Bringing in PCs from other games

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Bringing in PCs from other games

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Don't know if this has been covered somewhere else. Honestly didn't take the time to look.

How would PC's from ATB2/TMNT integrate into Splicers (Specifically by the Human Resistance)?

I already know they're going to suffer from the nano plague that's a given

Would they be considered renegade Biotics from another Great House?
What would you do with a mutant animal char brought into the splicer-verse?
(have it pick an occ? give it X additional BIO-E and say go crazy?)

I'd like to hear your ideas
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
krispy
Hero
Comment: Luck favors the prepared

Re: Bringing in PCs from other games

Unread post by krispy »

How would PC's from ATB2/TMNT integrate into Splicers (Specifically by the Human Resistance)?

when concerned with the introduction of R.C.C.s from other games, my best advice is - it depends who they encounter first. a malevolent faction may kill and ask questions later, or torture, interrogate, examine and dissect them...not necessarily in that order (insert Zoidberg)
a benevolent faction might welcome them into their House

(i dont have either game so if there is magic or psychic abilities, simply follow the guide as described in the MB)

if you wish to have this as part of the story, this is entirely up to you as the GM ... and it is connected to who they encounter as well

i have honestly never incorporated mutant animals into my game (xiticix are the only thing). i never felt the need to, as Splicers has sooo much awesome material, printed and on the forum.

have it pick an occ? give it X additional BIO-E and say go crazy?

the o.c.c depends on the compatibility of the one they already have to the Splicerverse
and also consider balance within the game when it comes to the natural (innate abilities) they may possess and how much Bio-E they are given. you dont want them to have a number of amazing abilities, plus a huge amount of Bio-e to enhance their armour and weapons, or themselves
connecting the dots
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

animal mutants are generally not that ridiculous. i'd feel comfortable giving them a conventional splicers OCC and would consider them to be roughly on par with other splicers NPCs. they'd have to work for it a bit first, though, by roleplaying a bit, and i'd probably use whatever degree of multiclassing rules you have access to (the "official" ones are in the high seas palladium fantasy book, but there are variations kicking around elsewhere... like rules for what happens when you're forced to change to a 'borg OCC or a juicer OCC in rifts, for example, which i suspect are fairly similar but i'm not sure since i don't own the high seas book).
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Guy_LeDouche »

Krispy beat me to it; I'd second his remarks.

The Splicers book is frustratingly vague on specific houses or groups and their respective beliefs, attitudes, etc. Still, with all the splicing and craziness in the world, I would think that all but the most intolerant factions would accept mutant animals. After all, this is a world where three headed dragons can be grown in a matter of months and undesirables are regularly converted to living slave weapons. A humanoid, talking animal probably isn't going to raise too many eyebrows.

Depending on where and the group, that would be pretty logical. Close to a Preserves, for example, they could be considered local fauna no one has encountered yet.

The interesting thing is how would the Machine react to a mutant animal? Technically, its not human, but it can talk, think, looks vaguely human.....

My first thought is how did they get there? Following that, do they want to try and return home? Would the character even want to join the Resistance? An ATB character may have some serious issue working with humans.

have it pick an occ? give it X additional BIO-E and say go crazy?
Depends on the background of the character. If they are native to Splicers, I say go for it, keeping in mind Krispy's advice not to let them get too powerful. If they are a transplant, have them pick an ATB/TMNT class.

I'd like to hear more, as the character pans out. Please share.
Fairy tales begin with "Once upon a time". Southern fairy tales begin with "Y'all ain't gonna believe this s**t!!"

XBL Gamertag: Guy L3D0uch3

If Keanu Reeves had played Thulsa Doom, he would have told Conan to contemplate on the Tree of Whoa..
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Initial thoughts: Thanks for the replies everyone. I have a pet peeve about starting a dead thread.
2nd Thoughts: Holy Smokes a reply and request for more info from Guy LeDouche!! That's just a step down from Carmen himself (at least in my limited understanding of Splicers board hierarchy)

Okay, some background first. Yesterday was the 1st time I'd ever sat down and read the splicers book (after reading the fabulous synopsis on Semi-retired gamers "Sell me on Splicers" thread).

