Board index » Palladium Books® Multimedia » Rifts® Movie

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:04 pm

Explorer

It would either need a billion dollar budget or be animated like Beowulf was. It would just have too huge a scope to fit into a special effects budget otherwise. Think of how much money it wuld cost to make a samas flyng through a leyline while being shot at by a glitter boy while still looking realistic and not like cheap sci-fi TV movie.

Just my $.04(damn recession)

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:15 am

D-Bee

I have seen some realy good Anime including Apple seed

Now if there was going to be a movie it would have to be along those lines a complete series.

Don't get me wrong Jerry can do wonders but you would have to have a history off what happened because only gamers and geeks have any Idea of what Rifts is.

It is a huge world with plenty of stories and back ground, I really hope the movie is going to be good if not better than what I am hoping for.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:37 am

D-Bee

I'm not sure a single movie would necessarily be able to capture all that is rifts on one shot. But insofar as the ideas for little 2-hour spurts of amazing storytelling...endless, really.

Proud Member, April 18th, Palladium Vanguard.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:00 am

Knight

i thionk animated like the movies heavymetal might work

The wisdom of Man is foolishness to God and the Wisdom of God is foolishness to Man

We are Jason Richards. Lower your boffer weaponry & defensive devices. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. We will add your role-playing expertise to our own. Your gaming systems will adapt to our own.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:55 pm

Knight

Location: Throne Room, Mephisto's Palace, 1 Mephisto Way, Dyval 736282. Now visiting Prince Albert, SK.
duck-foot wrote:
i thionk animated like the movies heavymetal might work

Heavy Metal wasn't a very good movie...

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:00 am

Dungeon Crawler

For a Rifts movie to work, they gotta actually work on it. And the writers have to acctually read teh freaking main book.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:57 am

Dungeon Crawler

Comment: I know I am going to hell, thats why I bought marshmellows.
Please please don't start anywhere close to SoT!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:30 pm

Dungeon Crawler

I dont think it would be to hard for CG. I mean yes, it would be a CG heavy movie however it is all about the scope of how/what they wanted to show. I mean look at star wars, before the new ones, the star wars universe still conveyed a sense of massiveness and still exploited tons of different life and settings and this was way before we had cg. Now look at Lord of the Rings, Transformers,I am Legend. These movies transformed New Zealand into Middle Earth, Chevy's into Robots, and New York into an abandoned infected zone. My main worry is them showing TO much cg and getting slack in other departments. I would hope they still try to make most of the explosions realistic, utilize stuntmen, and physical props; becuase nothing is quiet as realistic as physical action. My main worry about Rifts is a proper compelling storyline, getting good actors, and turning a roleplaying game into a successful film.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:50 pm

Adventurer

Comment: (Lt.Robert Walsh,Commanding Officer of Connaught Platoon,26th Royal Tyran Infantry,COG Operating Base Anvil Gate)
Has anyone seem the Sideshow/Weta short movie done for Halo? The ODST armor was all custom made and yes it was very nice but a huge budget really wasnt needed. Granted the short film was 12 min. but .... :bandit:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:48 am

Priest

Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay
Injundon wrote:
It would either need a billion dollar budget or be animated like Beowulf was. It would just have too huge a scope to fit into a special effects budget otherwise.

You could say the same thing about a movie set on Earth, if you want to assume that the film-makers are going to try to include everything on the planet.

This is why they generally narrow the scope of films to just one story, which only includes certain of the near infinite elements from the planet that the story is set on.

Get a good writer in there, and they could make a kickass film with nothing fancier than a few suits of Plastic Man and some Wilk's pistols.

It's not about trying to cram in everything in the main book, just for the eye-candy.
Or, at least, it shouldn't be

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:12 pm

D-Bee

I was a huge fan of the novels, each one could be its own movie. Its truly a shame about the misprinting of the first book, but it was very much worth it to get through. Its been a few years since I've read them, but I recall them explaining the world of rifts in an approachable way, and touched on a wide variety of classes and settings.

Send all the novels, hopefully there's a fixed version of the first, and source books for everything they talk about = movie(s) I'd love to see.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:40 pm

D-Bee

retnuh wrote:
I was a huge fan of the novels, each one could be its own movie. Its truly a shame about the misprinting of the first book, but it was very much worth it to get through. Its been a few years since I've read them, but I recall them explaining the world of rifts in an approachable way, and touched on a wide variety of classes and settings.

Send all the novels, hopefully there's a fixed version of the first, and source books for everything they talk about = movie(s) I'd love to see.

