Splicers Robots

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Swift-13
Dungeon Crawler

Splicers Robots

Unread post by Swift-13 »

If there's one thing Palladium Books loves doing, it's bringing down the apocalypse and nearly wiping out humanity. Dimensional rifts, techno-bugs, zombies, the Nightlands (at least, it's the verge of an apocalypse), and robots. In this case, I like Splicers. Humanity has to go granola since they can't touch metal anymore, versus an endless legion of robots led by an insane A.I. (as if there was any other kind of A.I.).

But some of those robots look a little goofy. A flying skull with guns coming out of its nose and a caterpillar with plasma ejectors on every leg are the ones that come to the fore in my mind. Well, that and a fighter jet with fists. That's a weird one, too. It's not just aesthetic in my tastes; it's more of, well, to put it bluntly, "huh????" amongst some way better ideas.

How does anyone else feel about this?
Remember who you wanted to be.
flatline
Knight

Re: Splicers Robots

Unread post by flatline »

Swift-13 wrote:If there's one thing Palladium Books loves doing, it's bringing down the apocalypse and nearly wiping out humanity. Dimensional rifts, techno-bugs, zombies, the Nightlands (at least, it's the verge of an apocalypse), and robots. In this case, I like Splicers. Humanity has to go granola since they can't touch metal anymore, versus an endless legion of robots led by an insane A.I. (as if there was any other kind of A.I.).

But some of those robots look a little goofy. A flying skull with guns coming out of its nose and a caterpillar with plasma ejectors on every leg are the ones that come to the fore in my mind. Well, that and a fighter jet with fists. That's a weird one, too. It's not just aesthetic in my tastes; it's more of, well, to put it bluntly, "huh????" amongst some way better ideas.

It doesn't really bother me. The way the robots look is entirely determined by the whim of an insane AI and one of the (conflicting) goals of the AI is to create robots that are disturbing in order to undermine the morale of the humans.

At least they look better than the Mechanoids.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Swift-13
Dungeon Crawler

I like the new Mechanoids compared to the ones in Mechanoid Space, but that's more of an evolution of art over time. At least neither of them ripped off other 'bot designs like certain other giant robot games... (no, not Macross)
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

Swift-13 wrote:If there's one thing Palladium Books loves doing, it's bringing down the apocalypse and nearly wiping out humanity. Dimensional rifts, techno-bugs, zombies, the Nightlands (at least, it's the verge of an apocalypse), and robots. In this case, I like Splicers. Humanity has to go granola since they can't touch metal anymore, versus an endless legion of robots led by an insane A.I. (as if there was any other kind of A.I.).

Swift-13, I can assure you that the new robots that are waiting to be released will be more pleasing to your eye via aesthetic and design functionality,maybe a little too pleasing and concerning (especially for the players) after you see what's been cooking for Splicers. Not to mention I have also revised some of the older units for a more modern update.
Swift-13
Dungeon Crawler

Premier wrote:Swift-13, I can assure you that the new robots that are waiting to be released will be more pleasing to your eye via aesthetic and design functionality,maybe a little too pleasing and concerning (especially for the players) after you see what's been cooking for Splicers. Not to mention I have also revised some of the older units for a more modern update.

Sweet. I'm not putting down the art itself, mind you; it's all good stuff! I couldn't do a technical drawing for the life of me. I was just looking at the current designs and some of them just seemed a little goofy to me. But, at the same time, it doesn't have to be all "Blood and Skulls for Khorne!" either. Like that chainsaw-wielding bot: that's a nice one since it's a good combatant (especially since most Splicers have short-range weapons) and psychologically affecting.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

nexus might also try accasionally robots based upon other animals (i.e birds,reptiles and such)
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Swift-13
Dungeon Crawler

abe wrote:nexus might also try accasionally robots based upon other animals (i.e birds,reptiles and such)

The game already has exploding rats, bots that resemble rats, and Cable Snakes, for a start. One idea could be bots that look like dogs/hounds as a parody of "man's best friend." Spiders are always a winner (particularly as a replacement for plasma gun-legged caterpillars). Over all, though, I would certainly avoid robots disguised as humans...that's been done before. Though I dig the two varieties of robo-zombie. That's a nice one!
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Guy_LeDouche »

Swift-13 wrote:But some of those robots look a little goofy. A flying skull with guns coming out of its nose and a caterpillar with plasma ejectors on every leg are the ones that come to the fore in my mind. Well, that and a fighter jet with fists. That's a weird one, too. It's not just aesthetic in my tastes; it's more of, well, to put it bluntly, "huh????" amongst some way better ideas.

Hey Swift-13, I'm with you, not a huge fan of some of the robot aesthetics (though I do like the many of the designs). I will give them full points for originality, just not my personal style.

Gamewise, I chalk it up to a robots designed by a machine. With an insane one, aesthetics go right out the window. Or the bots are designed to resemble what the Machine thinks humans would be afraid of.
Fairy tales begin with "Once upon a time". Southern fairy tales begin with "Y'all ain't gonna believe this s**t!!"

XBL Gamertag: Guy L3D0uch3

If Keanu Reeves had played Thulsa Doom, he would have told Conan to contemplate on the Tree of Whoa..
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

As soon as PB releases the pipeline of what we have already cooked up for this setting. Some of these were reviewed at the past POHs and they got the results I was looking for. You'll be scared I promise you. You will be ... you will be...
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Guy_LeDouche »

As soon as PB releases anything Splicer related...... :x ***mumble, grumble, various random disgruntled gamer noises***
Fairy tales begin with "Once upon a time". Southern fairy tales begin with "Y'all ain't gonna believe this s**t!!"

XBL Gamertag: Guy L3D0uch3

If Keanu Reeves had played Thulsa Doom, he would have told Conan to contemplate on the Tree of Whoa..

Return to “Splicers®”