Splicers & HU2

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Splicers & HU2

Unread post by 13eowulf »

So one of my player groups may wind up on Splicers Earth in a game I am starting after new years. They will be a mixed bunch, dimensional travellers, with characters allowed from any setting. To that end a few questions have arisen.

The Splicers main book has some very specific things to say on Magic and Psionics. That is good, I like that. However they are not so clear (or say anything at all) about Superpowers.

So, my question is do super powers become MD/MDC on Splicers Earth, as if it was other Mega-Damage Realms? Or does it depend on Power Source? Like would a Eugenics hero have Mega-Damage powers, but the wielder of an Enchanted Weapon (that bestows super powers) have powers that are only SDC?

Should I also post this over in the HU2 forum?
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Re: Splicers & HU2

Unread post by Shark_Force »

honestly, if your goal is to combine the settings, i would recommend heavily that you combine them in a way that will make your game work. which generally means that you're probably going to need super powers to continue to be super powerful. if it isn't explicitly magic or psionics, just run it like you would if you were running a rifts game.

or at least, that's my personal opinion. really, you should do what you think will be best for your game, though.
MethosDarkblade
Wanderer
Comment: The Dark General of the Apocalypse and the right hand man to the Horseman of Death

Unread post by MethosDarkblade »

I would allow them to be M.D.C. but allow for certain characters to be immune to the plague or even resistant. Some, like healing factors should be resistant while those who can already control or use metal and machines (APS inorganics, Machine Merge, Mechano-link) can be immune. Allowing for these characters to be resistant or immune, you can balance it out by not allowing them to use Bio-tech items.

Maybe Gorehounds dislike the character because of the unnatural DNA, much more different than the usual method that even the Biotics use. Same could be the same for Warmounts. The idea I usually try to use is to make them outcasts, just like the Techno-Jackers. As for the allowing of altered DNA for Warmounts and Biotics, I tend to use the X-Facotr break down. Once the DNA is seperated, the X-Factor in the DNA breaks down and becomes meaningless as it disolves into nothingness.

At least, these are just my ideas. Take them, leave them, just enjoy your game :D
Methos Darkblade

If you smell who the rat is cooking.

Super or otherwise, you are just a man, while I am a God!
-Darkseid

That was fairly ruthless father. I hope I made you proud.
-Aqualad

Always better to crash the mode
-Impulse
Kirby77
D-Bee

Unread post by Kirby77 »

In a related question: how would a character with a healing factor (or other form of acceperated healing) handle being bonded to parasidic hoast armor?
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

Considering that the penalties of the parasitic armor are due to the excessive healing the body needs to undergo and eventually the body begins to fall behind as it is overtaxed. A mutant with a healing factor should be able to at the least last longer before they suffer the listed penalties. Of course, any individual with this ability will likely be subjected to research into the origin of their powers and how to duplicate them within the rest of their soldiers.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

Slight001 wrote:Considering that the penalties of the parasitic armor are due to the excessive healing the body needs to undergo and eventually the body begins to fall behind as it is overtaxed. A mutant with a healing factor should be able to at the least last longer before they suffer the listed penalties. Of course, any individual with this ability will likely be subjected to research into the origin of their powers and how to duplicate them within the rest of their soldiers.

I am easily akin to this line of thinking as well. Great point. I would see them as outcast, that the Librarians once they hear of these "superion" beings would be sending all sorts of special forces to try and seize them. Even just one test subject could provide endless testing and experiments.

Healing factor versus Parasitic metabolism. Well, this is going to come down to some serious checks and balances that you will have to determine as a GM for short term & long term campaigning. Depending on how the superion characters are introduced other setting, and how Biotechnology woks with their bio composition. Similar to the TJs who can' operate biotechnology, I would thin such similarities might exist with some superion beings. If it is decided that the character(s) with healing factor can efficiently operate Biotech then are their any penalities or required customizations?

Suggestion:
A. Perhaps a slower healing factor allows the Parasite or Vampiric HA to properly feed and satisfy its feeding nutritional requirements. However, a superion with a fast healing factor, forces the Parasite to take twice as s long to get is required nutrition as the character keeps healing too fast for the parasite to fully feed. Example: Almost like a tick, or bat that uses anti-coagulants to help it keep a host's wound open and fresh so it can properly feed. But if a wound keeps sealing up fast from expedited healing, than the bat/leech/tick has to work twice as hard to get the same amount it would normally get if the wound was normal. So mayeb the Parite has to take longer to feed.

B. Perhaps the Parasite HA goes into overdrive since it has a host that can actually take the devouring process. So maybe the process is a little bit more unnerving and it takes some time for the HA and superion to stabilize and balance out. So when the character gets out of he HA they are far more scared up and look as if they are recovering from serious medical treatments. Maybe their bodies are slightly more fatigued because it has been constantly burning more energy consistently healing. So yes, while the host armor is doing well, the actual pilot is more fatigued than normal, maybe doubling the required rest for the pilot since they are not suffering any of the other true parasite penalties.

Now moving forward. Maybe other issues can arise good and bad.

On another note, characters at have super strength or speed, might by be more detrimental inside a host armor and might exceed the physical limitations of a HA in movement or stress. so I would factor these into the equation if they seek to try and wear a HA. Some one who can run say 500+ mph might rip & destroy the muscular structures and tissues inside the HA. Maybe a Superion HA has to be designed & made by the Librarian(s) who anxiously wants to stab the Superion first and then needs to provide the DNA/RNA codes for the Engineer to make a proper Superion HA. If the Librarian can do its however, surely this will affect the game setting in some capacity as such knowledge will be experimented with. Biotics and other Biotech areas will surely see such concepts. This may help balance the game in some cases as now there might be oppositions and balances that have some of the same powers, but it is something to consider as an invasive species approach. Once these beings enter the Splicers realm and are captured, unless the X-Factor gene approach is implemented, Librarians are going to make some Superion concoctions. It's just there nature.

Also I would not exempt anyone from triggering the nanobot plague unless they are arrived and stayed completely sealed within a sealed environment armor. vehicle, capsule, etc. Even characters with healing factors aren't immune to nanobots. The stuff is everywhere and it is flowing through anyone who is exposed them. Sure they can heal and reject them after they have been initially infiltrated, but once they do, it just repeats. There is always nanobots within them. They just keep getting repelled, while others replace them. If this weren't the case,then HAs with super regeneration enhancements could eventually be utilized as processors to simulate sealed atmospheric conditions and heal the pilots inside and release them in sealed conditions freeing the human from the nanobots. This is a major part of the Splicers setting and experience and I would not exempt it from the Superions. Only those with meal melding and controlling powers as mentioned above would be exempt,but they also would be unable to utilize Biotech as the counter balance and would be treated like monster versions of TJ.

Return to “Splicers®”