Sell me on Splicers - Why do you love Splicers?

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Sell me on Splicers - Why do you love Splicers?

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

Hey Guys,
One of the very first books I got from Palladium was Splicers and it has been instrumental in helping me learn the system. However, when reading it I didn't know what to do with it. Its the only Palladium Book I own that didn't make me want to jump right in or make a character. I was left unsure about certain parts of the setting and the people that lived there (maybe I missed something?). Anyway, I thought I'd love it because I am a huge from of Monsters, Giant Robots, and the anime and manga franchise Guyver.
I guess I feel like in a lot of ways it read like a Terminator Film (which would normally be GREAT!) except I tend to run episodic games and I was left sitting there, twiddling my thumbs and thinking... What now?
So, after flipping through the book again I have decided that I'd try making a post asking WHY DO YOU LOVE SPLICERS?

I sincerely believe that it is a good book, but I just can't see what exactly to do with it or how to use it in a way that will interest my players. This isn't trolling, this is a genuine request. I sincerely want to understand and be told "cool things" about the game so I can use the book. To date it is the only Palladium Book that I have not done something with.

Unless maybe you could using W.P. Reverse Stroke, but I don't think that counts.

I look forward to hearing back. Personal experiences are fine too, maybe some examples or stories about your game will help spark the ole imagination! :D
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Re: Sell me on Splicers - Why do you love Splicers?

Unread post by Shark_Force »

huh. go figure, i'd have thought vital strike for snipers would get used more often than reverse stroke :P

anyways, there's a few things that i like about the setting.

first off, it's a setting where the PCs can feel awesome, but still feel like they are tiny little fish in a really big pond. yeah, you've got this awesome character, and 1v1 you will crush any robot you fight just about (unless it's one of the machines that is basically a fortress).

but then you realize that for every one of you, there's thousands of robots. the machine literally has so many robots, it doesn't know what to do with them all, so it just stockpiles robots for lack of a better thing to do. and while you're awesome at one or two things, the machine has the robots to exploit any weakness you might have. and that not only are you fighting the machine, but you may also be fighting with other houses that have different opinions than yours (perhaps yours uses advanced biotics and the other house believes that you're perverting your humanity and are just as bad as the machine. perhaps they have autonomous warmounts or biotics made from animals which you consider an abomination. and maybe you both just want to control the same nature preserve or something).

you could be fighting anyone or anything, and you don't know. what's more, if you want to survive, you can't just fight everything... you have to choose your battles. if you see a column of 500 robots marching along, and it doesn't advance your goals to fight them (and they aren't heading for any critical house resources), you don't just go picking a fight, even if you can beat them, because it won't accomplish anything in the long run anyways and the machine could have another thousand in place if you make the mistake of letting them know where you are.

add on top of that the squabbling between the various factions of the machine. Eve is busy trying to keep humanity alive while Kali just wants to make them all suffer. Ishtar is mad at everyone else for not telling her how awesome her plans are but will eagerly show up any time she senses a challenge that might be fun, while Gaia just wants to keep everything away from her gardens and Freya gets angry every time someone moves things from where she wants them to be. Hecate doesn't even care about anything other than coming up with new toys, and as far as Lillith is concerned all of humanity (as well as her sisters) *are* her toys. you never know what you're going to be up against, or who's behind anything. you don't know if those robots are only chasing you because you stepped into an area hecate wants to build a factory in, or because lillith just wants to mess with you, or because ishtar decided your recent activities make you an intriguing opponent, and so you never know for sure how they're going to act. maybe they're happy if you just leave, maybe they want to hunt you down until either you or they are destroyed as part of a 'game', and maybe they're just trying to find you so that kali can airdrop in something with flamethrowers and they don't even want to fight you at all.

so yeah, you've got lots and lots of different sources of conflict, huge odds against you, a feeling of great personal power and the ability to do amazing things, but the opposition is so great that even so you have to do something truly heroic to make any meaningful change (or sometimes just to keep things from getting worse).

another thing i like about the setting is that if you and i are playing in the same group, and we both decide to make the same OCC of character, we can both end up with extremely different characters. there is so much customization available that even if we make some decisions the same, there can still be a lot of variation, and the differences will be much greater than just what model of 1d6x10 laser rifle we're using.
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

Hey Akashic Soldier,

Have you checked this SPLICERS Thread out?
The replies there may cover your inquiry why WE SPLICEHEADS love this setting!

