Vampires arriving in Splicers World !!!???

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

TechnoGothic
Knight

Vampires arriving in Splicers World !!!???

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

You heard me guys.
I wonder how Vampires would react arriving in the World of the Splicers ?

Vampire Intelligence Type (Rifts) I know would not fair too well. Well they would, but they would not be able to bring the VI to the Splicers World at the moment due to no Ley Lines and the extremely Low PPE levels of the planet/setting.

However ... Rifter #49 Type of Vampires already comes from a magic poor setting, although Splicers is even more PPE poor. BUT they would be better off in the setting as a whole. Vampire Lord/Lady arrives, turns many into Common Vampires.
The Machine would be helpless against the Vampires, not being able to fight them effectively if at all.

YOUR Opinions and Comments on the subject people ... ??
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Nightmask
Palladin

Re: Vampires arriving in Splicers World !!!???

Unread post by Nightmask »

TechnoGothic wrote:You heard me guys.

Vampire Intelligence Type (Rifts) I know would not fair too well. Well they would, but they would not be able to bring the VI to the Splicers World at the moment due to no Ley Lines and the extremely Low PPE levels of the planet/setting.

However ... Rifter #49 Type of Vampires already comes from a magic poor setting, although Splicers is even more PPE poor. BUT they would be better off in the setting as a whole. Vampire Lord/Lady arrives, turns many into Common Vampires.
The Machine would be helpless against the Vampires, not being able to fight them effectively if at all.

While I haven't seen the setting if you're talking a machine intelligence wouldn't it eventually learn what their weaknesses are? At the least it'd notice that 'hey those weird humans ALWAYS disappear when the sun comes out, hmmm I wonder if there's a connection...'
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Not likely. The Human Resistance operate mostly at night already. Excpet for the Photosynthesis host armors of course.

But the machne would notice these Humans have Supernatural Strength enough to tear apart Warmachines with their bare hands. That Energy Weapons and Projectile weapons just pass through them almost as if they arent being harmed by them. That there are more and more of them every night attacking. Why arent they these humans showing up on Thermals ? How do they get into structures no human should be able to enter ?

Vampires are a huge threat to the machine.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Premier
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist

Unread post by Premier »

TechnoGothic wrote:Not likely. The Human Resistance operate mostly at night already. Excpet for the Photosynthesis host armors of course.

But the machne would notice these Humans have Supernatural Strength enough to tear apart Warmachines with their bare hands. That Energy Weapons and Projectile weapons just pass through them almost as if they arent being harmed by them. That there are more and more of them every night attacking. Why arent they these humans showing up on Thermals ? How do they get into structures no human should be able to enter ?

Vampires are a huge threat to the machine.

I too would have to familiarize myself with the #49 vampires, but I doubt they would be a huge threat to N.E.X.U.S. if they are based anything remotely to the same as Rifts vampires. N.E.X.U.S. is exceptionally intelligent and strategic and have literally thousands of years of advanced technology, capabilites and resources at its disposable to handle an invasive vampiric threat. Again we are talking about an A.I. that produced the nanobot plague. To program nanobots on such a detailed and efficient form, and produce them globally, these nanobots would also be infectious to the vampires and would invade their physical/solid forms. Let alone if N.E.X.U.S. decided to create some new programmed nanobot strictly geared for this invasive vampire.

I also agree with Nightmask, that the behavior patterns would easily be observed, studied/analyzed and extensive testing on captive vampires would easily reveal and yield limitations, requirements, weaknesses and vulnerabilities on these new invasive species of humanoid. Silver, moving water (hydro weapons), ultra violet rays, direct sunlight, boundaries or territories established, areas avoided, etc., would eventually surface. If humans can learn and fight and defeat vampires with their limited availed technology then surely a global powered & advanced AI would decimate them "if" it so chose. We are talking an intelligent resourceful super power that can manufacture its desired array of weapons and counter measures in the millions/billions. Streel Troopers and Sky fighters armed with UV armament and tanks wth UV light gun/laser batteries would send a raiding party of vampires packing with their fangs between their gums. Let alone arm them with hydro cutter cannons.

Ever read the book VAMPIRE$ by John Steakley? They had a group of vampire killers who made it a science on how to hunt and destroy vampires. Literally they would dynamite an underground tomb or hidden area whiel they were sleeping and bring the sunlight to the vampires and when they came scurrying they shot them with stakes the size of bats, or would drag their buts out into the sunlight with harpoons. They had chain mail with hallogen U/V light crosses. etc. This was a small group, nothing onthe sclae fo N.E.X.U.S.

We should remember that there was a high level of advanced technology such as power armors, tanks, during the beginning of the Great War between NEXUS and the Resistance. Who knows what lurks in the databanks of N.E.X.U.S. I would also like to remind you that the current state that the Splicers world is in is in a sleep/cruise control sort of stasis and yet NEXUS conducts several trillions of functions at the same time. N.E.X.U.S. is not even fighting the Resistance full gore.

On another note, who said the Resistance mostly operates at night? I missed that one.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Dont give the AI that much credit myself. If i did, their would be no human resistance in the first place.

Only thing i forgot was supernaturals in splicers inflict sdc damages as default due to low ppe.

But the machine couldnt harm a vampire to find out its weakness. Besides how do you capture someone who turns to mist or shapeshifts into bats to hide.

If it was as easy as you think, Rifts Earth would not have a vampire problem as written either.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Premier

Unread post by Premier »

Dont give the AI that much credit myself. If i did, their would be no human resistance in the first place.