I agree.. I think they should use a story with existing developed characters that the books offer. And the story line is already created for them, showing many aspects of the RIFTS world and the many types of people in it. It also goes into a deeper story (which would attract audiences) about how the mighty Coalition S&D unit can learn to live with/work with dimensional beings.

I also think RIFTS would make a good TV series too. Much like Stargate did. Lay down the base story line in a movie, and continue the adventures for years to come :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:31 pm

Palladin

romanwarrior wrote:
retnuh wrote:

I agree.. I think they should use a story with existing developed characters that the books offer. And the story line is already created for them, showing many aspects of the RIFTS world and the many types of people in it. It also goes into a deeper story (which would attract audiences) about how the mighty Coalition S&D unit can learn to live with/work with dimensional beings.

I also think RIFTS would make a good TV series too. Much like Stargate did. Lay down the base story line in a movie, and continue the adventures for years to come :D

A TV series, that I would not mind seeing.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:02 pm

Adventurer

Comment: (Lt.Robert Walsh,Commanding Officer of Connaught Platoon,26th Royal Tyran Infantry,COG Operating Base Anvil Gate)
Karsus wrote:
Please please don't start anywhere close to SoT!!!!!

WOW! :eek: I completly disagree with you. I think its where the movie should start. A band of brothers type movie,with combat being the background. cs point of view or tolkeen doesnt matter but bring the viewer right into the action. I have been debating with my friends about how much time the movie has to hook people. we agree...not long.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:03 pm

Dungeon Crawler

I would love to see a script following Erin Tarn and some of her adventures. Honestly, I think she's the key to introducing people to Rifts, after all, she's the one who introduced all of us to that world.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:43 pm

Explorer

Comment: Friendly Fire™
"Combat With a Smile"
A Ensite Para-Military Corperation
amodernheathen wrote:
I would love to see a script following Erin Tarn and some of her adventures. Honestly, I think she's the key to introducing people to Rifts, after all, she's the one who introduced all of us to that world.

Mabey a Erin tarn narratior??
interducing us to the world of Rift's as we watch the comming of the rift's. think that would be cool. a GB shot rings out, news feeds of hostility, then planets aligning then missiles firing a experiments going off then BOOM. as erin tar describes it get a visual, pull out to the planet and watch the leylines and nexus form. then start right at day 1.... take a group of 5 people trying to survive the wilderness sloley interduce the CS and tolkeen but stay to the vast wilderness of rift's High tech but no cilivalation type of atmophere. sorta liek a mad max beyond thunder dome or water world type movie

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and im not shure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Unread postPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:19 pm

Palladin

thedrunk wrote:
amodernheathen wrote:

Mabey a Erin tarn narratior??
interducing us to the world of Rift's as we watch the comming of the rift's. think that would be cool. a GB shot rings out, news feeds of hostility, then planets aligning then missiles firing a experiments going off then BOOM. as erin tar describes it get a visual, pull out to the planet and watch the leylines and nexus form. then start right at day 1.... take a group of 5 people trying to survive the wilderness sloley interduce the CS and tolkeen but stay to the vast wilderness of rift's High tech but no cilivalation type of atmophere. sorta liek a mad max beyond thunder dome or water world type movie

I would not mind at all the introduction. In fact I think that is the only way to go so most people wouldn't be to lost. The last part I would not mind, or something similur.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:11 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Comment: Egypt, the origin of magic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAxLR2_wSsc
duck-foot wrote:
i think animated like the movies heavymetal might work

Ya heavy metal is the best cartoon ever made. Kick ass guitar music ***** and fantasy, what else could you ask for in a cartoon. Making it a cartoon would be cool cause its cheap and easy to do anything with. Making it an actual movie would be cool with a big budget like star wars, any small budget would make it cheeseball. Then you would need to have a whole warehouse full of cool looking puppets. Dont use todays computer animation unless you would make the whole thing a cartoon.
Anyways either cartoon or low budget cheeseball sounds most realistic, but a big budget film would be so cool.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:19 am

D-Bee

Comment: Never underestimate a player who likes options.
If RIFTS were to be animated, it would have to be in the style of Japanese anime in order to have the same gritty look and feel of the books.

Anything else would be far too silly and childish.

Rogue Scholar, speaking over the grave of a black marketeer: "In the Great House and in the House of Fire, on that Great Day when all the days and years are numbered, oh let my name be given back to me."
Juicer, having killed said black marketeer: Oh %@$# this! His name is Dirtnap! Can we go now?!