anything new unleashed

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

boxee
Hero

anything new unleashed

Unread post by boxee »

Has anyone heard anything about unleashed recently?
89er
Adventurer

Re: anything new unleashed

Unread post by 89er »

Last time I checked, Chuck Walton was going to draw up the rest of the winners and work on Metal Storm after the Northern Gun books are released.
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

boxee wrote:Has anyone heard anything about unleashed recently?

Thank You for inquiring!
89er summed it up best!
Last time I checked, Chuck Walton was going to draw up the rest of the winners and work on Metal Storm after the Northern Gun books are released.

As 89er mentioned, I am going to wrap up the finishes to the Splicers: Unleashed Contest as soon as I get the NG artwork complete. The final two winners' pencils are complete, and I am now doing the final colors on them and fine tuning the stories. I really have something "special" lined up with the stories and what is revealed in the end, which I will use to set up for Unleash II & III. This has led me to writing down quite a bit more for the setup of the 2nd Unleashed contest as the ideas have really surged into overdrive.

Did you have any questions that I might be able to answer?
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Premier wrote:

Thank You for inquiring!
89er summed it up best!

As 89er mentioned, I am going to wrap up the finishes to the Splicers: Unleashed Contest as soon as I get the NG artwork complete. The final two winners' pencils are complete, and I am now doing the final colors on them and fine tuning the stories. I really have something "special" lined up with the stories and what is revealed in the end, which I will use to set up for Unleash II & III. This has led me to writing down quite a bit more for the setup of the 2nd Unleashed contest as the ideas have really surged into overdrive.

just depressed it is taking so long for a new splicers book.
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

boxee wrote:
Premier wrote:

Thank You for inquiring!
89er summed it up best!

just depressed it is taking so long for a new splicers book.

I feel your pain, I work on so much material and I can't help but to steal a glance at the pile of Splicers artwork and think how I can't wait to dive back in on it once I get everything else completed. But the huge Legion manuscript material is turned in and we will see what Kevin does after NG, Megaverse in Flames and Robotech as I think we could still see a book or two this year. We just need to emphasize our demand for Splicers material. It is a good idea to do this at Gen Con, during phone calls, emails, PMs, letters, critics and reviews on the game on other boards, etc.

Regardless once I am caught up with work and commissions, Unleashed will be back and surging, so we can at least get our Splice fix (I hope) until a book is released.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

in the meanwhile, just because there isn't a competition running doesn't mean we can't post ideas you have or stuff we have designed :P
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Shark_Force wrote:in the meanwhile, just because there isn't a competition running doesn't mean we can't post ideas you have or stuff we have designed :P

I agree. Makes me feel VERY bad that it has been this long since Unleashed 1 :-(
I will see what I can do to ease this sad moment for Boxee. I do agree with shark Force, We should still promote the posting of ideas and
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

I have idea's I'm working on for my personal house... however they might break some of the concepts established by the Splicers book.

I assumed that all houses would have access to all of the 'tech' found in the main book and the potential that it represents. Then I looked at that tech from the mind of someone used to RTS, RTTS, and RT4X games... I was disappointed. The passive (thermo, photo, para) metabolisms were an insult to a tactical planer and essentially were forcing you to either specialize a portion of your forces (and there by have them not active/available) or damn a number of your soldiers to early graves.

Then after being agitated by the metabolisms for a while and basically ignoring the military aspects I found myself pondering why it was that the resistance even needed to recruit or fight for that matter. They have at their disposal cornucopia level technology with near limited capacity for scaling and even the capacity for cloning and the development of humans in artificial wombs combined with the possibility for flash programing could allow for a nearly limitless army.

I could rant about this for hours... oh well back the darkness of my mind... House Hel'Brek is calling the demons are hungry.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Hey Slight001,

Welcome to the world of Splicers! Glad to have you aboard! You really have brought up some great & interesting view points.

First, please let me say, by all means enjoy the development and construction of a Great House. I don’t think any one specific Great House will or should disrupt the continuity or direction of the Splicers setting, unless a GM intentionally designs it that way. :D

I assumed that all houses would have access to all of the 'tech' found in the main book and the potential that it represents.