NEXUS is no slouche. Think of what calculated methods and advanced manufacturing capabilities it would take to successfully convert all metal and infect organic living structures to cause the nanobot plague and the various hostile reactions. OR what about the advanced technology NEXUS had to design to "successfully" shift tectonic plates to keep distorting continent structures. The several trillion task that are conducted simultaneously or the advanced structures, designs, etc. The very way NEXUS has somehow created its own techno necromancy with the Necroborgs and Necrobots is a feat of wicked ingenius and surely demonstrates advanced technology and a high intelligence. I think your downplaying of NEXUS to preserve humanity is the seed that you have planted without necessary cause. Humans are very resourceful and have their advantages as well and should never be downplayed. This is why Splicers is such a dreadful and challenging setting in the first place.

Only thing i forgot was supernaturals in splicers inflict sdc damages as default due to low ppe.

Very true and valid point as well.

But the machine couldnt harm a vampire to find out its weakness. Besides how do you capture someone who turns to mist or shapeshifts into bats to hide.

Sure the Machine could easily harm vampires. I listed several possiilities in my first post. Replicating ultra violet, sun light into advanced technology weapons with rapid pulse and wide beams is a GOOD start. Uprooting vampire nesting sites during the diurnal time and exposing them to direct sunlight is another. Vampires turned into mist are still in the form of gaseous form and can be vacuumed, frozen/altered, traced or placed into air tight pressure sealed containments to be latter opened in broad day light. Bats can be targeted by laser sighted computer systems and shot down with the same acute sunlight/UV lasers, smart rockets, etc., no biggie there either. Let alone hydro cutters. The key is NEXUS runs the planet and with its advanced array of monitoring systems even satellite weapons, they can watch, observe and learn about the vampires and even capture them and use them as tests subject to determine and sift their weaknesses and then exploit them in the field. If nothing else on a grand scheme, NEXUS could deploy large satellite reflectors to reflect and coordinate sunlight from around the world with an array of specialized dishes that would be easily launched into space. Or what about capturing vampires and sealing them in pressurized capsules and simply dropping them into the bottom of an ocean. What about UV light explosive ammo rounds of various calibers that could easily be installed in projectile weapons. There are ways and will always be ways to kill vampires and NEXUS could be very good at it.

If it was as easy as you think, Rifts Earth would not have a vampire problem as written either.

Vampires on Rifts Earth are a problem but there are a ton of BIGGER problems on Rifts Earth, so there is no major consolidated focus on a global scheme singling out and only vampires. There is just so much stuff on Rifts Earth. There are also limited resources on Rifts Earth. Thats not the case with Splicers and NEXUS. NEXUS has the man power/numbers, and the resources to manufacture and facilitate what ever they need, a strategic collective mindset, none of the limitations that vampires have. Vampires also would not be converting NEXUS minions, so the numbers game does not fair well for vampires either. NEXUS would treat vampires like a new invasive pest, track them and exterminate and torture them and leave "some" around to study and to avoid accidental genocide of a species.

I take it you really like vampires huh?
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Kovoston »

TechnoGothic wrote:You heard me guys.

That would be cool!!!
krispy
Hero
Comment: Luck favors the prepared

Unread post by krispy »

Hmm, I honestly haven’t put much thought into bringing other Palladium creations into Splicers, though I must admit I had imagined Xiticix, but Vampires. That would be an interesting dynamic to witness unfold

I haven’t read #49 but I assume there is a fundamental difference from how they work in Rifts

Now, NEXUS vs Vampires. N is quite established over the world with countless millions of war machines at her fingertips.
N is also a Methodical, Calculating, analytical, and above all terrifyingly Creative AI

V – it would take a while to get a foothold (established base and numbers) in this reality and it would only be a matter of time before they are discovered

N – would learn quickly that her standard armament are ineffective against the V and would begin devise alternatives in a rapid trial and error period. N with her cold observation would learn the habits of V – e.g. strictly nocturnal, avoid rivers, ocean etc

I wouldn’t put it passed N to have protocols in place to deal with ‘alien’ contacts and that she would create a layered observation zone with an extremely high concentration of robots to determine the spread of this new player whilst searching her data banks to see if anything like this had been encountered before across the world

Aahh, the many HL&S

-The V Lord/Lady keeps a low profile while studying this new world. Learns the main players and tries to sway Splicers by promising powers to defeat NEXUS

-It begins with a noticeable reduction in ambushes or raids from Waste Crawlers. People find abandoned Abomination WMs, and abandoned encampments with valuable resources left behind. What is going on?

-A routine recruiting drive at a nearby Retro-village reveals it to be devoid of life but it hasn’t been purged by NEXUS??
connecting the dots
TechnoGothic
Knight

With the Arrivial of Vampires, it could also be the first sign of something going on with the planet's PPE amount.

Lets say the avaiable PPE increased for some reason. Giving Magic-users, Psionics normal SDC setting level useage as found in HU2/PF/NB settings more or less.

@Krisby. Good ideas for plots ;)

Nexus is not going to think about supernaturals or "vampires" as a possiblity i believe. Its a computer, it has never encountered the supernatural before and would not come to that way of thinking for many many years 10+ at least i would think. That stuff is impossible !! ;)
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

TechnoGothic wrote:With the Arrivial of Vampires, it could also be the first sign of something going on with the planet's PPE amount

thats an interseting point. possible unexpected side effect from an experiment NEXUS was undertaking

@Krisby. Good ideas for plots ;)

thank you

Nexus is not going to think about supernaturals or "vampires" as a possiblity i believe. Its a computer, it has never encountered the supernatural before and would not come to that way of thinking for many many years 10+ at least i would think. That stuff is impossible !! ;)

your probably right that NEXUS might not understand the concept of a supernatural being but they can still be killed. it just takes, like i said, trial and error and with a planet full of resources i would consider they could find some sollutions in a short period of time

but, if your right and it would take NEXUS 10+ years to solve the problem of how to kill them i would think they would go into containment mode and employ a workforce of 10mil+ robots and build the worlds biggest mote or turn that part of the continent into an island, if it isnt already :)

all this is good cos lately ive been thinking about the show Sliders and all the potential parallel universes existing simultaneously and how you could play Splicers but say 4 different versions. like how they did Dead Reign and put the alternate setting in #45 so if you wanted you could play both at the same time

im actually doing this in the Judge Dredd RPG as their psychics can look into parallel worlds and travel (if GM allows) to these parallel worlds. if that isnt cool enough the psychic characters can also travel forward or backward in time and the book actually covers how to deal with the potential paradoxes when you travel back in time
connecting the dots
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

