Behemoth Bio-Weapon Systems details and modifications

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Behemoth Bio-Weapon Systems details and modifications

Unread post by Tor »

So I figure these are the longest-range weapons, at least on the human side, which makes them a pretty important factor. I'm wondering about the mechanics though.

If we loot at the Draco on page 115, they have a convenient "pounds of food per blast" cost. I think it would be good to have that for the Behemoth as well, as it mentions Behemoths can begin to regenerate their payloads before fully expending them (always grazing) so if we got a pounds-per-shot for the Behemoth weapons, the hour-count can begin as soon as a single shot is fired, so long as there is extra food in the belly.

Page 112 lists pounds of food for the entire payload of the Casting Gun (500 pounds for 120 rounds) so we can reduce that to 50 for 12, then 25 for 6, 12.5 for 3, or 4.16 pounds of foot per shot, which is less than half the poundage needed for a napalm blast. Pretty sweet deal, considering how much more effective the Casting gun is, dat range.

Page 113 similarly lists pounds of food for the entire payload of Organic Missiles (300 pounds for 32 missiles) so we can reduce that to 150 for 16, 75 for 8, 37.5 for 4, 18.75 for 2, or 9.375 pounds of matter per missile, still cheaper than the Draco Napalm by a slight margin.

Since I am firmly of the opinion that (in terms of weapons anyway, their immobility and payload problems makes them death-bait) Behemoth-is-Best, I began to wonder if the ranged weapon upgrades would work for them. The Ranged Weapon Upgrades on 107 are not listed on page 110 under the available Additional Biological Enhancements categories only Offensive Bio-Weapons is (melee-only). So I guess the only way to get range or damage upgrades for these things is via Geneticists and their tinier upgrades.

Which kinda sucks because it sure would be nice to upgrade the range of the missiles at least... longer-range Organo-missiles could even be worn on the armor of an Outrider piloting the Behemoth, so it seems odd that the almost-identical missiles of the Behemoth must stagnate.

Even if normal War Mounts with very basic upgrades could not select RWUs as their ABEs, I wonder if perhaps the Personal War Mounts (page 152) might be able to, because it says they can be -enhanced even further-. That might just refer to having more bio-E than normal, but who knows, it might apply to opening up new categories too, such as RWUing the built-in weapon systems or adding additional Ranged Bio-Weapons to the War Mount (a Behemoth would benefit from some built-in short-range weapons, a simple Vent would go along way in dealing with enemies 50-1000 feet away without using up a limited missile supply.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Shark_Force
Palladin

Re: Behemoth Bio-Weapon Systems details and modifications

Unread post by Shark_Force »

you can upgrade the weapon systems on a behemoth. you probably just haven't gotten to the outrider OCC yet - the casting guns aren't regular casting guns, but the generic ranged weapon upgrades are available (but only for an outrider's personal mount).

basically, a behemoth that isn't assigned to an outrider will just have the basic stuff. if it's assigned to an outrider, however, the outrider has bio-e available to spend, with no restrictions on category.

as to your claim that behemoths have the best weapons of all the ( warmounts, there i have to disagree. the zephyr is ridiculous; twin-linked fully upgraded (except for mega and ultra) spore dischargers basically wreck machine patrols in record time, the heat projector has incredible power and range, and both of those systems have unlimited ammo. the bore cannons cover your only possible weakness by allowing you to fire in any direction you feel like.

it may not have the maximum range of the behemoth, but it definitely has the best weapons package overall (paired with excellent mobility, too).
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Re: Behemoth Bio-Weapon Systems details and modifications

Unread post by Tor »

I did read the Outrider OCC (that's why I mentioned page 152). I'm just not sure if the OCC means 'from any category' or if it still requires you to select additions only from the previously mentioned categories that War Mounts can select from...

An idea did just occur to me, I figured I'd check the NPC for guidelines, page 70 mentions Verrkalish having large horns, extra MDC, horn defense and chameleon skin. The first is in the continuation of "Offensive Bio-Weapons" on page 96. The latter three are in the "Biological Defenses" category on page 83. We are told War Mounts can normally only get upgrades from:

Eyes & Vision
Other Sensory Features
Anatomical & Physiological Features
Additional Limbs & Enhanced Arms & Hands (Legs & Feet)
Tail Appendages
Offensive Bio-Weapons

So while any Draco could get large horns... Dracos cannot normally get an MDC boost, a horn defense, or a chameleon skin... so since Verrkalish has it this is evidence that the normal category restrictions do not apply.

Lacking no other guidelines, I'm led to assume you can pretty much buy whatever you like.

The only exception being metabolism-restricted powers in which case I think you should go based on the animal's metabolism (usually omnivore) to figure it out.

*wants to give a Warmount a Lazarus organ*
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Splicers®”