That all depends on your GM and the setting being conducted. Some Great Houses might have full access to Biotechnology, others may have limited access or refuse to entertain using it, possibly even fearing it. Others may be horrifically restricted from getting to it. Other Great Houses may be exploring biotechnology without humane limitations, though it would be highly frowned upon by the general Resistance census (IMHO), and could define boundaries of possible alliances and blood feuds with other Great Houses. It’s up to you and how you devise the setting. This is also not to mention that each Great House within the territory(s) that your conducting may have their own views on how they utilize the availed biotechnology.

For example: A Great House may have access to the DNA/RNA codes to produce a large battalion of Grendel War Mounts to patrol & protect the houses’ borders, but if the territory doesn't provide enough wildlife for the Grendels to sufficiently hunt in order to sustain the brutes, then the burden of producing and toting the necessary meat is placed upon that brigade of Grendels. This can affect field performance in many ways. Maybe the Grendels have to go back to a bunker in more frequently intervals to feed or go off further and longer to find and hunt prey. Maybe the Grendels or other units will carry meat (added weight) that is grown in the haven. If this is the case, then there is the issue of keeping the meat fresh and avoiding undesirable scent trails where NEXUS necroborgs & necrobots can detect your team or possible rival Splicers or the occasional Alien predator. Sure there are solutions to this issue, but it’s an example of how one decision warrants careful planning and an affect other factors, even though one might have access to things.

Then I looked at that tech from the mind of someone used to RTS, RTTS, and RT4X games... I was disappointed. The passive (thermo, photo, para) metabolisms were an insult to a tactical planer and essentially were forcing you to either specialize a portion of your forces (and there by have them not active/available) or damn a number of your soldiers to early graves.

Sorry you were disappointed, but there are some major differences between gameplay of RTS, RTS and RT4X games and table top RPGs, especially for game preservation. The distinction between the time of growing a single Xerg in Starcaft vs the time required to grow a single mature Gore hound in a Gene pool of Splicers being a good example of this. There is a lot more in-depth in table tops to consider.

As to the “passive” metabs (Thermo, Photo, Parasitic), I think it all depends on the scenario, or could be a case by case, or opinionated view or even just a personal preference. I see each having its own advantages and disadvantages that can make these “passives” still a good and valid option. If your Great House resides in a harsh environment or where you will be conducting field ops in and where food resources may be scarce, then having these passive metabolisms may be invaluable units to have. “An army marches on its stomach”, and if there is little food in the area that the army or platoon must survive and perform in, then what happens to that army? Not every Great House is going to be blessed with a lush and rich environment. For those Great Houses that do have such a bounty of resources, I would suspect that they would likely be fighting tooth and nail to keep it, “if” not they better watch their backs.

Then after being agitated by the metabolisms for a while and basically ignoring the military aspects I found myself pondering why it was that the resistance even needed to recruit or fight for that matter. They have at their disposal cornucopia level technology with near limited capacity for scaling and even the capacity for cloning and the development of humans in artificial wombs combined with the possibility for flash programing could allow for a nearly limitless army.

Yeah, I suppose “some” Great Houses could indeed do this cloning tactic to avoid exhausting their own human reserves. I have “entertained” this line of thinking several times” and can’t reveal much as it could be a possible spoiler. However, thinking in the shoes of the Resistance, they just got back to a position where they feel they have a smudge of hope against an enemy that they created, trusted and empowered. I highly doubt that the Resistance would see it fit to go and create another automated, sentient intelligence and equip them with powerful weapons and designed for global warfare, and trust them to be their saviors. Especially all the while the Resistance just sits on its backs, possibly waiting to be placed back into the same position once again, only this time its from a new enemy, or worse, having to deal with both (NEXUS & Clones). I would think that the Resistance is all too familiar with; been there done that, and barely survived it. So yes, while some houses might still traverse down this dark path of experimental biotechnology, I seriously doubt the Resistance as a whole would entertain this as a global solution, especially after the catastrophic betrayal and history of NEXUS.

I could rant about this for hours... oh well back the darkness of my mind... House Hel'Brek is calling the demons are hungry.

Ah… do tell. By all means We Spliceheads are always eager to see what you are brewing.
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

Premier wrote:Sorry you were disappointed, but there are some major differences between gameplay of RTS, RTS and RT4X games and table top RPGs, especially for game preservation. The distinction between the time of growing a single Xerg in Starcaft vs the time required to grow a single mature Gore hound in a Gene pool of Splicers being a good example of this. There is a lot more in-depth in table tops to consider.