To add to what Guy Ledouche and Shark Force have eloquently written; I relish this setting for numerous reasons, but here is my attempt at a personal summation of some them:

1: Endless Customizing & Innovations: I love the endless opportunities for customizing competitive Biotechnology for such a harsh setting. As a huge fan of Guyver, Alien/Aliens, Zeiram, Baoh, Armor, Starcraft and other biotechnology IP influences in my youth, Splicers is a true outlet for me to cut loose with my pent up innovations and inspirations. There are two things that I find motivate advancement in technology (entertainment & warfare). Splicers is filled with competitive, intense global warfare and some intriguing entertainment options as well. The template is there but when you truly exercise the factor of alien DNA and various concepts derived from territorial conflict over resources and survival. There is some major fun for me in seeing and using what everyone who plays this game contributes and interprets with the biotechnology makes it very intriguing and entertaining. I mean what’s not to enjoy or entertaining when seeing an array of unique Monster styled power armors and living body armors locked into guerrilla warfare with each other or against a deadly array of machines or the likes of some alien predators? Add to that the element of having to hunt for your fuel in some cases or to allow for ammo to regrow or the wide array of customization in opposition units and companions gives the game extraordinary dynamics and entertainment.

2. Love the Biological & Wildlife Implementations: As a long-term animal enthusiast who enjoyed watching wildlife films and in person, especially formidable species, Splicers is a true outlet for me to not only share or educate others on various species that I am fond of, but it also makes available for me to learn and enjoy those views and creatures that others share with me as well. Splicers also allots for me to utilize them or fuse them in chimeric fashion for militia field use that is unlike any other game setting I have ever read or experienced. I can't tell you enough how enthusiastic I am over the very idea of Gorehounds, since I am a MAJOR fan of formidable canines (Wolves, Dholes, molossors, LGDs, terriers, etc.). I have a wealth of knowledge on various dog breeds (pheno types) and their performances that I am so eager to see utilized in this game. It doesn’t just stop with Gorehounds, I mean we are talking Warmounts for goodness sakes. Monsters that are bio armored tanks and fighter jets fighting for a Great House’s army. We have a ton of Warmounts to release and many more in the 'Think-tank." Let alone the endless ideas of alien predators that can be concocted for players, Great Houses and NEXUS to contend with or to learn from.

3. The Machine's (NEXUS) global & campaign influences and potential. As I (and others) now see it is so... much more influential and innovative than a mere comparison to anything that Skynet could conjure. With the different NEXUS personalities and their specialties within the Machine, individual strategies, having their internal strife, bodes for a very rich entertaining setting with possibilities for their influences on the setting and campaigns. This was one the primary reasons Slappy & I devised the Legion contribution source material (already submitted to PB). Not only does each Personality bring a unique aspect of the machine to the forefront, but also the wide variety of robots, drones, mech and vehicle designs that can be devised which opens the door wide open for machina and Technojackers. Literally just as fun and innovative to create new machines as it is the biotechnology for this setting.

