Board index » Palladium Books® Multimedia » Rifts® Movie

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:45 pm

Wanderer

Comment: I will make everything METAL!!!
Is this just a deal to possibly make a movie or are they actually going to make it? Has is just been placed on a backburner somewhere to be forgotten?

God can you imagine a Rifts movie! How wicked would that be, then I could laugh at all my friends who thought I was a dork for liking a role playing game lol.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:31 am

Adventurer

Kenpachi wrote:
Is this just a deal to possibly make a movie or are they actually going to make it? Has is just been placed on a backburner somewhere to be forgotten?

God can you imagine a Rifts movie! How wicked would that be, then I could laugh at all my friends who thought I was a dork for liking a role playing game lol.

They have a writer working on the script, thats all anyone knows right now. Once they have a script they can greenlight the project until then we just need patience ...

Oh what A tangled web we weave ...

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:25 pm

Champion

Not to mention that the rights were optioned once, and when the expiration date came up it was optioned again. That means, to me at least, they really want to follow through with it. They just need a script and to make room for it in Jerry Bruckheimer Studio's busy busy busy schedule. His studio crunches multiple projects at the same time, so they might need to wait for one to finish up before starting this, even once they have a script.

"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:14 am

Adventurer

I'd be more excited over a Nightbane movie... how many years are you going to wait on a script for?

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:02 am

Adventurer

Specter wrote:
I'd be more excited over a Nightbane movie... how many years are you going to wait on a script for?

Probably as many years as it takes, as long as Mr. Bruckheimer is still interested, and the checks keep clearing the bank and there isn't another big name movie producer kicking down the door.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:11 am

Champion

Specter wrote:

I'd imagine if someone approached the company wanting to option the rights to Nightbane, they'd do it. It may be less of a possibility since Hellboy 2 is floundering. If Hellboy 2 hit big numbers it would've shown that audiences want those types of movies and hollywood would be pounding down doors of companies that have stuff to option, like Nightbane.

"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:25 am

Adventurer

HB2 is floundering? Damn... that movie was really good.

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:57 am

Champion

That's the impression I got from interviews. It's been out what, 4 weeks? If I remember what I read somewhere right, first three weekends only totaled out to be like $66 million. That's bad for a CGI action flick.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:51 am

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.
LostOne wrote:
That's the impression I got from interviews. It's been out what, 4 weeks? If I remember what I read somewhere right, first three weekends only totaled out to be like $66 million. That's bad for a CGI action flick.

I would imagine part of that is Batman stealing the show, but only in part. I know if I had the money, I would have gone and seen HB2. :-?

As far as Bruckheimer's enthusiasm about the Rifts project, I can say that from the language I have heard third-hand, his studio definitely considers Rifts to have major movie potential. :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:02 pm

Wanderer

CGI would be one way to do it I suppose, but I'd prefer to have actors we all know and love/loathe, because I think Rifts outshines Hollywood scripts most of the time. I'd trust Jerry to do it written/performed/directed right, so it ought to work. Just try and cover some of the OCC's, CS, have a great plot/story, and badda bing, badda boom.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:25 am

Voice of the Gateway

Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
From what I know, the writer is busy working on it and actually thinks he may have the script done relatively soon. Why not email him and show your support and ask him yourself?

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:13 pm

Hero

Prince Artemis wrote:
From what I know, the writer is busy working on it and actually thinks he may have the script done relatively soon. Why not email him and show your support and ask him yourself?

give us the email :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:59 am

Adventurer

dragon_blaze_99 wrote:
Prince Artemis wrote:

give us the email :D

Thats probably a really really bad idea. He doesn't need to be deluged with emails from Palladium fans while he's working. Its nice that your enthusiasm is bubbling over but this would be a distraction

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:03 am

D-Bee

I put a post in the movie talk thread about this before i noticed this one so I will copy it here for all to see.

Apparently the people over at icv2 spoke with Kevin at GenCon. Apparently Kevin mentioned that a new draft is being written and a decision to go ahead or not will be made soon. Too bad it wasn't mentioned in the GenCon murmers as it would have been nice to hear.

Relevant Links:

http://www.icv2.com/index.php

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/13176.html

:D

So there you go, the latest word as of GenCon.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:10 pm

Wanderer

I've been waiting since this was announced and I still really hope that something comes of it. This has a lot of potential to do well and if its received well in the theaters then it could possibly introduce more players into the game and sell more books.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:11 pm

Specter wrote:
I'd be more excited over a Nightbane movie...

I wonder what that might look like... :P :D

"I respect you. And unlike love, respect can't be bought" - Homer Simpson.

Post subject: Rifts the Movie
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:16 am

D-Bee

I realy enjoy Rifts as it is an intelligent game that offers unlimited potential.

I realy hope the movie does it justice, I feel the movie should be a dark place where the characters are flaw in some way and most are anti hero's.