Thank you Technogothic for this thread on vampires in Splicers cos it gave me a great idea

Birth of the Splicer Vampire

This again is a completely raw idea, it clicked today…..no stats at all

Many have been wondering what is growing in the belly of the Tormentor

This is something I thought of

A Dark Librarian (not a very creative name)

Once the alien larva matures it begins to secrete a substance that envelopes the Tormenter encasing them into a cocoon, body armor and all. What emerges is something more grotesque than that of the Librarian. An 8ft tall (at the shoulders) extremely heavy set humanoid. The head has doubled in size and the face is emaciated, almost a skull and split into numerous parts but still function as a whole unit. The neck (in proportion) has elongated to 4 times its normal length and is covered in spiked bone plates

with all the same abilities of the original Librarian (and more) except that it cant create the standard Scarecrow, instead they can create something more disturbing (see later descriptor)

The normal 8 external tentacles of the Librarian are now internalized and housed in its fat distended abdomen and exit from the Librarians mouth / or from an abdominal port where the belly button normally is

The DNA mediums that are regularly given to engineers have become part of a concoction the Librarian uses to create their minions.

Taking a leaf from one of the smallest creatures on the planet, bacteria are a resilient bunch being able to quickly build resistances to a variety of antibiotics through an amazing ability known as Horizontal Gene Transfer.

The librarian attacks its prey and injects them with a concoction of Elixir and a recoding (mutagen) DNA strand that begins to rewrite the victims DNA mutating it into …..still thinking of possibly outcomes from the recoding

Splicer Vampires:

….I’m thinking of something that when injected into a HA the rider and HA are fused and become one

….I’m thinking the recoding strand converts any metabolism into a combo of vampiric and carnivorous (how cool and scary would that be to witness say a photo metab forming a mouth full of teeth)

…I’m thinking that the Elixir binds the victim to the Librarian and enables all who have been bitten to recognize others from the same brood

…. I’m thinking that noone is safe - ordinary humans, biotics, HA (even with rider inside), WMs
connecting the dots
Quantum07
Explorer

Unread post by Quantum07 »

I like the Dark Librarian idea.

As for the machine taking out vampires, the ones in Rifter 49 do not melt to moving water. If they are in water, they lose their powers and drown, because they cannot swim. They should still do MD with supernatural strength, because the Scarecrows have supernatural strength and do MD. The machine would have a hard time at first, until it could prove the supernatural. Also, i do not believe UV lights hurt these vampires, it is something mystical about sunlight. And then, the oldest vampires from Rifter 49 can become immune to sunlight for a time.

On another note with the machine, it would probably assume this was some new Splicer, and not vampires. Thus, shoot it more. And I do not believe the machine has gotten ahold of and anayzed a Splicer, so it would be feasible for the vampires to get away too.
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

Quantum07 wrote:I like the Dark Librarian idea.

thanks mate.

i will have to put some time towards the idea to flesh it out
connecting the dots
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

page 172
Supernatual strength inflics mega damage.
You could IMPLY vampires do not get supernatural strength, but supernatural strength is in splicers.
I do not think vampires would go SDC in an MDC world.
Also I think the writer of splicers did not want cross-overs so it was written that it is a low magic world.
I disagree spending bio-e points suggests weird pseudo science or supernatural forces at work. Scarecrows are supernatural creatures so this supports the theory.
Now if it was going to be a non magic world they should have left out supernatural strength completely.
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

boxee wrote:page 172
You could IMPLY vampires do not get supernatural strength, but supernatural strength is in splicers.
Also I think the writer of splicers did not want cross-overs so it was written that it is a low magic world.
I disagree spending bio-e points suggests weird pseudo science or supernatural forces at work. Scarecrows are supernatural creatures so this supports the theory.
Now if it was going to be a non magic world they should have left out supernatural strength completely.

I can be corrected but Splicers supernatural strength isnt really 'supernatural' it is just called that cos it is at the same level of damage capacity
you are right this is a non magical world but this world is linked to the megaverse and there is always the slim chance that something from somewhere else in the megaverse will pop in for a visit - dragon, god, alien intelligence, xiticix, mechanoids, cosmo knight, superhero

now i know there are rules (but i cant remember in what book, im thinking conversion book but...ahh) when it comes to supernatural creature entering a non magic world and whether its mdc or sdc world..................................but this all may be moot cos Technogothic asked about the variant Vampires form #49 which i have no idea about

and to give another avenue i have begun creating a possible Splicer Vampire in an earlier post of mine in this thread
connecting the dots
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

krispy wrote:
boxee wrote:page 172

I can be corrected but Splicers supernatural strength isnt really 'supernatural' it is just called that cos it is at the same level of damage capacity
you are right this is a non magical world but this world is linked to the megaverse and there is always the slim chance that something from somewhere else in the megaverse will pop in for a visit - dragon, god, alien intelligence, xiticix, mechanoids, cosmo knight, superhero

now i know there are rules (but i cant remember in what book, im thinking conversion book but...ahh) when it comes to supernatural creature entering a non magic world and whether its mdc or sdc world..................................but this all may be moot cos Technogothic asked about the variant Vampires form #49 which i have no idea about

and to give another avenue i have begun creating a possible Splicer Vampire in an earlier post of mine in this thread

Very cool, I do like the way splicers is set up, I think it might diminish the setting to add "magic" but I kinda think maybe psionics would fit in like the norad psychic in system failure.
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

boxee wrote:Very cool, I do like the way splicers is set up, I think it might diminish the setting to add "magic" but I kinda think maybe psionics would fit in like the norad psychic in system failure.