4. Blood feuding. This also helped seal the deal for my fascination with Splicers. The idea of having Powered Armored biotech concoctions locked in clan like warring reminds me of some futuristic samurai and bio-armored ninja battles with monsters as jets & tanks, made me truly fall in love with this setting's atmosphere. This makes things fun for customizing and thinking not only for players but for the gm as well. Slappy & I have already submitted a great amount of source material for “How to Build A Great House” which will make this experience of developing and customizing a Great House more systemic but yet still preserves the open customizations, but the personal touches and experiences really make the Great House aspect very entertaining and personalized. Originally it is easy to assume that every one would want the strongest Great House in their territory, but upon further analysis, having such a powerhouse also means having and constantly securing the necessary resources and defenses to preserve such a great house. This also means such a great house will have to be able to withstand NEXUS and be kept well hidden and protected all the while stabilizing the large community and militia that it requires to sustain itself, let alone the governmental structure and intra-guild issues that may transpire. A whole lot goes into being a super power in your territory (among other Great Houses and NEXUS forces). Maybe starting off as an upstart Great House may be far easier and also may be more enjoyable being a part of the house developments and creating a stronger commitment and bond for players. This sense of belonging & personal contributions makes fighting rival great houses, intruders or traitors even far more entertaining and critical in campaign games. A Great House that is displaced or usurped by another house is really up a creek without a paddle with several holes in an overloaded boat if it can’t secure the resources & or alliances to sustain itself.

5. Love the idea of Wit, Tech and Guts. Unlike other settings I really appreciate how Splicers preserves the playability & feasible mortality of intelligently utilizing your wit, gear and choices to survive versus using magic and "powers" to compensate for the challenges that this game can throw at you. I think its harsh setting that offers plenty of challenge and greater sense of mortality, forces players to really think more as players with what they have and to really appreciate what they select as an O.C.C. and gear for the field. This creates stronger attachments to their choices, customization and character(s) IMHO.

6. The Spliceheads. With out a doubt in my mind the creative force and fan base that contributes and or supports the Splicers setting is IMHO, the best group of fans and gamers that I have experienced and have had the pleasurable honor of being among. I mean if you have questions or inquiries there is always a splice head seeking to help and or give constructive feedback, when they can. And they have all been very mature and civil in their post no matter the difference in views. Sadly that is possibly my biggest concern once the setting gets more publicity, is that the Splicehead integrity may be invaded but I have high hopes.

7. Uniqueness. As of yet there is nothing out like the Splicers game setting, PERIOD!
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Splicers has several things going for it that makes it one of my favorite Palladium books.

1. the setting is interesting, compelling, and sufficiently defined in just one book to be usable without having obvious gaps that the GM has to fill in.

2. it can be played "shallowly" like a tactical war game where the focus is optimizing designs and tactics or it can be played "deeply" with the focus on house intrigue or sub- and sub-sub-plots of competing fractured AI personalities or anywhere in between. All in the same campaign.

3. it allows for the strange combination of high powered characters in what is essentially a victims game, even more so than the Invid invasion of Earth did in the original Robotech setting (I haven't looked at the recent stuff, so I don't know if it's still that way). I can't explain exactly why that appeals to me, but it does.

4. the material is almost perfect for "rebooting" the Wormwood setting.

These are the main reasons I like the book.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
krispy
Hero
Comment: Luck favors the prepared

Unread post by krispy »

I work in the Health Industry, and i am fascinated in Anatomy, Physiology, Biology, Bio-mechanics, Kinesiology (study of human movement) etc

like many, i started with Rifts, but the moment I read the descriptor for an upcoming game called Splicers; I was hooked and i haven't looked back

this game has taken a hold of my imagination, and i have focused my passion for the sciences into this setting

the setting is just awesome:
* an AI gone insane, hell-bent on eradicating the human race; whilst an internal war wages between the sisters
* monsters and creatures from our past and beyond the stars
* organic technology, allowing the creation of living weapons, and creatures of myth
* the relationship dynamics between the factions - Splicer, Technojacker and Machine
* a setting that allows so much avenue for home brew material
connecting the dots
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

krispy wrote:I work in the Health Industry, and i am fascinated in Anatomy, Physiology, Biology, Bio-mechanics, Kinesiology (study of human movement) etc

like many, i started with Rifts, but the moment I read the descriptor for an upcoming game called Splicers; I was hooked and i haven't looked back

this game has taken a hold of my imagination, and i have focused my passion for the sciences into this setting

the setting is just awesome:
* an AI gone insane, hell-bent on eradicating the human race; whilst an internal war wages between the sisters
* monsters and creatures from our past and beyond the stars
* organic technology, allowing the creation of living weapons, and creatures of myth
* the relationship dynamics between the factions - Splicer, Technojacker and Machine
* a setting that allows so much avenue for home brew material

