Nymbu Staff

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Nymbu Staff

Unread post by SirSpamHammer »

I just made up a Fennodi Preacher (They're in the New West Book and D-Bee's of North America worlds books.) and they are well known for their crescent shaped staff's called Nymbu Staff's, but I cannot find the stats for them anywhere in those books.

So, I ask here?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Nymbu Staff

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Did you try the spirit west book?

There are things that only 'just get mentioned' w/o being stat'ed out. Maybe it was left out so GMs could 'fill in the blank' themselves..or it might of be cut due to space issues.

IF it is just a mundane then are three different damage depending on the length, Short: 1d6 SD, Long: 2d4 SD, or bo: 2d6 SD.
IF it is a magic focus, as per magic proficiencies in the rifters, then it raises the casting level by 1 when it is used, and casting level is lowered but one w/o it.
IF it is a Holy Symbol then that is what it is. ( <---This is the most probable)
IF it is suppose to act as a magic wand then there is a Rifter article about that.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

So, I asked my Game master about it and they told me I could choose what ether mundane damage it does because it didn't matter to them.

I chose Bo-Staff or Quarterstaff because it did the most damage.

Personally, I like the idea of Holy symbol, since my Fennodi is a Preacher, but I'm unsure how that may work in game terms.

I will try looking in Spirit West again and the Rifters.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Since the Preacher ain't a spellcasting Priest I'd say the benefit to be had's not in game mechanics. I could see making the staff a minor magical item with a minor fetish ability from Spirit West. Prowl, Luck, or Sure-footed seem like they would fit a Fennodi well.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Just in case there is an information gap...

short: 4-6 ft long
long: 7-9 ft long
bo: 9.5 ft long

ceilings today are 8 ft high....past ave healing hight was closer to 6 ft high
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

You know, I'm kind of disappointed that my Game master decided to just make it a Mundane item. Basically, it's my wooden quarter-staff with a fancy name.

In case your interested to know, I found out that people have been modding the Nymbu staff on the Savage Rifts, but it's only according to Savage Worlds. So, I registered a account and was going to ask them if they would care to give me a rules translation, but the thread where they posted on it has since closed.

Quoting from their forum.....

(quote)"This unique version of the Fennodi weapon was designed specifically for use by Nomel Sagia by one of the Techno-Wizards at Castle Refuge, who was intrigued by his exceptional ability to integrate himself with his Glitterboy.

Pender: Treating it as an Edge (say, one that was based on Telemechanics) makes sense and is fine. However, normally, having a Power activate with a non-Arcane Skill check doesn't raise the PP cost of the Power, just the price of the item (and thus, the cost to repair); that said, making that a requirement (so that I'm not using the Arcane Skill itself through the suit) makes sense, too. So with that (and pricing the Unique Mod as an Edge, but one rank higher than Telemechanics, which makes sense), the amended and detailed version:

Base Item: Impact Maul
Damage: Str+1d8+1d6 MD, Raise Damage +d10; The Staff may be used to deal non-lethal damage at no penalty, Parry -1
TW Mods
Minor (x2): +2 Fighting
Major (Unique Mod, approved by GM): The Staff has been designed to accommodate Nomel's Telemechanics ability--when in the Glitterboy, he can use that to become sufficiently integrated with the suit to then charge the weapon. As always, this means he must use the telepathy Power to activate Telemechanics first. This adds one ISP to the cost of charging the Staff.
Major: Get Their Attention (stun Power; Trapping: Aiming the staff at a point within range, at which point a thunderous boom covers the MBT, affecting all targets within, activated with a Fighting roll)
Major: Sweep
Major: Improved Sweep
Total ISP Cost to charge: 1 base, +2 for Edges, +1 for Unique Mod = 4 ISP
Value (used for determining repairs): 267,600 Cr."(/quote)

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”