, man. You had me laughing out lud so hard that my coworkers were staring.

_________________
Image
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:
I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:
You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote:
The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:
Because DINOSAURS.


          Top  
 
 
Post new topic Reply to topic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group