I agree with all that is said, especially the part about the Spliceheads being the creative force behind the setting. Krispy is just one of these creative juggernauts and people can expect to see more awesome stuff from him in the future.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

As krispy mentioned, the setting for this rpg is absolutely awesome.......i have never seen so much fan made material come from a single rpg like Splicers......

most of us who posted here has material published in the Rifters
The Dragon Has Spoken
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

The Galactus Kid wrote:Krispy is just one of these creative juggernauts and people can expect to see more awesome stuff from him in the future.

Thanks mate :-D you have contributed some awesome material towards the game as well
connecting the dots
Akashic Soldier
Knight

I just want to say that I have been too busy to read the responses yet but I will be VERY soon and I will be replying. I am so appreciative you all took the time and I'm keen to see what you all have to say. I know "too busy to read" sounds silly, but I don't want to just READ it. I want to remember it and really take it in. :ok:

Thank you again, expect a reply early next week at the latest.

P.S. Krispy, your location is "Down Under" are you a fellow Australian? I live in Grafton New South Wales.
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Akashic Soldier wrote:I don't want to just READ it. I want to remember it and really take it in. :ok:

This is what I think a lot of people need to do more of. Not just on internet forums, but with the books and gamesthat we play too.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Akashic Soldier
Knight

Premier wrote:5. Love the idea of Wit, Tech and Guts. Unlike other settings I really appreciate how Splicers preserves the playability & feasible mortality of intelligently utilizing your wit, gear and choices to survive versus using magic and "powers" to compensate for the challenges that this game can throw at you. I think its harsh setting that offers plenty of challenge and greater sense of mortality, forces players to really think more as players with what they have and to really appreciate what they select as an O.C.C. and gear for the field. This creates stronger attachments to their choices, customization and character(s) IMHO.

This does sound appealing.

Premier wrote:6. The Spliceheads. With out a doubt in my mind the creative force and fan base that contributes and or supports the Splicers setting is IMHO, the best group of fans and gamers that I have experienced and have had the pleasurable honor of being among. I mean if you have questions or inquiries there is always a splice head seeking to help and or give constructive feedback, when they can. And they have all been very mature and civil in their post no matter the difference in views. Sadly that is possibly my biggest concern once the setting gets more publicity, is that the Splicehead integrity may be invaded but I have high hopes.

Yeah, I was actually talking to Dark Guyver about that very thing. When he told me how well everyone got on in this part of the forum, I was genuinely concerned if I posted here regularly that it would attract trolls and upset things. It took him about half an hour of convincing before I agreed to come to this neck of the woods and meet you guys. Its nice finding a community of people that do not feel a need to battle one another and can instead have intelligent conversation and be civil to one another. :D

Premier wrote:7. Uniqueness. As of yet there is nothing out like the Splicers game setting, PERIOD!

Speaking of uniqueness and customisation, did you get a chance to check out the draft/framework for my Mogli Tepu Monster Generator while at the last con? Its now finished. :cool:

For obvious reasons I cannot really say much more about it at this time, but I'm pretty much done writing my new Dimension Book and I remembered you expressing an interest in giant monsters to me previously. Trying to write a "unique" setting can be hard, but it is also very fun and rewarding I have found too. :D

[quote=krispy"]This game has taken a hold of my imagination, and i have focused my passion for the sciences into this setting[/quote]

I can see how that would appeal to you. Do you ever find blending your real world knowledge of biology and such at odds with the "setting"?

I remember recently learning there is more bio-energy in your finger than a car battery while reading an article in New Scientist Magazine and I found it unbelievably interesting that in addition to being intelligent, capable of language and using tools, that the mere nature of our existence, our very " life force" for a lack of a better word is more efficient and "powerful" than many technologies that we've spent generations refining.

snake eyes wrote:As krispy mentioned, the setting for this rpg is absolutely awesome.......i have never seen so much fan made material come from a single rpg like Splicers......

most of us who posted here has material published in the Rifters

Very awesome!