They may be good guys but they have to do questionable things to survive, or it could be all from the coalition side of things where they are grunts in the Burbs doing what they can to defend humanity.

Sorry guys I am a coalition supporter through and through.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:08 am

Wanderer

Slag wrote:
[Fickt nicht mit der Raketemensch!

your sig...
should read "fickt nicht mit dem Raketenmenschen" - just wanted to let you know ;-)
And I think it doesn´t translate to what you mean it to say..

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:06 pm

Hero

Comment: Fortune favors the bold.
Kenpachi wrote:

Right :rolleyes: because when D&D came out, all of their players stood up and were like, "In your face!"

No. We are still dorks. But we love it.

MaxxSterling wrote:
Lucky is my hero. The end.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:52 am

D-Bee

Don't get too excited about a Rifts movie. It will be as commercial as anything that comes out of Hollywood:

I got this reply a year ago when I petitioned to do a fan film:

Quote:
So you want to be a film maker, that's great, but you had better hold off on anything that deals or even touches the Rifts world. Jerry Bruckhiemer and Walt Disney have an exclusive option on Rifts and even though you might create something for fun, Fun could turn out to be very expensive if the wrong eye's see your product. Keep intouch, and we will know in a couple of years if the option and or movies fails to be renewed or created.
Seriously though, Hold off on anthing from Palladium's Rifts.

Thank you though for your obvious support and enthusiasm for our products.

sincerely,

Tony Falzon
sales liaison, Palladium Books

I understand that Palladium doesn't have the rights to the movie (since they've been leased)--but shooting your fanbase probably isn't the best way to publicize it.

http://www.airsoftica.com
http://www.riftshighway.com

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:47 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

riftshighway wrote:

Contact Bruckheimer's people. Not just by email. Make sure to send a letter asking permission and explain your project in detail. Most rights holders have no problem with YouTube fan films.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:01 am

D-Bee

Good tip, but sounds like alot of work. It'll be easier to call the movie "Lifts".

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:24 am

Wanderer

riftshighway wrote:
Don't get too excited about a Rifts movie. It will be as commercial as anything that comes out of Hollywood:

Quote:
So you want to be a film maker, that's great, but you had better hold off on anything that deals or even touches the Rifts world. Jerry Bruckhiemer and Walt Disney have an exclusive option on Rifts and even though you might create something for fun, Fun could turn out to be very expensive if the wrong eye's see your product. Keep intouch, and we will know in a couple of years if the option and or movies fails to be renewed or created.

sincerely,

Tony Falzon

I understand that Palladium doesn't have the rights to the movie (since they've been leased)--but shooting your fanbase probably isn't the best way to publicize it.

Someone shot you when you petitioned to make a Rifts fan film? :eek:

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:30 am

Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.
riftshighway wrote:

Quote:

sincerely,

Tony Falzon

He was warning you so you wouldn't get sued by Disney or Bruckheimer (even if such a thing would be unlikely).

How is that shooting the fanbase?

~ Josh

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:05 pm

D-Bee

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
He was warning you so you wouldn't get sued by Disney or Bruckheimer (even if such a thing would be unlikely).

~ Josh

I can appreciate where he's coming from--steering me away from a financial tangle is really quite noble, but I see an underlying problem with this situation.

When George Lucas developed Star Wars, in addition to merchandising he kept a number of the intellectual rights to the franchise which freely used to encourage spoofs, parodys, and fan films. E.g. youtube 'Star Wars fan film'. It's a great marketing tool whereby many people can hear about the game.

I'm not sure about the details, but if PB signed away the fans' rights to do fan films, they lost a potential tool. Amidst all of the negotiations that PB spoke about when first announcing the movie deal I was really hoping a clause like Lucas' would make it in.

That's why I mention 'shooting the fanbase'. A bit harsh, but then again I feel a bit betrayed :P

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:59 pm

Adventurer

riftshighway wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:

~ Josh

I can appreciate where he's coming from--steering me away from a financial tangle is really quite noble, but I see an underlying problem with this situation.

When George Lucas developed Star Wars, in addition to merchandising he kept a number of the intellectual rights to the franchise which freely used to encourage spoofs, parodys, and fan films. E.g. youtube 'Star Wars fan film'. It's a great marketing tool whereby many people can hear about the game.

I'm not sure about the details, but if PB signed away the fans' rights to do fan films, they lost a potential tool. Amidst all of the negotiations that PB spoke about when first announcing the movie deal I was really hoping a clause like Lucas' would make it in.

That's why I mention 'shooting the fanbase'. A bit harsh, but then again I feel a bit betrayed :P

Unfortunately Palladium is not George Lucas and does not have that kind of clout in Hollywood. The only reason Lucas was able to keep any of those rights is he produced the movie himself and just and just had a studio distribute it.

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:27 am

D-Bee

Maryann--your triteness is never-failing :wink: