Board index » Palladium Books® Multimedia » Rifts® Movie

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:39 pm

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!
any links to these interviews?

Ninjabunny wrote:
You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote:
The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:
Because DINOSAURS.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:04 pm

D-Bee

probably the longest single evidence of Vin's gamerness (is that a word?) was from an article in GQ magazine from a few years back. He talked at length about playing DnD when he was younger, and about how he admired the creativity of the guys he played with. He also related the story of how a kid recognized him when he went into a gaming store to purchase some gaming supplies for "Research" purposes.

If I can find the article and issue number I'll post them here.
He would be cool in the Rifts movie, but I wouldn't count on it.

Freddy Prinze Jr and Matthew Lillard are also big-time gamers, as are Jack Black and Seth Green.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:19 pm

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.
thud wrote:
Freddy Prinze Jr and Matthew Lillard are also big-time gamers, as are Jack Black and Seth Green.

That would make for one interesting adventuring group... Someone should attempt to get a few of them together for a celebrity gaming event! Maybe Origins or GenCon next year? I could at least see Black and Green getting in on it if they could fit it into the schedule.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Toby McGuire (sp?) was a closet gamer. I know he's a big Star Wars fan and often (i.e. not always) the two coincide. He just seems to fit the psych profile of a typical gamer of that age.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:29 pm

Vin Diesel wrote the foreword for Thirty Years of Adventure : A Celebration of Dungeons & Dragons.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:18 am

Explorer

Comment: I am a perfectionist who is good at nothing. You can imagine my frustration.
Vin was also on Conan Obrian talking about the forward he wrote and his favorite D&D character

"Open your eyes, I'm gonna horrify you into a comma!"--Master Shake

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:05 am

Dungeon Crawler

Heck, the character's name was a tattoo on his chest in the movie XXX, I think. I know it was in one of his movies...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:33 pm

Adventurer

Quote:
Freddy Prinze Jr and Matthew Lillard are also big-time gamers

Kay I don't really care for Freddy, too prissy, but is Matthew Lillard the guy that played Shaggy in the movies? Cause if so, he's one of my all time favriote low key actors

Never underestimate someone as insane as I am

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it

"Come Filthy Assistants!!"- Spider Jerusalem

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:57 pm

D-Bee

yeah, the tat was in Triple X, across his abdomen. Matthew Lillard did play Shaggy, and it was on G4 or Tech TV that I saw him talking about his PC, but I can't remember what the actual show was. I do remember thinking that the character leveled AWFULLY slowly. I'll see if I can find out what show it was on. Ta

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:42 pm

D-Bee

back again, just FYI
Matt Lillard's commetns on gaming were in an interview with Martin Sargent (before he got his own show) on a show called The Screensavers, on Tech TV (back when it was cool)
Among other things, he said that he had been playing a regular DnD game for 12 years, and was 7th level. (Glad I don't have his GM!)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:18 pm

D-Bee

Is there any updates about the movie. Besides talking about actors playing d&d and being gamers. What's going on with the MOVIE?[/b]

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:35 pm

D-Bee

What's going on with the movie is probably the same thing that was going on last week, and the week before that, and the week before that...
Siembieda and Co. are locked down under anti-trust contracts that could choke a Fury Beetle.
THere's no telling how long the whole affair may take, but to quote Kevin S. from a conversation I had with him at GenCon last year, regarding Franzoni's script:
Me: "So someone is actually writing a script?"
Kevin S. "THey paid him $4 million dollars to write it; he better be working on it..."

We can only wait and hope. Perhaps GenCon '05 will reveal more...

