Missile (organic and technological) called aiming mechanics

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Missile (organic and technological) called aiming mechanics

Unread post by Tor »

Page 221 says that mini-missiles are not self-guided, so instead of the +3 (or +5 if smart) you instead get +3 with aimed or called, +1 with burst/volley.

I take it this means that volleys with guided missiles are more accurate than volleys which are unguided, but that with single-fired missiles (including called shots) a person aiming an unguided mini-missile will be as accurate as a guided missile, but not as accurate as a smart missile.

Also assuming this means you can only called-shot with single missiles and that you have to do normal main-body direct hits with volleys.

I got wondering if there were ways to boost the 3/5 guided or 3/1 missile bonuses via skills.

Do you think the Sniper espionage skill on page 192 would help for single aimed or called shots? Obv. not for volleys though. I'm not entirely sure how flexible this skill is. It says 'many of the larger Bio-weapons (those with ranges over 400ft)'

I assume page 201's Host Armor Combat bonus to integral weapons would (distinguishes separate strike bonuses for long range and hand to hand).

I'm not sure about the strike bonus from hovering with a Wing Pack though, since it is non-specific (does not say melee or long-range so I figure both?)

I figure you get at least 1 from the War Mount skill on 202 but I'm not sure if you get a 2nd, because 1 is ambiguous (non-specific like Wing-packHover) and 1 is specific (long-range weapons)

Then there's Bio-Weapons: Heavy on page 203. It says 'all the truly large, long-ranged Bio-Weapons' which sounds like it would cover bio-missiles. The Bio-Rocket Slinger on 136 is classified as Heavy so I figure the Organic Rockets on 103 might also.

Organic Rockets sound a lot like smart missiles though... and I'm not sure whether they would be 'mini' or 'short' (the range makes me assume mini but the damage makes me think short). But does being smart/guided mean that you can't tell your organo-rockets to do a called shot?

I think since the Bio-Rockets on the gun are not guided that we could at least do called shots with them. Their lower damage and range makes me more confident about classifying them as 'mini' missiles. While the robots all uses guided missiles, since this is bio I assume it isn't guided like the Organo-Rocket.

If being a guided or smart missile meant that you could not do called shots, does that mean that since the robots all use guided missiles that they can never do called shots?

Also wondering, the 103 Organic Rocket volley maximum... under Rate of Fire it says "up to the number located on that particular host armor"

This made me curious why it starts off saying 2,4,6. If I had 7 missiles, could I fire a volley of 7?

1) Are the first three numbers just a way of saying 'no volleys of 3 or 5' or something like that? Meaning you could fire a 15-missile volley?
OR
2) Or could volleys possible be capped at 6 and the 'up to the number' statement is meant to point out a common-sense "no firing 6 missiles if you only have 2 left" sort of thing?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
NMI
OLD ONE

Re: Missile (organic and technological) called aiming mechan

Unread post by NMI »

Since this specific topic is different [from what I can tell] then other previous locked topics, I will allow it to stay for now.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Re: Missile (organic and technological) called aiming mechan

Unread post by Tor »

Yeah, believe it or not, far as I know Rifts is the only game with that 'always hits the main body' rabble-rouser text. HU and Splicers explicitly allow called shots and allow the text and missiles should not be an off-limits topic just because some people hate discussing missiles.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Splicers®”