The Galactus Kid wrote:This is what I think a lot of people need to do more of. Not just on internet forums, but with the books and games that we play too.

I agree 100%. This is largely the reason I came here and asked, I knew it had a powerful following and it is one of the few books I own that I just didn't know what to do with given my G.M. styling. However, a lot of what people have said has helped me. I do think it would be handy to have more of the setting information about the Houses in the core rule book because I honestly don't know where I'd find them in the Rifters. Its going to take me a little digging and as you've seen from my delayed response I don't have much free time on my hands. Heck, the first "time off" I've had in about two months was last night and I spent that throwing together a video game. :lol:

Anyways, thank you very much for all your responses. I appreciate the time and effort you all took, thank you sincerely. :ok:
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

Akashic Soldier wrote:P.S. Krispy, your location is "Down Under" are you a fellow Australian? I live in Grafton New South Wales.

indeed i am... just north of Melbourne

Akashic Soldier wrote:
krispy wrote:This game has taken a hold of my imagination, and i have focused my passion for the sciences into this setting

I can see how that would appeal to you. Do you ever find blending your real world knowledge of biology and such at odds with the "setting"?

that is a good question, and honestly the answer is no. with what i know; when i apply my knowledge to the game i can look at it from just a slightly different perspective and tweak it to introduce a new system or ability

there have been many a time during long conversations with an online friend, that he or i will think of a new idea, and then my head goes into analytical mode and tries to figure out if and how it can fit into the system

i have two big projects on the go for Splicers at the moment; an expansion for my H. Pandorum is one of them.
Besides the two projects i have tons of ideas and a couple of other projects waiting in the wind that i hope will eventuate over the coming years
connecting the dots
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

Rappanui wrote:i do not love splicers. I do like to use stuff from splicers in other games, notably rifts. what would probably Fix splicers for me, is to include more backstory, Notable Locations, A working example of how things are (or at least a rundown of what lives where and how). More info on the Alien engineers, Why they came, and what exactly is the Extent of infestation vs purity.
otherwise it's a glorified mechazombie survival game except you look like guyver in a mutant hellcow suit.

you have my curiosity as to what you use from Splicers in Rifts ??

when i look at Splicers as a whole, i see it as endless opportunity to take the core concepts of the story and build my game around it.

when concerned with the elements that would probably fix Splicers, some of it may be addressed in future books; and if it isn't, then take the opportunity to add your personal angle to it that enriches the story in your game and makes it unique

Backstory: this can be a great avenue for HL&S for the game characters

Notable Locations: the MB does say that the Machine can and has changed the continents.... so you can choose to have set locations or an ever changing landscape

A working example of how things are (or at least a rundown of what lives where and how): i see this as the opportunity for the GM to set the world and what is in it.....e.g. you may have your game set on a future earth, based in the North American continent. from there you have your map, so you then choose who and where they are placed..................i personally like this flexibility

More info on the Alien engineers, Why they came: there is a big chance some of this will be addressed in future books.....and if not, again, the element of space exploration has been determined due to the existence of extraterrestrials... so go with that as a starting point for HL&S

what exactly is the Extent of infestation vs purity: im not entirely sure what you mean by this, but if you are talking about the nanoplague, then the book states that the entire planet is infected.....now as to how deep into the planet the infection is present... may i suggest that it doesnt go beyond the crust....and even that is excessive IMO
connecting the dots
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Akashic Soldier wrote:I do think it would be handy to have more of the setting information about the Houses in the core rule book because I honestly don't know where I'd find them in the Rifters. Its going to take me a little digging and as you've seen from my delayed response I don't have much free time on my hands.

you may find this to be of some use, then :)

(edit: depending on your skin, the fact that the word "this" in the above sentence is a link may not be visible, but it is indeed a link =S )

Return to “Splicers®”