So there I am reading the world setting and back story with my buddy and we're all, "whoa..and Daaang, and Holy S#!+" and we get to laughing and wondering how our existing TMNT/ATB2 chars would fare in the splicerverse. The short answer is that without some sort of bio weapon upgrade or host armor they are all different sorts of furry meat paste. Sure some of them have enhanced senses, or claws, or teeth, or horns which give them an edge in their home universe, but they're SDC critters doing SDC damage. In a world where everyone else is MDC..we're a smudge in the dirt.

Our pc's would be unfortunate transplants. Most likely caught in a random rift or spell/magic artifact effect gone awry. As far as picking a tmnt/atb occ, they don't "have" them per se. The pc's get to roll on an education table to determine how much they've learned. You then have free reign to choose what skills you desire (that fit within your personal char concept). They're basically humans in an animal suit. So I think having them pick an splicers OCC (if not considering them an unfinished biotic) is the way to go. Otherwise if they do decide to fight the machine (and won't they have to to? I mean that's the point of the game) they're kind of screwed.

As far as working with humans go all of our pc's have lucked out in their background rolls as to NOT be completely xenophobic. Everyone is treated well but cautiously until they give us a reason to distrust them.

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

I found this Animal Biotics. It is kind of close to what I was thinking

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Guy_LeDouche »

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Initial thoughts: Thanks for the replies everyone. I have a pet peeve about starting a dead thread.
2nd Thoughts: Holy Smokes a reply and request for more info from Guy LeDouche!! That's just a step down from Carmen himself (at least in my limited understanding of Splicers board hierarchy)

:lol: Thank you for the compliment. Someone must have told you that flattery will get you everywhere. :D I haven't been on the boards as much as I would like through 2013 for a number of reasons, but hope to change that in 2014.

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Sure some of them have enhanced senses, or claws, or teeth, or horns which give them an edge in their home universe, but they're SDC critters doing SDC damage. In a world where everyone else is MDC..we're a smudge in the dirt.

Personal gripe here, I'll apologize for the tangent. I've always thought Splicers would have been better as a straight SDC game instead. For the sake of ease and gameplay, you could always make the characters naturally MDC. Pick a reason: lingering effects from how however arrived, their mutant genes are naturally enhanced in a bio tech world, or simply because. Never let the rules stand in the way of a good game.

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:As far as picking a tmnt/atb occ, they don't "have" them per se. The pc's get to roll on an education table to determine how much they've learned. You then have free reign to choose what skills you desire (that fit within your personal char concept). They're basically humans in an animal suit. So I think having them pick an splicers OCC (if not considering them an unfinished biotic) is the way to go.

Now I got you. I'm only vaguely familiar with the TMNT line; didn't know about the lack of traditional OCC/RCC. In that case, I think the Biotic would be a good starting point or template to use. A few more skills here and there since the PCs would be a bit smarter and hopefully less mental issues. Or, if you have the Rifts book, use something along the lines of the Vagabond or similar.

Otherwise if they do decide to fight the machine (and won't they have to to? I mean that's the point of the game) they're kind of screwed.
Some sort of MDC protection and weaponry is definitely in order. But, they won't necessarily have to fight the Machine. It takes a little more work as a GM, but House Vs. House games are another way to go. Heck, as strangers in a strange land, simple exploration could become an adventure in and of itself. A walk to a nearby pond and the PCs could encounter any number of creatures, factions, or hazards.

If you haven't already, take a peek at the "101 Splicer Adventure Ideas" http://palladium-megaverse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=117887. While it never quite reached 100 (last I looked, it topped out at about 75 or so), there are tons brilliant and suggestions for adventures.
Fairy tales begin with "Once upon a time". Southern fairy tales begin with "Y'all ain't gonna believe this s**t!!"

XBL Gamertag: Guy L3D0uch3

If Keanu Reeves had played Thulsa Doom, he would have told Conan to contemplate on the Tree of Whoa..
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Initial thoughts: Thanks for the replies everyone. I have a pet peeve about starting a dead thread.