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:50 pm

D-Bee

Rathbun3114 wrote:
Is there any updates about the movie. Besides talking about actors playing d&d and being gamers. What's going on with the MOVIE?[/b]

Jerry Bruckheimer's schedule,

1. The Amazing Race 8th season {Status?...Filming}

2. Close to Home / tv series {Status?...Filming}

3. E-Ring / tv series / {Status?...Completed}

4. Modern Men / tv series {Status?...Pre-Production}

5. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest / movie due out 2006 {Status?...Filming}

6. Deja Vu / movie due out 2006 {Status?...In Production}

7. G-Force / movie due out 2006 {Status?...In Production}

8. Glory Road / movie due out 2006 {Status?...Post Production}

9. National Treasure 2 / movie due out 2007 {Status?...In development}

10. Pirates of the Caribbean 3 / movie due out 2007 {Status?...Filming}

Seems to be a busy dude for a couple years yet. I'm not saying he won't do it, i'm saying be extremely patient and keep your ears to the ground.

On a side note This whole Vin Diesel as Hannibal movie thing should be in production, seems Mr. Franzoni is in the clear to write our script.

Carnegier Ragnor, sojourning Battle Magus

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:58 pm

Palladium Books® Super Fan

thud wrote:
What's going on with the movie is probably the same thing that was going on last week, and the week before that, and the week before that...
Siembieda and Co. are locked down under anti-trust contracts that could choke a Fury Beetle.
THere's no telling how long the whole affair may take, but to quote Kevin S. from a conversation I had with him at GenCon last year, regarding Franzoni's script:
Kevin S. "THey paid him $4 million dollars to write it; he better be working on it..."

This is realtively consistent with the conversation I had with KS at GenCon this Thursday (there are some differences, but they're not pertinent to the fact of the movie being in production). He and I talked about the movie and it's still being worked on, Bruckheimer is still excited about this, and everything is moving forward. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to talk about what he said or not, and I don't want to cause snags or get things in trouble, but the movie is moving forward and Franzoni's still on it.

Hopefully there'll either be someone that can tell the whole story of what I know. There's a tiny update that I have, but beyond that, everything is as it was before.

/Sub

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:11 am

Adventurer

Subjugator wrote:
thud wrote:

This is realtively consistent with the conversation I had with KS at GenCon this Thursday (there are some differences, but they're not pertinent to the fact of the movie being in production). He and I talked about the movie and it's still being worked on, Bruckheimer is still excited about this, and everything is moving forward. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to talk about what he said or not, and I don't want to cause snags or get things in trouble, but the movie is moving forward and Franzoni's still on it.

Hopefully there'll either be someone that can tell the whole story of what I know. There's a tiny update that I have, but beyond that, everything is as it was before.

/Sub

I would think that anything that Kevin said, he was allowed to say.

Post subject: I guess you're right...
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:07 pm

WorldofRifts wrote:
Subjugator wrote:

/Sub

I would think that anything that Kevin said, he was allowed to say.

Well, per this last week, Franzoni's getting 1.5 mil to write the script and he's doing either a second one or a rewrite right now. What that tells me is that Bruckheimer is interested in this enough to pay serious cash for the movie and that he's willing to wait for it to be done well.

I started reading up on Bruckheimer - that dude is a freaking powerhouse.

Bartleby

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:43 pm

D-Bee

*twitches* ARG GET DONE ALREADY... I've been foaming at the mouth for the movie for 3 years >.<!!!

NATO is like "take your daughter to work day"

Post subject: RE: ALL RIGHT
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:41 pm

D-Bee

ALL RIGHT now i can't wait till that movie comes so i can show how much of a RIFTS fan i really am. Thanks guts. :shock: :D :D :D :D 8)

Post subject: Lookie what i found.
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:38 am

D-Bee

WB Message Boards

Jerry Bruckheimer speaks... I guess he does read the boards there after all, go figure.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:46 pm

Adventurer

I wonder how much free stuff the writer got from Palladium

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:32 pm

Explorer

lots and lots, all in the name of research of course...lol

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:34 am

Adventurer

Comment: Dark Lord Evisceratix O'Kittensquisher
WorldofRifts wrote:
I'll guess not much. Palladium isn't made out of money.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:04 pm

Wanderer

Comment: The Dark General of the Apocalypse and the right hand man to the Horseman of Death
I think one of every Rifts book would not cost them too much. Just for the price of research.

If you smell who the rat is cooking.

Super or otherwise, you are just a man, while I am a God!
-Darkseid

That was fairly ruthless father. I hope I made you proud.
-Aqualad

Always better to crash the mode
-Impulse

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:58 pm

Adventurer

ash_wednesday wrote:
WorldofRifts wrote:
I'll guess not much. Palladium isn't made out of money.

Who knows, they may have given him 'soft' copys of their work. I'd imagine they would have a few on tap so they edit them readily before sending them off to the printers.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:28 am

D-Bee

Ridley Scott is my favorite director and think that he would do a great job, but everyone has their bad days.

Jack: "I was born ready."

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:57 am

Champion

DZestmen wrote:
Ridley Scott is my favorite director and think that he would do a great job, but everyone has their bad days.

I don't think Ridley Scott was very happy with the script to Gladiator which Franzoni wrote. There were very many rewrites and it wasn't long enough from what I've heard.

Post subject: Re: Lookie what i found.
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:12 am

Champion

Location: Houstown on weekends, in my Super Samas on weekdays
Battle Magus wrote:
WB Message Boards

Jerry Bruckheimer speaks... I guess he does read the boards there after all, go figure.

Still looks promising 8)

Magic and the acceptance of the monstrous, alien, and inhuman is the poison that eats away at our people.

WE ARE HUMAN! WE ARE THE PEOPLE OF EARTH! THIS IS OUR WORLD! OURS ALONE!"

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:54 pm

D-Bee

While doing my typical time blowing and stress relieving web research for leads on the movie i stumbled across something terrifying. A Bruckheimer movie to be distributed by Disney (Filling two of three requirements for the rifts movie) titled...

Red World

Synopsis:

A man flees from the future to the present with the use of a time portal that was under construction. The man then figures out the completion of the portal will make invasion a possibility.

...At first i fully believed this was going to be the rifts movie. Ask yourself at this point, "How could one do a cheap version of the Rifts world without worrying about potentially controversial issues and the possibility of alienating the wider audience (Not us fans)? By pulling a transfer of the main character to a cheaper and cgi free environment?" well by transporting them to the present via a time portal. {Shudder} I mean i could see visions of a Terminator beginning, with the disembodied voice for 5 minutes setting the scene as CGI warriors gave us all we thought the whole movie was to be, then getting the equivalent of Michael Biehn naked in an alley...

Thankfully after a short break wherein i did a lot of swearing and pacing. I refused to accept that this travesty was the right one. I was correct and found that the script was in fact bought by Bruckheimer from a UCLA student and was subjected to insane rewrites by nobody with the name of Franzoni. So this is not to be our movie.

But in my terror state i asked some questions...like just what will they take a pass on to make it 'friendly' to the common movie goer?

Is a juicer, properly explained as a drug enhanced warrior that will die in 3-5 years from burn out acceptable for 13 year olds? I mean in a movie you aren't dealing with just us fans you have parents that will take exception to 'glorifying' drug use. For me, i want a Juicer...i want a Titan Juicer tossing jeeps around and laughing while he does so.

How hard would it be to just punk out and do a movie set in the burbs revolving around 4-5 City Rats coming of age and acting out against the man(Coalition)?

So in closing i was relieved but i'm still a little concerned until i see something concrete. But i still have faith.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:47 pm

Palladin

Any news on how far along the script is?

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:17 am

Wanderer

Battle Magus wrote:
While doing my typical time blowing and stress relieving web research for leads on the movie i stumbled across something terrifying. A Bruckheimer movie to be distributed by Disney (Filling two of three requirements for the rifts movie) titled...

Red World

Synopsis:

A man flees from the future to the present with the use of a time portal that was under construction. The man then figures out the completion of the portal will make invasion a possibility.

...At first i fully believed this was going to be the rifts movie. Ask yourself at this point, "How could one do a cheap version of the Rifts world without worrying about potentially controversial issues and the possibility of alienating the wider audience (Not us fans)? By pulling a transfer of the main character to a cheaper and cgi free environment?" well by transporting them to the present via a time portal. {Shudder} I mean i could see visions of a Terminator beginning, with the disembodied voice for 5 minutes setting the scene as CGI warriors gave us all we thought the whole movie was to be, then getting the equivalent of Michael Biehn naked in an alley...