page 13, 167 & 168 of the MB should help you alot

i dont have System Failure but i am interested in your train of thought about the norad psychic

i have thought about psychics in Splicers for a long time and it does say on pg 167 that the "indigenous people of the Splicers World do NOT possess psychic abilities, with the only exceptions being bio-genetic experiments (to be considered and covered in future Splicers sourcebooks)."

i hope it is covered, if not, i think the board will have to have a discussion as to an agreed level of psychic character we introduce into the Splicerverse
connecting the dots
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

krispy wrote:
boxee wrote:Very cool, I do like the way splicers is set up, I think it might diminish the setting to add "magic" but I kinda think maybe psionics would fit in like the norad psychic in system failure.

page 13, 167 & 168 of the MB should help you alot

i dont have System Failure but i am interested in your train of thought about the norad psychic

i have thought about psychics in Splicers for a long time and it does say on pg 167 that the "indigenous people of the Splicers World do NOT possess psychic abilities, with the only exceptions being bio-genetic experiments (to be considered and covered in future Splicers sourcebooks)."

i hope it is covered, if not, i think the board will have to have a discussion as to an agreed level of psychic character we introduce into the Splicerverse

In system failure there is an alien threat, called the "bugs". They infiltrate the words infra structure by travelling through eletrical lines. The human resistance fights using biotech and psychics, and also normal modern weaponary, there is no nano-plague there. The system is SDC but still kinda fits in the same idae of humans fighting overwhelming odds trying to save their world. System Failure is only a short time after the invasion, where splicers is many years later.

Well my thoughts about the NORAD psychic-
They may not be natural psychics, most likely enhanced through Splicer Technology, this technology may have downsides.
I have written some Splicer Tech, and will keep adding to my DeLong thread. I am thinking of adding a new implant that creates a psychic but makes the character distrubing in some way, have not decided how yet, but will most likely be a physical change, not to the extreme of a scarecrow but they will look different.
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

krispy wrote:I can be corrected but Splicers supernatural strength isnt really 'supernatural' it is just called that cos it is at the same level of damage capacity

I see some hardcore fanboyism for the vampires, so I don't know why I'm bothering. But, you guys are missing something with vampires. Nexus never has to put the supernatural together with vampires. the resistance already some some crazy stuff that is pretty much supernatural. She just has to find what works. While she probably wouldn't think to use water at first, #49's vampires went weak to fire instead. She uses fire and flame-throwers for psychological effect at least as much as warfare, enjoys both applications, and has it as a stock anti-personnel weapon. Really given what she is, what she is capable of, and how pathetically weak they would be in splicers, it's clear who would win.

Incase it isn't, I'll spell it out for you. Not vampires.

Also btw's splicer creatures with supernatural equivalent strength don't rely on magic to get it that strong. They rely on physics and structure. Vampires and other magical creatures rely on the magic part. Meaning they can be out wrestled by most humans in splicers. Well, ones of ps 16 or less. Those of ps 17 or more need to be taken down by two humans of equivalent strength. Furthermore, the vampires wouldn't have a food source capable of sustaining them in ANY numbers.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

People are still forgetting that the machine has alien dna samples. Its technology is likely greater then phaseworld. It has been around a looooooonnnnngggg time, likely ran into things in the past it had to develop unique solutions. The human resistance is only around to amuse the machine. The nano plague is everywhere, vampires would have no place to hide. It would be simple to use the plague to turn rock into water, oops sorry were you sleeping there?
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:Also btw's splicer creatures with supernatural equivalent strength don't rely on magic to get it that strong. They rely on physics and structure. Vampires and other magical creatures rely on the magic part. Meaning they can be out wrestled by most humans in splicers. Well, ones of ps 16 or less. Those of ps 17 or more need to be taken down by two humans of equivalent strength. Furthermore, the vampires wouldn't have a food source capable of sustaining them in ANY numbers.

hello again mate. that is what i was trying to bring across with supernatural strength in Splicers but you said it better
connecting the dots
TechnoGothic
Knight

Well Supernatural PS is the same in most of the settings. Carry x50, Lift x100. Only HU2 changes that to higher amounts.

So Vampires even in Splicers would just as strong as a vampire in PBFantasy, System Failure, Nightbane, Rifts, Wormwood, PhaseWorld, BtS, AtB, DR, RT.
Since Splicer advanced to mdc levels, vamps should be able to inflict md attacks...
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

TechnoGothic wrote:Well Supernatural PS is the same in most of the settings. Carry x50, Lift x100. Only HU2 changes that to higher amounts.

So Vampires even in Splicers would just as strong as a vampire in PBFantasy, System Failure, Nightbane, Rifts, Wormwood, PhaseWorld, BtS, AtB, DR, RT.
Since Splicer advanced to mdc levels, vamps should be able to inflict md attacks...

i agree with you mate, vampires are Sup Nat. and like dragons, gods, alien intelligences they are Sup Nat strong via magic
even in the Splicer setting they should be able to do MD attacks cos they are still magic....& ever since you started this thread ive been pondering what the girls would think about a true magically supernatural creature appearing on the scene....again going back to NEXUS experiment gone wrong
connecting the dots
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

amodernheathen wrote:A point has been validly made that a group of Vampires acting alone on Splicers Earth would likely be figured out. Lets assume that they keep their Supernatural PS. Or even down-grade to Superhuman. Why would the Machine figure out that they're vampires? If it did, then would the sheer illogic spawn an entirely new personality? Or even several? If Vampires are real, then Magic is real. Logical, right? If Magic is real then Gods are real. Logical, right? If Gods are real, then obviously the personalities are actual Goddesses. Logical, right? Also, since they use tech, they are obviously pretenders. Also the Vampires are part of a larger invasion. Also the Vampires are part of a weird new biotech. Also the Vampires don't exist, and so cannot be seen by the Machine or it's connected robots and drones. At least for specific personalities.

Question though. Why do we assume that the Vampires would act against the Machine? They don't drink machine lubricant after all. Why assume that the Vampires and some of the Great Houses wouldn't come to an "understanding"? Vampires would make great Warlords. 300 years of combat experience, mind control, telepathy, experience with stealth and subterfuge, transformational abilities enabling greater espionage against the House's enemies, not to mention that being dead, most Vampires would be immune to the nano-plague. Lilith would try to use them. Kali would love them.

A lot of the Retro-Villages believe that the Machine are actual deity, real vampires would fit in wonderfully with their world view, and they wouldn't even bat an eye. So they may not have to go to the Great Houses at all. They may never even come to the Machine's attention, at least not in numbers large enough to evidence a trend or a viable threat. Essentially, there is not one way it would have to go. Depending on the Vampires, and the humans, and which aspect of Nexus they meet, almost anything could happen.

Splicers is a ppe low environment, so not a tasty target. If they kept a low profile and I mean very low profile the machine would still notice them, but likely would not care. If they tried to take a retro village they would draw attention and quickly turned to goo. The retro villages are under the care of the machine.
Would the machine use them? Unlikely, they represent a random factor, the machine is about order. Would the machine know they were "vampires"? Maybe, maybe not. Would the machine figure out how to kill them? I would say fairly quickly.
Also there are several plot holes with vampires, the turn to mist problem. How could Dr.Reid torture them if they could simply turn to mist? Yea I know it is cool to have him disect them, but capturing them would not be possible for any length of time.
Quantum07
Explorer

Unread post by Quantum07 »

Well, I have some references here that point otherwise. First, according to the Splicers book, the only thing that happens to magical and supernatural creatures coming to Splicers is that their magic and PPE are reduced. This means their powers would be screwed up a bit, but they would still have Supernatural PS, and they would be HP creatures with all their weaknesses.

Also, in Atlantis on Rifts Earth, their is a group of vampires who have been hiding and harassing the Splugorth. And they have not been able to con firm the PRESENCE of the vamps, let alone catch them. I think it would be easier for the Splugorth to catch them, what with their tech and magic. Thus, very unlikely for anyone to find out or catch them.
TechnoGothic
Knight

@ Boxee
Dr.Reid Stakes the vampires first in the field. Then takes them back to the lab, and disects them while staked and unconscience. While staked they don't heal their wounds.

I don't see the Machines in Splicers using Wooden stakes as weapons to capture them.
We also have to remember this. The Machine might not have knowledge of vampires or vampire-like creatures in its databases. Not even Movies, Novels, etc...about Vampires. Splicers may or may not be earth or a Colony on another planet. Heck, it may even be a Human world that is PRE-Earth Society like the original Battlestar Galatica series.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

TechnoGothic wrote:@ Boxee
Dr.Reid Stakes the vampires first in the field. Then takes them back to the lab, and disects them while staked and unconscience. While staked they don't heal their wounds.

I don't see the Machines in Splicers using Wooden stakes as weapons to capture them.
We also have to remember this. The Machine might not have knowledge of vampires or vampire-like creatures in its databases. Not even Movies, Novels, etc...about Vampires. Splicers may or may not be earth or a Colony on another planet. Heck, it may even be a Human world that is PRE-Earth Society like the original Battlestar Galatica series.

Could be, but if the machine found an enemy it could not harm it would watch, Nanites make excellent spies. I think the machine would be able to adapt to find their weaknesses. The never around in sunlight might be something the machine would find out.
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Drat, I really need to find those notes I wrote on House Drakkul.....
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

BookWyrm wrote:Drat, I really need to find those notes I wrote on House Drakkul.....

Nice to have a new house, post it in the splicers fourm board please I dont want to miss it.
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

I am akin to agree with many that magical based vampires imply would be deduced to lesser forms of what everyone who is a major fan of them thinks.

1.) Even converting over to the lesser P.P.E. world (don't know why they would want to as I see little to gain for the effort) and still being magically based and driven at half prowess, vampires still have weaknesses (Fire, stakes, water, sunlight, thirst, etc.) that ordinary humans on Rifts Earth have eventually discovered and successfully utilized to quell vampires. What makes vampies terrifying is the growing numbers game and mystical nature. This IMHO, would likely be unattractive in a Splicers community where survival of humanity is already at stake and in dire straits. Could vamps survive in a Splicers setting? sure. Is it probable and would they or the intelligence want them to be there? probably not.

2.) What is the motivation for vampires being in a nil magic world where they are at half strength against alien predators, humans and machines that are M.D.C. based?

3.) Would N.E.X.U.S. pay attention to vampires? I say it depends on what N.E.X.U.S. witnesses of these invasive species, is what I speculate. ANY invasive species historically speaking, are not often well received as they offset the balance of an ecosystem. Gaia would particularly pay close attention to these possible pest creatures. Whose to say NEXUS hasn't already dealt with vampire or heard of them or contain data on them in her databanks? If the planet Splicers is on is a colony world that so happens to be a deadspace for Magic/PPE, that doesn't mean its derivative/historic accounts and experiences aren't archived and preserved. I mean really, the remnant humans named a Warmount a "Dracos" or Flying "hydra", so they have terms that are based off of common earth terms/myths nowadays. So why not "vampires" or any other mythical or legendary creature and knowledge/lore known or written about them being kept in a vast database? I really say N.E.X.U.s. overall would pay more attention to vampires on a "true" Splicers world depending on the affects the vampires cause and how those affects play a role in the various N.E.X.U.S. major 7 personalities agendas. In the end though "IF" N.E.X.U.S. wants to study, harm or eradicate vampires it is more than capable of doing so if ordinary humans can do it. N.E.X.U.S. has a ton of prototype technology and weaponry that it hasn't even utilized or mass produced, let alone satellite arsenal that is active to eradicate dis-obediant Retro-villages and nanobot technology. These are features that vampires would not even be prepared to counter or successfully flee from. N.E.X.U.S. never sleeps and they can purge vamps all year round with UV beam weapons, nanotech and automatic rapid fire stake crossbows if they so chose.

In the end I say "if" there is to be a "successful" vampire campaign that earns the same level of fear & respect as they do in normal magical based realms of the Megaverse then I suggest building a bio-version designed or evolved to do just that. Gene Thieves would be my suggestion for starters. Perhaps vampires did cross over into the setting and because of their nature they weren't as powerful but neither was their magically based supernatural regeneration and perhaps some of them were captured and succumbed to advanced studies by Librarians and thus a new bio form of vampire is created to begin as a playable O.C.C. but bound to a new master, the Librarian. Such vampires/Vampyres could have new proprietary Bio-E abilities or Negative Bio-E abilities that humans can't endure? Perhaps one of the alien predators recently unleashed from Gaia's cryo zoos is a vampiric creature with undiscovered abilities until now, and a Librarian gets a hold of it or its DNA and begins creating Splicer vampires. These are the methods I would seek to create a feasible vampire that would compare to the legendary fangers without the limitations and hindrances that derive from crossing over into a non magical/psionic world. Give fans a chance to deal with a new menace or version of vampire unlike anyone has encountered before. This way you get to tag your own creation and give it, its own unique Splicers flare. I honestly feel that there should be significant motivation(s) and evolutions to support this concept in such a dire habitat...

I also warn that once this door is open, then what's next and where does it end and should it begin at all? At what point does such crossovers begin to muddy the waters of Splicers and it becoming another Rifts setting. I also must remind those that there is a major underlying rule of thumb here:

It is clear Splicers is designed to be offset from normal/typical magical and psionic based settings, but for the sake of overall playability and possible conversions that channel is left open for GM's as they personally see fit. However, it is not something that is forced into the general setting of Splicers for there are two Writers at hand for the first sourcebook: Carmen & Kevin.

I suggest for safe play and sakes that if such magical/psionic concepts are to comb the Splicers setting(s), then they could be placed into a 2nd planet of Splicers, possibly call it Sirius-2, Cerberus-3 or something, where the planet is not stationed/orbiting such a deadspace for magic/psionics. This would allow a healthy blending of both facets as well as all the material provided by Splicers supplements without tainting or conflicting with the core planet.

Sorry for the long post Splice Fam but this is a dear subject matter to me as I wanted so many times to introduce Werewolves to Splicers but pulled the reigns in to preserve the setting and I caution anyone that does decide to delve into magic/psionic oriented inspirations to make it count if they go forth.
Last edited by Premier on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Couple of odd things, I have seen many things simply never talked about. One is that the USSR developed a satalite that redirected sunlight so it could produce daylight anywhere they wanted to. It was found to be a waste of resources and harmed ecology where it was used, animals became confused and disoriented. The Machine could easily do this, at will and not stress their resources........ Nanotech, a large mirror in space, ummmm seems easy.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Don't pull back Premier...

You want Werewolves ... use them. ;)
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

I also agree splicer could make a "vampire" type creature, might be worth thinking along these lines.
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

boxee wrote:I also agree splicer could make a "vampire" type creature, might be worth thinking along these lines.

have a look at one of my earlier posts in this thread. Technogothic inspired me to create the Dark Librarian who creates Splicer Vampires
connecting the dots
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

boxee wrote:Couple of odd things, I have seen many things simply never talked about. One is that the USSR developed a satalite that redirected sunlight so it could produce daylight anywhere they wanted to. It was found to be a waste of resources and harmed ecology where it was used, animals became confused and disoriented. The Machine could easily do this, at will and not stress their resources........ Nanotech, a large mirror in space, ummmm seems easy.

Stimulated minds think alike and if we both said and thought this then surely a crafty & uninhibited A.I. like N.E.X.U.S. would produce it. I posted this in reply to Technogothic earlier in this thread, I think you might have skipped it:

Quote:

Sure the Machine could easily harm vampires. I listed several possiilities in my first post. Replicating ultra violet, sun light into advanced technology weapons with rapid pulse and wide beams is a GOOD start. Uprooting vampire nesting sites during the diurnal time and exposing them to direct sunlight is another. Vampires turned into mist are still in the form of gaseous form and can be vacuumed, frozen/altered, traced or placed into air tight pressure sealed containments to be latter opened in broad day light. Bats can be targeted by laser sighted computer systems and shot down with the same acute sunlight/UV lasers, smart rockets, etc., no biggie there either. Let alone hydro cutters. The key is NEXUS runs the planet and with its advanced array of monitoring systems even satellite weapons, they can watch, observe and learn about the vampires and even capture them and use them as tests subject to determine and sift their weaknesses and then exploit them in the field. If nothing else on a grand scheme, NEXUS could deploy large satellite reflectors to reflect and coordinate sunlight from around the world with an array of specialized dishes that would be easily launched into space. Or what about capturing vampires and sealing them in pressurized capsules and simply dropping them into the bottom of an ocean. What about UV light explosive ammo rounds of various calibers that could easily be installed in projectile weapons. There are ways and will always be ways to kill vampires and NEXUS could be very good at it.

So satellite weaponry would certainly be used if the vampires even posed a feasible threat and sunlight was an obvious weakness/avoidance via observation.
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

TechnoGothic wrote:Don't pull back Premier...

You want Werewolves ... use them. ;)

I don't know.......? We have to see whats lurking "UP NORTH" in a future Splicers Arctic supplement. I can say this, its not faring good as long as I watch and get inspired by "Game of Thrones" and think of what icy wickedness could be lurking in the ice shelves & caverns where Machine rarely dwell and are more absent,(not totally smirk). Perfect habitat for illegal Biotech(GRRRRRRRR), isolated havens gone wrong or very, very, very right, alien predators to be released on a larger scale to scour the area and trouble any human Resistance, etc. Certainly this would make great hunting grounds for a Splicers verison of Werewolves.

But then there is the idea of a 2nd Offworld colony where magic and psionics might be more prolific.
Premier

Unread post by Premier »

krispy wrote:
boxee wrote:I also agree splicer could make a "vampire" type creature, might be worth thinking along these lines.

have a look at one of my earlier posts in this thread. Technogothic inspired me to create the Dark Librarian who creates Splicer Vampires

Then let us see what becomes & develops of these Splicers vampires.....
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

Premier wrote:Then let us see what becomes & develops of these Splicers vampires.....

:ok: 8-) . ill put some more thought into them
connecting the dots
Kinghawke
Explorer

Unread post by Kinghawke »

Premier wrote:

NEXUS is no slouche. Think of what calculated methods and advanced manufacturing capabilities it would take to successfully convert all metal and infect organic living structures to cause the nanobot plague and the various hostile reactions. OR what about the advanced technology NEXUS had to design to "successfully" shift tectonic plates to keep distorting continent structures. The several trillion task that are conducted simultaneously or the advanced structures, designs, etc. The very way NEXUS has somehow created its own techno necromancy with the Necroborgs and Necrobots is a feat of wicked ingenius and surely demonstrates advanced technology and a high intelligence. I think your downplaying of NEXUS to preserve humanity is the seed that you have planted without necessary cause. Humans are very resourceful and have their advantages as well and should never be downplayed. This is why Splicers is such a dreadful and challenging setting in the first place."

the Nexus is no slouch, but it also is insane. it has Multiple Conflicting Personalities. it is entirely possible that they would let the vampires Hunt the Humans for food, or possibly the nature loving/alien loving/human-vermin hating personality would protect them as it does its exotic wildlife. Letting them be would be Pest Control for the human pests.

Vampires on Rifts Earth are a problem but there are a ton of BIGGER problems on Rifts Earth, so there is no major consolidated focus on a global scheme singling out and only vampires. There is just so much stuff on Rifts Earth. There are also limited resources on Rifts Earth. Thats not the case with Splicers and NEXUS. NEXUS has the man power/numbers, and the resources to manufacture and facilitate what ever they need, a strategic collective mindset, none of the limitations that vampires have. Vampires also would not be converting NEXUS minions, so the numbers game does not fair well for vampires either. NEXUS would treat vampires like a new invasive pest, track them and exterminate and torture them and leave "some" around to study and to avoid accidental genocide of a species.

In Order To Exploit the Vampires' Weaknesses, they would need to find out what they were in the first place. Wood, Sunlight, Running Water are difficult to discover. plus, it's hard to permanently kill vampires. also: the Resistance survives by making battles Quick and leaving without being Analyzed. Vampires are Quicker. consider.
King Hawke--I don't make the world, I just live in it
Kinghawke
Explorer

Premier wrote:

NEXUS is no slouche. Think of what calculated methods and advanced manufacturing capabilities it would take to successfully convert all metal and infect organic living structures to cause the nanobot plague and the various hostile reactions. OR what about the advanced technology NEXUS had to design to "successfully" shift tectonic plates to keep distorting continent structures. The several trillion task that are conducted simultaneously or the advanced structures, designs, etc. The very way NEXUS has somehow created its own techno necromancy with the Necroborgs and Necrobots is a feat of wicked ingenius and surely demonstrates advanced technology and a high intelligence. I think your downplaying of NEXUS to preserve humanity is the seed that you have planted without necessary cause. Humans are very resourceful and have their advantages as well and should never be downplayed. This is why Splicers is such a dreadful and challenging setting in the first place."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the Nexus is no slouch, but it also is insane. it has Multiple Conflicting Personalities. it is entirely possible that they would let the vampires Hunt the Humans for food, or possibly the nature loving/alien loving/human-vermin hating personality would protect them as it does its exotic wildlife. Letting them be would be Pest Control for the human pests. --ME
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rifts has Mexico taken over by vampires. it is a huge problem there. they can't rally enough united forces to take them down. a United Front is what Rifts & the Nexus would need. neither has it. --ME
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Order To Exploit the Vampires' Weaknesses, they would need to find out what they were in the first place. Wood, Sunlight, Running Water are difficult to discover. plus, it's hard to permanently kill vampires. also: the Resistance survives by making battles Quick and leaving without being Analyzed. Vampires are Quicker. consider. --ME
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

Vampires need "Blood". Blood = Humans. Exterminate Humans and you annihilate the Vampires as a side-effect! Very in line with NEXUS strategy. Much more easy than to go killing Vampires one by one...actually, I have developed this strategy for the Coalition (RIFTS rpg) in the event that they want to go against the Vampire Kingdoms: nuke them all from submarines with long range ICBMs. You kill the Humans and the Vampires starve to death (well, they are already dead but you get the point).
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
Kinghawke
Explorer

ffranceschi wrote:Vampires need "Blood". Blood = Humans. Exterminate Humans and you annihilate the Vampires as a side-effect! Very in line with NEXUS strategy. Much more easy than to go killing Vampires one by one...actually, I have developed this strategy for the Coalition (RIFTS rpg) in the event that they want to go against the Vampire Kingdoms: nuke them all from submarines with long range ICBMs. You kill the Humans and the Vampires starve to death (well, they are already dead but you get the point).

true, but vampires aren't tied down to one place. they would migrate to the nearest food. even if they killed everyone in mexico, they would cross the Rio Grande en masse out of necessity and attack North America.
ffranceschi
Adventurer

Kinghawke wrote:
ffranceschi wrote:Vampires need "Blood". Blood = Humans. Exterminate Humans and you annihilate the Vampires as a side-effect! Very in line with NEXUS strategy. Much more easy than to go killing Vampires one by one...actually, I have developed this strategy for the Coalition (RIFTS rpg) in the event that they want to go against the Vampire Kingdoms: nuke them all from submarines with long range ICBMs. You kill the Humans and the Vampires starve to death (well, they are already dead but you get the point).

true, but vampires aren't tied down to one place. they would migrate to the nearest food. even if they killed everyone in mexico, they would cross the Rio Grande en masse out of necessity and attack North America.

