Splicers MDC to SDC

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kinghawke
Explorer

Splicers MDC to SDC

Unread post by Kinghawke »

if Splicers managed to build a machine or steal a machine to tear open a Rift & leave to either escape or get allies: assuming they got a SDC world like Nightbane with average magical energy (not saturated like Rifts), how would the typical splicer balance out? same with any machines that found a way through.

if we converted it strictly MDC To SDC equivalents, the grunts would overpower the Nightlords.
King Hawke--I don't make the world, I just live in it
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Splicers MDC to SDC

Unread post by Guy_LeDouche »

Kinghawke wrote:if Splicers managed to build a machine or steal a machine to tear open a Rift & leave to either escape or get allies: assuming they got a SDC world like Nightbane with average magical energy (not saturated like Rifts), how would the typical splicer balance out? same with any machines that found a way through.

if we converted it strictly MDC To SDC equivalents, the grunts would overpower the Nightlords.

The Nightlords could use a lesson in humility. ;) Kinghawke, speaking simply for me and my gaming universe, here's my take.

The Splicers universe is definately a high powered one. If you're looking for straight conversion ideas, here's what I would suggest:

Drop weapon or ability damage by one, possibly two die. For example, a weapon in Splicers that does 5D8 damage now does 4 or even 3D8 damage. This should bring the damage more in line with the setting.

Reduce M.D.C. by 20-25%, maybe more for an S.D.C. setting. Both robots and Host Armor are going to have pretty high Armor Ratings and this should balance them out a bit more.

That's about it from the top of my head. Unfortunately, I don't have either Splicers or Nightspawn with me.
Fairy tales begin with "Once upon a time". Southern fairy tales begin with "Y'all ain't gonna believe this s**t!!"

XBL Gamertag: Guy L3D0uch3

If Keanu Reeves had played Thulsa Doom, he would have told Conan to contemplate on the Tree of Whoa..
Kinghawke
Explorer

Guy_LeDouche wrote:
Kinghawke wrote:if Splicers managed to build a machine or steal a machine to tear open a Rift & leave to either escape or get allies: assuming they got a SDC world like Nightbane with average magical energy (not saturated like Rifts), how would the typical splicer balance out? same with any machines that found a way through.

The Nightlords could use a lesson in humility. ;) Kinghawke, speaking simply for me and my gaming universe, here's my take.

The Splicers universe is definately a high powered one. If you're looking for straight conversion ideas, here's what I would suggest:

Drop weapon or ability damage by one, possibly two die. For example, a weapon in Splicers that does 5D8 damage now does 4 or even 3D8 damage. This should bring the damage more in line with the setting.

Reduce M.D.C. by 20-25%, maybe more for an S.D.C. setting. Both robots and Host Armor are going to have pretty high Armor Ratings and this should balance them out a bit more.

That's about it from the top of my head. Unfortunately, I don't have either Splicers or Nightspawn with me.

that could work. but since the MDC Bio-Armors are MDC without any magic or psionics affecting it, would they stay MDC in an SDC world? every 1 point of MDC is 100 SDC
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

Kinghawke wrote:that could work. but since the MDC Bio-Armors are MDC without any magic or psionics affecting it, would they stay MDC in an SDC world? every 1 point of MDC is 100 SDC

I think it would be a matter of necessity. Without converting from MDC to SDC, Bio-Armors would be monstrously powerful. Even 1st level Host Armors can have 300+ M.D.C. pretty easily. These things would be juggernauts. A small cadre of Splicer troops could wipe out nearly anything at that rate.

If you're looking for a "story line" reason (instead of just arbitrarily mandating it), you could always say its some side effect of the Dark Day.

On a side note, I've personally always felt Splicers should have been an SDC world.
Fairy tales begin with "Once upon a time". Southern fairy tales begin with "Y'all ain't gonna believe this s**t!!"

If Keanu Reeves had played Thulsa Doom, he would have told Conan to contemplate on the Tree of Whoa..
Kinghawke
Explorer

Guy_LeDouche wrote:
Kinghawke wrote:that could work. but since the MDC Bio-Armors are MDC without any magic or psionics affecting it, would they stay MDC in an SDC world? every 1 point of MDC is 100 SDC

I think it would be a matter of necessity. Without converting from MDC to SDC, Bio-Armors would be monstrously powerful. Even 1st level Host Armors can have 300+ M.D.C. pretty easily. These things would be juggernauts. A small cadre of Splicer troops could wipe out nearly anything at that rate.

If you're looking for a "story line" reason (instead of just arbitrarily mandating it), you could always say its some side effect of the Dark Day.

On a side note, I've personally always felt Splicers should have been an SDC world.

the storyline would be that the Seedlings that the Librarians know what they are, but nobody else does, are dimensional ships to escape Splicers world. they are alien organic tech.
the downside is that they would be very vulnerable to magic & psionics, until they grew immunities to it. the upside, if they hit someone, they 'splode! I'm trying to find any way to make it more balanced. maybe just double whatever their numbers of MDC are & call it SDC?
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Guy_LeDouche wrote:

Why not just "step down" the die type? a d8 becomes a d6 etc...
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

the true power of the nightlords isn't in their ability to throw 500d6 lightning bolts in your face or anything like that.

it's that you probably won't ever even realize you were facing one before you get stuck in some completely inexplicable situation where you're royally screwed, and aren't even sure how you got there let alone how you might be able to get out of it.

they're not tanks. fighting a nightlord shouldn't be like fighting a gigantic robot with powerful weapons.

it should be like trying to hunt down a squad of commandos that have had months to prepare, know that you're coming, and are able to telepathically communicate and co-ordinate their traps and attacks. except that these particular commandos want to torture you to death so that your life energy will be more tasty when they suck it out of you. and they also have an army of loyal minions to call on as well.
Kinghawke
Explorer

Rappanui wrote:a gm friend of mine converted all of splicers to SDC a while ago. I can send is notes privately.

I am very interested in those notes.
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

Kinghawke wrote:
Rappanui wrote:a gm friend of mine converted all of splicers to SDC a while ago. I can send is notes privately.

I am very interested in those notes.

I would like to see those as well, if possible.

Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

Damian Magecraft wrote:Why not just "step down" the die type? a d8 becomes a d6 etc...

Works for me. The main thing is the weapon damage has to be reduced in some way, shape, or form to bring it more in line with the Nightspawn power level.

Kinghawke
Explorer

Guy_LeDouche wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:Why not just "step down" the die type? a d8 becomes a d6 etc...

Works for me. The main thing is the weapon damage has to be reduced in some way, shape, or form to bring it more in line with the Nightspawn power level.

generally speaking, for conversions, I just take the MDC numbers, x2, make them SDC/HP. would that be fair?
Kinghawke
Explorer

Rappanui wrote:would the people who recieved the notes, speak up if you got them, or do you need that i resend?

got'em
dargo83
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by dargo83 »

got mine thanks love them and u can send me anything else u have especaly anything dead reign related

Return to “Splicers®”