Thankfully after a short break wherein i did a lot of swearing and pacing. I refused to accept that this travesty was the right one. I was correct and found that the script was in fact bought by Bruckheimer from a UCLA student and was subjected to insane rewrites by nobody with the name of Franzoni. So this is not to be our movie.

But in my terror state i asked some questions...like just what will they take a pass on to make it 'friendly' to the common movie goer?

Is a juicer, properly explained as a drug enhanced warrior that will die in 3-5 years from burn out acceptable for 13 year olds? I mean in a movie you aren't dealing with just us fans you have parents that will take exception to 'glorifying' drug use. For me, i want a Juicer...i want a Titan Juicer tossing jeeps around and laughing while he does so.

How hard would it be to just punk out and do a movie set in the burbs revolving around 4-5 City Rats coming of age and acting out against the man(Coalition)?

So in closing i was relieved but i'm still a little concerned until i see something concrete. But i still have faith.

you want a juicer,and not glorify drug use?half way through the movie,after a couple of good jeep tosses,he burns out...badly.you get to see action,and mom can say,"drugs are bad!"

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:45 pm

really? :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:29 pm

D-Bee

That's what I'm worried about too. I don't think that they can get a really decent Rifts movie without making it rated R. I have to say I hope that it's rated high so we can see some of the really cool stuff that is described in the books.

You know, people getting hit by a boom gun, vampire attacks, all that good stuff.

Anyone who says "all is fair in love and war" has never been in either

OF COURSE I DID IT IN COLD BLOOD, I'M A REPTILE YOU IDIOT!!!!

Every word in your book has already been published, ever try reading, THE DICTIONARY!?!?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:11 am

D-Bee

Yeah.. the rifts movie HAS to be a high rated movie if not I agree there would be a lot of cool effects and scenes you would not be able to show.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:29 am

I can tell you right now it has squat to do with visuals. A perfect example is King Arthur. One of Jerry's recent big movies.

They croped or cut so much from the theatrical release that it was almost like watching a new movie when watching the director's cut that had all the blood and guts included in it.

It's an example of what happens when you have a poor script and often poor visuals and you try to make it up with blood and guts.

Compare that to Gladiator which had a lot less blood then King Arthur but the visuals and story made up for it ten fold.

So just because you don't have a ton of guts hanging out of a person after they were struck by 200 flechette rounds from a Glitter Boy it doesn't mean it's suddenly a hit film. The reverse is also true.

You have to find a common ground for people to take in the sights and sounds as well as easily make sense of the conversations going on. A perfect example of where this was pulled off well was Aliens.

To live up to our dreams Jerry will have to release a movie on par with Aliens. I simply don't see that happening with the current brand of directors that tend to direct these so called blockbusters. When then happily flop. Now you take someone like Joss Whedon who masterfully directed Serenity with some of the most eye poping, yet strikingly simple, visuals (remember the end of the film when it's raining and the camera is very close several objects and you see the water droplets forming on them and it's suddenly moving and the camera follows it and then pans out into a wide shot? That's so simple yet I can name only two directors that matched that and that's James Cameron and Steven Spielberg).

Post subject: the real idea
Unread postPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:08 pm

Adventurer

Comment: "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79
"Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81
"Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
I'm going to give you the real suggestion, the real winning idea for a Rifts movie, I swear this'll be done just perfect, you know it has to....Just get Genny Tartokovsky (sp?) from the Star Wars Clone Wars animated to do it, ohh dude now THAT is awesome!

Post subject: Re: the real idea
Unread postPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:31 pm

D-Bee

zerombr wrote:
I'm going to give you the real suggestion, the real winning idea for a Rifts movie, I swear this'll be done just perfect, you know it has to....Just get Genny Tartokovsky (sp?) from the Star Wars Clone Wars animated to do it, ohh dude now THAT is awesome!

