Electrical Weapons + Paired WP

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Electrical Weapons + Paired WP

Unread post by Tor »

Rifter 50 page 85 notes under the Electrical Stunner upgrade that page 101 of Splicers should be read as being able to add the electrical damage to melee attacks.

Do you think this means it costs 2 attacks, like a power-punch? 1 to charge the electricity, the other to throw the charged punch? Or if you added it to a power-punch, 3 attacks?

Or do you think the cost of 1 attack is simply ignored and we just go by whatever the attack normally costs?

Do you think this applies to hand-held weapons in addition to things like punches?

If so, I am wondering what happens if you are wielding paired WP and split your attacks against 2 different targets, if they would both take the full Electrical damage, or if you would only be able to hit 1 of them for full, or if you would divide the damage rolled in half and apply half to each target.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Shark_Force
Palladin

Re: Electrical Weapons + Paired WP

Unread post by Shark_Force »

i would say an action to start it up (and another action later to stop it once the fight is done), doesn't work on melee weapons that aren't part of whatever is generating the electricity unless otherwise noted (it's not like they're made of metal, right?), and if you hit twice with double weapons that do conduct the charge then you deal full damage twice (though if you have something that has limited uses, you would also expend two uses to do so of course).
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Tor wrote: Rifter 50 page 85 notes under the Electrical Stunner upgrade that page 101 of Splicers should be read as being able to add the electrical damage to melee attacks.

Correct.
Tor wrote: Do you think this means it costs 2 attacks, like a power-punch? 1 to charge the electricity, the other to throw the charged punch? Or if you added it to a power-punch, 3 attacks?

No. You effectively can "charge up" and cause add that damage to all melee attacks. I would say activating the electrical stunner would cost an action, but then it would just be on for the duration of combat.

Tor wrote: Or do you think the cost of 1 attack is simply ignored and we just go by whatever the attack normally costs?

You could also play it this way (This is how our group plays it)

Tor wrote: Do you think this applies to hand-held weapons in addition to things like punches?

It does not, unless the weapon has been specifically modified to allow this (Ask your G.M. or wait until Genetic Expressions hits)

Tor wrote: If so, I am wondering what happens if you are wielding paired WP and split your attacks against 2 different targets, if they would both take the full Electrical damage, or if you would only be able to hit 1 of them for full, or if you would divide the damage rolled in half and apply half to each target.

Both full.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

So if using paired WP to hit 2 targets makes each take full electrical damage, effectively doubling the output...

If you use a twin strike against a single target would the full damage be added to each weapon?

*hopes that Jeridu and Xiticix can't use Splicers equipment*
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Shark_Force
Palladin

i don't see any reason why not.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I guess the main reason is that it allows them to amplify their energy output which could seem a bit unfair.

If someone can generate enough energy to add twice as much total damage to melee (via paired attack) then it seems odd they cannot launch that at range.
Shark_Force
Palladin

if they could attack twice as often, they'd be able to transfer the energy at range too. the weapon has the capacity, it's the person firing that is too slow.

that said, if it really bothers you that much, you should really consider the amount of energy expended in getting the electricity to jump 500 feet. if that was easy, you'd get electrocuted just by being in the same room as a battery or an electrical outlet.
The Galactus Kid

Tor wrote:So if using paired WP to hit 2 targets makes each take full electrical damage, effectively doubling the output...

If you use a twin strike against a single target would the full damage be added to each weapon?

This is correct. It can get nasty real quick.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

So if each individual thing hitting gets full bonus damage...

page 89 says Multiple Insect limbs can all hit at once, kinda like Xiticix...octuple electric damage!

page 101 says Flying Blades can be launched in a volley if they are all on 1 forearm and no cap is given to how many you can have on your arm, and it is super cheap...spent 40 Bio-E for 10x damage, spend 80 for 20x, etc. plus get a nice range boost for the multi-melee electrocution, FB has same range as Electric so you would pretty much use it all the time and only lose range for melee if it was Lightning.
Shark_Force
Palladin

flying blades are technically ranged. still, i don't think GM approval would be super-hard to have it transfer (it's considered a ranged weapon, but it does connect you to the target kinda like a taser), but i'd be inclined to treat a volley as one attack; that is, if you make one roll for the attack, you apply the damage once.
The Galactus Kid

Shark_Force wrote:flying blades are technically ranged. still, i don't think GM approval would be super-hard to have it transfer (it's considered a ranged weapon, but it does connect you to the target kinda like a taser), but i'd be inclined to treat a volley as one attack; that is, if you make one roll for the attack, you apply the damage once.

I would treat it this way as well. Same with the tentacle harpoon.

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Ah yeah, overlooked the Serrated Whip too, would extend melee range and make for a neat combo-attack. Harpoon is definitely superior range though, would double the range of an Electrical Discharge via touch, and if you doubled it via a RWU then it would exceed Lightning.

Return to “Splicers®”