Guy_LeDouche wrote: :lol: Thank you for the compliment. Someone must have told you that flattery will get you everywhere. :D I haven't been on the boards as much as I would like through 2013 for a number of reasons, but hope to change that in 2014.

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Sure some of them have enhanced senses, or claws, or teeth, or horns which give them an edge in their home universe, but they're SDC critters doing SDC damage. In a world where everyone else is MDC..we're a smudge in the dirt.

Guy_LeDouche wrote:Personal gripe here, I'll apologize for the tangent. I've always thought Splicers would have been better as a straight SDC game instead. For the sake of ease and gameplay, you could always make the characters naturally MDC. Pick a reason: lingering effects from how however arrived, their mutant genes are naturally enhanced in a bio tech world, or simply because. Never let the rules stand in the way of a good game.

All of those are good and interesting reasons for why Joe the Mutant Tiger Hobo can suddenly punch through concrete. It won't help that he can barely read, but punching a guy unconscious is more fun than lulling him to sleep with a bedtime story.

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:As far as picking a tmnt/atb occ, they don't "have" them per se. The pc's get to roll on an education table to determine how much they've learned. You then have free reign to choose what skills you desire (that fit within your personal char concept). They're basically humans in an animal suit. So I think having them pick an splicers OCC (if not considering them an unfinished biotic) is the way to go.

Guy_LeDouche wrote:Now I got you. I'm only vaguely familiar with the TMNT line; didn't know about the lack of traditional OCC/RCC. In that case, I think the Biotic would be a good starting point or template to use. A few more skills here and there since the PCs would be a bit smarter and hopefully less mental issues. Or, if you have the Rifts book, use something along the lines of the Vagabond or similar.

I wasn't saying they HAVE to be biotics, but because of their animal appearance my 1st thought is that the humans would assume that is what they are. Unless it was some sort of flyer. Then obviously some weird new Archangel is what they'd assume. I think if I were to transplant chars over (Temporarily mind you. They're visiting, not there to stay) I'd... hrmmm I'd exclude Saints, Scarecrows, Skinjobs and I'd make the possibility of being a Technojacker EXTREMELY RARE. I'd limit the Biotics to only being able to either A. Beef up their natural abilities (Joe the tiger now has Saber Teeth, and his stripes act as a cloaking field etc) or B using the extra bio-e to build a BEAST of a host armor. Same idea with flying mutants who are considered arch-angels

The_Oh_So_Amazing_Nate wrote:Otherwise if they do decide to fight the machine (and won't they have to to? I mean that's the point of the game) they're kind of screwed.

Guy_LeDouche wrote:Some sort of MDC protection and weaponry is definitely in order. But, they won't necessarily have to fight the Machine. It takes a little more work as a GM, but House Vs. House games are another way to go. Heck, as strangers in a strange land, simple exploration could become an adventure in and of itself. A walk to a nearby pond and the PCs could encounter any number of creatures, factions, or hazards.

If you haven't already, take a peek at the "101 Splicer Adventure Ideas" http://palladium-megaverse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=117887. While it never quite reached 100 (last I looked, it topped out at about 75 or so), there are tons brilliant and suggestions for adventures.

Crack the whip! get those extra posts in till you get your 100 count.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

what about adding to their abilities via bio-e thru level additions?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Rappanui wrote:i would allow them to become biotics, but .. other then that, use them as target practice for the machine.. most would not be MDC except those with size 12+ and or heavy armor.

make sense to me.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Now wondering how the Bio-E manipulation machines (TMNT Adventures) or magic (Transdimensional TMNT's Time Lords) would work with Splicers stuff.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

My question.
A powers unlimited 2.
Immortal Godling. From what I've seen of Dreadguards and others they might be under powered (bonus speaking) but could fit in perhaps.
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Unread post by Chronicle »

How would aps metal be treated by the nanoplague. Would the players will override the nano plague?

In the event these mutants had super powers.
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I'm sure in combat the home team has far better bonuses but as above certain Super Abilities could be very helpful in this genre.
After careful thought though I imagine supers would be dissected to figure out how they work.

Return to “Splicers®”