Ok, but in SPLICERS, there is nowhere to go...hehehe...because you can nuke the whole damn world!!! Well, if you are NEXUS.

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
Kinghawke
Explorer

ffranceschi wrote:
Kinghawke wrote:

Ok, but in SPLICERS, there is nowhere to go...hehehe...because you can nuke the whole damn world!!! Well, if you are NEXUS.

fair point, fair point. however, you could hide on the alien reserves. one personality protects it. also, you could nuke the whole damn world. but the humans are all underground. sometimes deep underground.
ffranceschi
Adventurer

Kinghawke wrote:
ffranceschi wrote:
Kinghawke wrote:

fair point, fair point. however, you could hide on the alien reserves. one personality protects it. also, you could nuke the whole damn world. but the humans are all underground. sometimes deep underground.

Right. So the Vampires will rule the Underdark!

Premier

Unread post by Premier »

I don't think Vampires would be racing into eh under dark and finding total refuge there "if" NEXUS truly wanted to exterminate them. NEXUS has satellite weapons capable of destroying and wiping out entire retro villages. NEXUS has an array of advanced technology as well as underground technology that purposely augments tectonic plates of the planet. NEXUS has a huge harvest of metals, most likely silver as well. This much of a shake up and array of attacking enemies is overwhelming. The humans/Splicers survive only because NEXUS is truly letting them. NEXUS creating and produced the nanobot plague. If NEXUS so desired I am confident NEXUS could mass produce some new horrific anti-vampire nanobots just the same. Nanobots that deployed ultra-violet rays once vampires came into contact with them, flood underground caverns with water, uprooting underground refugees and exposing them to sunlight, etc. I think the key is that NEXUS would however most likely not care to exterminate vampires unless they viewed them as some intrusive or invasive species that was becoming a major pest or perceived vampires as a serious threat. Until that point I don't think NEXUS would go to great lengths to exterminate them. However, I am akin to think that such a new menace would warrant being observed and studied, even dissected by NEXUS to learn more about them. It is likely what NEXUS would perceive Vampires as some sort to Splicers bio-weapon or new virus outbreak that is gone awry. Seeing the new abilities of a possibly mistaken biotech would certainly attract NEXUS personality attention. But not just NEXUS, but also that of some Splicers. I have begun to shiver thinking of what some Librarians could do with Vampires to study, dissect and replicate or even modify. This is why Splicers really should be kept far... away from serious magics, psionics and others sources of major power that can really create a munchkin scenario.

Host Armors, Biotics, Packmasters or Outriders w/ Warmounts with vampiric abilities without the vampire vulnerabilities and limitations just gets nasty...

hmmmm.....
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

k, a few things.

1) UV light does squat to palladium vampires.

2) vampires are not biological organisms. they are splinters of a vampire intelligence living in the corpse of mortal beings. if you were to get a skin sample from a vampire, you would find that they have been dead for quite some time, and that the skin sample isn't really anything special. there is no DNA to exploit.

3) so far as i am aware, palladium vampires don't *die* when they don't get any blood. they just get more and more feral and berserk until they get some.

4) vampires can't just get up and go someplace else. they need the soil of their homeland. it's one of their vulnerabilities.

5) there is no PPE on the splicers world. no ley lines, no ley line nexuses, no way for the vampire intelligence to interact with the world. no chance of it ever being brought into the world. no way for it to create master vampires.
Kinghawke
Explorer

Shark_Force wrote:k, a few things.

2) vampires are not biological organisms. they are splinters of a vampire intelligence living in the corpse of mortal beings. if you were to get a skin sample from a vampire, you would find that they have been dead for quite some time, and that the skin sample isn't really anything special. there is no DNA to exploit.

3) so far as i am aware, palladium vampires don't *die* when they don't get any blood. they just get more and more feral and berserk until they get some.

4) vampires can't just get up and go someplace else. they need the soil of their homeland. it's one of their vulnerabilities.

5) there is no PPE on the splicers world. no ley lines, no ley line nexuses, no way for the vampire intelligence to interact with the world. no chance of it ever being brought into the world. no way for it to create master vampires.

there is no magical way. but that's where science and the hazards of scientists messing with things they don't understand comes in. they could contact the intelligence on accident through a dimensional portal they create. and again, how would they discover the Vampire's weaknesses?
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

Kinghawke wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:k, a few things.

there is no magical way. but that's where science and the hazards of scientists messing with things they don't understand comes in. they could contact the intelligence on accident through a dimensional portal they create. and again, how would they discover the Vampire's weaknesses?

And what scientists are you talking about exactly? there are no humans with any technology of note. even technojackers scavenge.

also, no where outside of the HU universe can "science" open a rift so far in canon.
Balabanto wrote:Well, something called The Devastator should Devastate things. 1d6x10 couldn't devastate your mother in Rifts.

amodernheathen wrote:If, in one posting, I can increase the hellish chaos of even a single planet seven-fold, then I believe that I have done my duty as a Game Master to the widows and orphans of that world. By increasing their number. Drastically.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:also, no where outside of the HU universe can "science" open a rift so far in canon.

There was a rift generator in the Lonestar complex, but they didn't/don't know what they really had. Also, Archie messed around with it, but a Shifter had to do it.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.

Return to “Splicers®”