Sorry, but I'd rather not see a Power Puff Line Walker or Samurai Jack-esque Juicer. Gennedy's work is spectacular for what it is - I greatly enjoyed the Clone Wars series - but I do not feel that his art style would do any kind of justice to the sort of world we're talking about.

Really - who's going to take a Dead Boy that looks like a paper cutout seriously?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:36 pm

Adventurer

Comment: "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79
"Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81
"Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
the only concern I have about it myself is being compared too closely to the Star Wars episodes, with the clones and Coalition and all, not that they're really too close together

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:55 pm

D-Bee

I'm also really worried about the rifts movie turning into a Star Wars rip off movie. The First Three Star Wars movies were epic stories. Rifts should not be an epic movie. Rifts lends itself to a more down to earth and gritty movie style with a grackle tooth smokin' a cigar taking pot shots at coalition soldiers and bar fights between vangaurd brawlers and Greot hunters. It should definately be in an epic context like a war, but closely follow a group of adventurers like how someone would run a game. The script has got to be good though, it's really difficult to make a good sci-fi script. Anyways, I'm starting to ramble.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:14 pm

D-Bee

Whats everyone's thoughts on a Rifts movie done by CG like Appleseed movie that came out last year?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:20 pm

Palladin

Dratoul_Girant wrote:
Whats everyone's thoughts on a Rifts movie done by CG like Appleseed movie that came out last year?

I think we are all getting to the point were we will all take just about anything.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:20 am

D-Bee

will there even be a movie!?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:41 pm

Palladin

masterhth02003 wrote:
will there even be a movie!?

I think the answer to that question is getting into the same area as the question, "What is the meaning of live?".

Post subject: Freaks
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:03 am

D-Bee

Its not the question why or is it live. I think its the question of how long do we need to wait for the movie and is it going to be a blockbuster? :eek: :shock:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:49 am

Palladin

I am hoping, as I believe several others hear are too, that with the long time it is taking just to write the script, that the long it takes, the better the script will be.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:33 pm

As long as it isn't anything like that damn D&D movie I will be happy.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:46 am

D-Bee

The Rifts movie seriously needs to have a Gritty outlook. Not the Juicer/Line Walker/Glitter Boy saving the world. It needs to be like snatch, or 24th hour. Resevior Dogs or Pulp Fiction. Take a snapshot out of the life of a small group of people fighting for survival, with all the brutal reality, all the serious issues and the action that goes along with it.

Stick it in peoples faces that the future isn't always a pretty thing and we're not all gonna live forever. (Especially the Juicer)

That's just my thoughts.

Wake up and face me, don’t play dead cause maybe,
Someday I will walk away and say, “You disappoint me,”
Maybe you’re better off this way.

- A Perfect Circle 'Passive'

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:12 pm

"A slice of life" is still just a slice., i as an avid moviegoer want an immersive experience. I want to jump when other character jump. I wish to be on the dge of my seat and perhaps even cheering at the end. Perhaps thats why its taking so long. They literally have tens of thousands of pages of material to perhaps make into a movie but with the ability to go into so many directions they have come to an impasse.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:22 am

i think a movie centering around the Devil's Gate would be cool maybe under the coalitions perspective.

actually what they should do is a couple of movies revolving around the same plot but centered on diff groups or factions and then have them come together by the third flick ^_^

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:56 am

Hero

Comment: How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.
Ronald Reagan
The thing i can wait to see is an opening montage showing the nuclear war and the eruption of the ley lines...<shiver>

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:46 pm

D-Bee

Kryzbyn wrote:
The thing i can wait to see is an opening montage showing the nuclear war and the eruption of the ley lines...<shiver>

They should put that to the Benny Hilll theme. Everyone would die laugfing.

Post subject: Re: the real idea
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:30 pm

zerombr wrote:

You mean Genndy Tartakovsky, the man behind Dexter's Laboratory and The Powerpuff Girls! The man ROCKS!

/Sub