I actually wasn't referring to the speed of builds, but rather the tactical and strategic aspects of the mentioned genres. For example RTTS stands for Real Time Tactical Strategy, in most such games you are given finite resources and objectives to complete, reinforcements are few and far between and in many losses and damage may carry over to future missions.

RT4X is a resource managements genre that has the player manage populations, income, production as well as battles for control of land/resources.

Premier wrote:As to the “passive” metabs (Thermo, Photo, Parasitic), I think it all depends on the scenario, or could be a case by case, or opinionated view or even just a personal preference. I see each having its own advantages and disadvantages that can make these “passives” still a good and valid option. If your Great House resides in a harsh environment or where you will be conducting field ops in and where food resources may be scarce, then having these passive metabolisms may be invaluable units to have.

Photo can only reliably be used during the day. Thermo can only reliably be used when it is warm/hot out. Parasitic... is just insanity given form. House Hel'Brek is going to be a monstrous house likely hated as much as respected (likely in the way one respects a rattler...) but I find it unlikely that they'd employ Parasitic HA's.

Premier wrote:“An army marches on its stomach”, and if there is little food in the area that the army or platoon must survive and perform in, then what happens to that army? Not every Great House is going to be blessed with a lush and rich environment. For those Great Houses that do have such a bounty of resources, I would suspect that they would likely be fighting tooth and nail to keep it, “if” not they better watch their backs.

A solution inspired by nature... A sharks digestive tract is little more then a tube running along the spine. Inside that tube is all of the needed surface area bound up in a spiral. A carnivorous digestive system that is compact and efficient... as long as you don't mind throwing up a few hard bits from time to time... that spiral digestion track doesn't like hard bits.

Thermosynthetics feed on heat nothing says they can't feed on their own heat...

Thermovore, Carnivore enhanced Thermosynthetic metabolism capable of passively feeding on ambient environmental heat the Thermovore can when needed 'burn' stored energy to generate thermal energy to over come environmental deficiencies or to augment itself as needed for combat. Design Flaws: must consume meat to generate energy stores. Endothermic output is slow to build and slower to stop. When self heating the Thermovore loses all thermal stealth capabilities.

A first generation of this would probably be something akin to a chimera with a carnivore's mouth and the previously described digestive tube essentially strapped on to a Thermosynthetic's body as a personal heat generator. I imagine they'd just cause complications before the fully blended thermovore is finally developed.

An alternative would be to use a herbivore metabolism as the addon as by their very nature they generate lots of heat. I disregarded this for two reasons, Herbivore's would require a pot belly and would be incapable of shutting down their furnace as easily as a carnivore can.

Premier wrote: Yeah, I suppose “some” Great Houses could indeed do this cloning tactic to avoid exhausting their own human reserves. I have “entertained” this line of thinking several times” and can’t reveal much as it could be a possible spoiler. However, thinking in the shoes of the Resistance, they just got back to a position where they feel they have a smudge of hope against an enemy that they created, trusted and empowered. I highly doubt that the Resistance would see it fit to go and create another automated, sentient intelligence and equip them with powerful weapons and designed for global warfare, and trust them to be their saviors. Especially all the while the Resistance just sits on its backs, possibly waiting to be placed back into the same position once again, only this time its from a new enemy, or worse, having to deal with both (NEXUS & Clones). I would think that the Resistance is all too familiar with; been there done that, and barely survived it. So yes, while some houses might still traverse down this dark path of experimental biotechnology, I seriously doubt the Resistance as a whole would entertain this as a global solution, especially after the catastrophic betrayal and history of NEXUS.

One solution is to create a matrix like environment where the flash grown humans experience life, love and all that. The final step is to enter the very pod they awaken from well aware that they have been reborn to fight a war to save those they left behind. Besides if done well and carefully by time the other houses figured out what's going on it'd be to late and you'd have achieved critical mass.

Another option and one that would make parasitic HA's viable in my eyes is the use of cloned and possibly enhanced bodies for dieing warriors transcribe their minds onto a storage medium and once their new body is grown put them back to use.

Swarm Concept:

Dig deep, miles deep to where the earth is hot and energy is plentiful. Grow a colony cut off from the surface, isolated and alone guarded by creatures built to guard and to hunt for biomass. Grow the colony and expand creating new colonies, continue to expand and grow even after you are legion.

Send warriors to the surface attack and raid bring back samples of unknown biotech and life, destroy the machine as your find them. Locate and isolate the factories continue to grow and expand. Destroy the machine's factories one by one at the pace set by the growth of the army.

When biomass runs short... consume the houses... destroy the machine.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

I actually wasn't referring to the speed of builds, but rather the tactical and strategic aspects of the mentioned genres. For example RTTS stands for Real Time Tactical Strategy, in most such games you are given finite resources and objectives to complete, reinforcements are few and far between and in many losses and damage may carry over to future missions.

RT4X is a resource managements genre that has the player manage populations, income, production as well as battles for control of land/resources.

Oh, I get what RTS, RS and RT4X are, I actually wiki them to be sure. However, there are major distinctions and consequences that one doesn’t experience or get into as comprehensive within RT gaming versus the in-depth settings and variables in table tops (IMO). That was my point, I was just giving one example. I get what you were saying.

Re: Passives -

Photo can only reliably be used during the day. Thermo can only reliably be used when it is warm/hot out. Parasitic... is just insanity given form. House Hel'Brek is going to be a monstrous house likely hated as much as respected (likely in the way one respects a rattler...) but I find it unlikely that they'd employ Parasitic HA's.

I think it’s a simple difference in view points on this one.

Photosynthetic HAs aren’t unreliable, they are just temporarily sluggish & not as strong during their temporary downtime. pilots of Photos are well aware of their limitations and parameters, so they know what hey can rely on and how to pace themselves. This doesn’t mean they can’t fight or still conduct sufficient combat in the dark. Only if starved are they in any kind of trouble. They only need 8 hrs of sun over a 3 day span to be good. However, for example a Carnivore HA must eat at least 10-30 pounds of animal matter and rest 2D4 hrs per day, or it gets ill affects, unless it gorges. Now that required rests periods which could be the equivalent of the same 8 hrs that a Photo stretches across 3 days. For Carnivores, they need availed quarry, hunting time, risk injury depending upon the quarry and energy expended, plus potentially 6-24 hrs of inactive down time. That’s a lot more to consider versus stepping into the sunrise requiring no sleep or rest, plus a bonus attack/melee action.

Thermo is possibly the easiest of them all, thinking about it. It doesn't have to be hot outside for it to fully function if other provisions are strategically constructed. Sure a Thermo HA can’t get fire breath, but who is to say you can’t try to get or request an Engineer to forge a variable incendiary unit that can be hand held, back or forearm mounted? I imagine something along the lines of the 1st Predator heating its wrist blades as a sample of such an innovation. Just cut on your torch and heat your HA accordingly. It may take some down time to go over your HA, but it’s feasible. It could be fueled by gases or flammable liquids that require refueling. In a setting where Omega cannons and Heat Projector cannons can be equipped, fire is literally to simple to not have such a novice devise developed. I can only see GMs not allowing such a devise if they feared it would upset their game balance.

Parasitic is extremely efficient, though just not as tasteful or ethical in some circles. But if there is an HA that doesn't need to deviate from the sortie to go kill something to replenish ammo or energy or be exposed, it’s the parasite. It’s the one HA that is going to fight relentlessly, plus 2 attacks and can likely outlast all others in a constant fight.

House Hel’Brek, hmmm.. sounds like your cooking up a dark house indeed.

A solution inspired by nature... A sharks digestive tract is little more then a tube running along the spine. Inside that tube is all of the needed surface area bound up in a spiral. A carnivorous digestive system that is compact and efficient... as long as you don't mind throwing up a few hard bits from time to time... that spiral digestion track doesn't like hard bits.

Thermosynthetics feed on heat nothing says they can't feed on their own heat...

Thermovore, Carnivore enhanced Thermosynthetic metabolism capable of passively feeding on ambient environmental heat the Thermovore can when needed 'burn' stored energy to generate thermal energy to over come environmental deficiencies or to augment itself as needed for combat. Design Flaws: must consume meat to generate energy stores. Endothermic output is slow to build and slower to stop. When self heating the Thermovore loses all thermal stealth capabilities.

A first generation of this would probably be something akin to a chimera with a carnivore's mouth and the previously described digestive tube essentially strapped on to a Thermosynthetic's body as a personal heat generator. I imagine they'd just cause complications before the fully blended thermovore is finally developed.

Sounds pretty innovative and intriguing.

An alternative would be to use a herbivore metabolism as the addon as by their very nature they generate lots of heat. I disregarded this for two reasons, Herbivore's would require a pot belly and would be incapable of shutting down their furnace as easily as a carnivore can.

I get the shutting down the furnace aspect (maybe an omnivore might be better suited for what you are seeking as they are the most adaptive of consumers. However, the potbelly issue is just an aesthetic challenge that can be easily modified. Instead of having the food sent into a pot belly that is located on the belly of the HA, it could be devised to be several throats that lead to the back of the HA like a pair of reservoir backpacks or rear mounted shoulder units, covered in some protective armor and bam! No pot belly. A stallion, minotaur styled, elk stag, rhino or ceratopsian could make for a very noble, powerful and intimidating Herbivore HA without any pot belly.

Premier wrote:
Yeah, I suppose “some” Great Houses could indeed do this cloning tactic to avoid exhausting their own human reserves. I have “entertained” this line of thinking several times” and can’t reveal much as it could be a possible spoiler. However, thinking in the shoes of the Resistance, they just got back to a position where they feel they have a smudge of hope against an enemy that they created, trusted and empowered. I highly doubt that the Resistance would see it fit to go and create another automated, sentient intelligence and equip them with powerful weapons and designed for global warfare, and trust them to be their saviors. Especially all the while the Resistance just sits on its backs, possibly waiting to be placed back into the same position once again, only this time its from a new enemy, or worse, having to deal with both (NEXUS & Clones). I would think that the Resistance is all too familiar with; been there done that, and barely survived it. So yes, while some houses might still traverse down this dark path of experimental biotechnology, I seriously doubt the Resistance as a whole would entertain this as a global solution, especially after the catastrophic betrayal and history of NEXUS.

One solution is to create a matrix like environment where the flash grown humans experience life, love and all that. The final step is to enter the very pod they awaken from well aware that they have been reborn to fight a war to save those they left behind. Besides if done well and carefully by time the other houses figured out what's going on it'd be to late and you'd have achieved critical mass.

That’s how they all start out. Perceived control.

I can’t help but think…

John Hammond: “Yes, The animals won't even know they're there. Very low impact. Strictly observation and documentation. Our satellite infareds show the animals are fiercely territorial. The carnivores are isolated in the interior of the island, so the team can stay on the outer rim. Don't worry, I'm not making the same mistakes again.
Ian Malcolm: No, you're making all new ones. [exasperated] John...! So there's another island with dinosaurs-no fences this time!- and you want to send people in, very few people, on the ground?!

And then Splicerize:

John Hammond: Yes, the Clones won't even know they're in this perceived utopia pod until we expose them to the harsh reality that surrounds them, that threatens this utopia. The clones will be fiercely territorial and loyal to our cause and protect this utopia and the ones they are leaving behind. The clone utopia will be so isolated and misled, that the true havens will be safe from harm’s way. Don’t worry. Were not making the same mistakes again.
Malcom retorts: No, you’re making all new ones. (exasperated) John…! So there’s another massive sentient creation- no fail safe discs, programs and physical distinctions this time! -And you want to arm them with biotech weaponry, unleash them to the surface, exposing them to the harsh, horrific reality of warfare, the nanobot plague, blood feuds and intra-guild politics. Give them some perceived notion of true liberation and have them among the haven populace?!

I couldn’t help it. This is how I see the Resistance viewing this after the betrayal and near extermination attempt by NEXUS. Let alone preserving the deception from an entire colony of sentient beings and preserving that utopia. Heck why should the clones have all the fun and protection in the utopia. Let alone the selfish and cruel flaws of humanity tainting this opportunity. Or anomaly Clones causing riots, uprisings and other unforeseen issues when they possibly learn or detect they are being deceived. Then there is the Resistance which could view such an ordeal as reckless and crossing the lines, and also the concerns of increased distrust among alliances and the populace as a whole.

But… it doesn’t mean that a Great House wouldn’t try it or that it wouldn’t be an effective plan. Eventually if the war comes down to being a numbers game, this idea would be a cheered back up plan and a nice ace up the sleeve, even if we still lose.

Another option and one that would make parasitic HA's viable in my eyes is the use of cloned and possibly enhanced bodies for dieing warriors transcribe their minds onto a storage medium and once their new body is grown put them back to use.

Ah…the Prestige immortality.

Your going to have some fun I see... :D

Return to “Splicers®”