Board index » Palladium Books® Multimedia » Rifts® Movie

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:14 pm

Explorer

asajosh wrote:
Not total destruction, but all those materials strewn about would certainly have been reused/recycled in 200+ years. And somehow I find it difficult to see MD billboards :D Buildings yes, but very few other large things. Doesn't chaos earth say that MD concrete (for buildings) was relatively new before the cataclysm? I suppose MD metals for vehicles, armor, robots and such is a more developed technology.

I don't think MD materials are nesicary. Just look at Pompeii. An entire city preserved by a cataclysmic event. I'm not saying things like bilboards and the such would exist, but in 200 or so years, things made of plastics would survive, albeit the worse for wear. And not all of them would've been recycled, afterall, humans nolonger populate the entire contenent as an industrialized species. The books even indicate that some pre-rifts vehicles survived or were rebuilt from surviving remains (my guess is that MD materials weren't in heavy commercial use at the time of cataclysm, just look at what modern cars are made of. Weaker materials than they were 30 years ago. Yet those light weight polymers would last for probably 1000 years, even in the face of heavy weathering) .

My point is simply that a cataclysmic event isn't a giant eraser (unless everything you have is biodegradable) and there will be surviving artifacts, buildings, etc.

And now, my shameless plug:
http://www.dragonboltstudios.com

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:14 pm

Hero

On a scale of 1-10, pompeii is a 4 and the great cataclysm is a 10.
Besides, Pompeii didn't have waves of desperate humans scavenging thru its nor monsterous hordes :)
And as long as we're pulling out Romans, how bout that Colusseum? The way it looks today.. Well imagine this: It only took 40 years of disrepeair and a little human scavenging to get to looking that way after being in perfect condition for about 400 years (I think).

EDIT: If it'll get Rifts on the screen, I'll turn a blind eye to some ads, as long as their not terribly overt.

Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:
So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)

Last edited by asajosh on Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:23 pm

Hero

Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/0706 ... ient_melon

2000 year old melon . . . and we all know it would take more than the apocalypse to destory a twinky :-D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:04 pm

Explorer

asajosh wrote:
On a scale of 1-10, pompeii is a 4 and the great cataclysm is a 10.
Besides, Pompeii didn't have waves of desperate humans scavenging thru its nor monsterous hordes :)
And as long as we're pulling out Romans, how bout that Colusseum? The way it looks today.. Well imagine this: It only took 40 years of disrepeair and a little human scavenging to get to looking that way after being in perfect condition for about 400 years (I think).

EDIT: If it'll get Rifts on the screen, I'll turn a blind eye to some ads, as long as their not terribly overt.

I must disagree with your numerical assesment of Pompeii. For eveyone within it's vacinity it was a definate 10. The only reason there were no hordes of desperate humans scavenging thru it was that the town was instantly buried and eveyone within the area of effect was killed, many frozen in time by the pyroclastic flow. had there been buildings tall enough to poke out from the ashes, depending on the material they would've either been stripped away by the weather or would still be standing as grave markers. Now there would definately be some scavenging, but scavengers would've only taken what is useful (notice that in the case of the Colloseum, the scavengers took Timber, which was usefult to them. Considering how long that thing's been there it's in amazing condition, and the wood that was scavenged would've been rotted by now. The structure itself is what, over 2000 years old?)

Scavengers would've been unlikely to have taken large items, such as Concrete, Building Facads, Rebar, Metal Girders, etc, especially because during the Dark Ages there would've been no way to process that material into something useful. Where scavengers are concerned, they would've kept to a pratical, immediate use methodology.

As far as actual adveretising, I doubt there would be too much in the way of in-your face ads, un less you have a character being shown the bad guy's collection of Pre-Rifts coke cans under glass,,, :)

And now, my shameless plug:
http://www.dragonboltstudios.com

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:41 am

Hero

When it comes to volcanoes, I think Krakatoa. The explosion heard and felt some 8000 miles away. :D

Gotta be able to recycle MD materials, where does all that armor come from? Lot easier to break down whatcha got lying around rather then remake it :)

Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:
So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:39 pm

Dungeon Crawler

lawl... the last press release was in 03... we will never see a movie... they should just tell us that no one will touch it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:41 pm

Adventurer

Ohcheeseyone wrote:
lawl... the last press release was in 03... we will never see a movie... they should just tell us that no one will touch it.

I'm sure as soon as Bruckheimer stops renewing the option either to proceed with the film or let the option go Palladium will let everyone know, but as long as Mr. Bruckheimer and Disney send a nice check every 12-18 months to renew the option there is always hope.

Oh what A tangled web we weave ...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:57 pm

Adventurer

Maryann wrote:
Ohcheeseyone wrote:

I'm sure as soon as Bruckheimer stops renewing the option either to proceed with the film or let the option go Palladium will let everyone know, but as long as Mr. Bruckheimer and Disney send a nice check every 12-18 months to renew the option there is always hope.

and hope keeps me smiling :D

"i shall kill you until you die from it" hot shots part deux

glitterboy2098 wrote:

:lol: just imagine the Hamster Airforce, with the furballs flying ducted fan Scale F-86's....and providing air support for the Rodent Armored Cav, in RC tanks...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:24 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Maryann wrote:
Ohcheeseyone wrote:

Actually I think its one of those "how can we turn something that only a small fraction of people in the WORLD know about, and make it interesting enough to draw the non fans in without dissappointing the faithfuls."

Dungeons and Dragons failed miserably. And lets face it... Palladiums got a big fan base... but not in the movie genre...

http://imdb.com/title/tt0819843/ the title is already taken by another movie (albeit something ive never heard of) so that could be a problem there as well. Too many variables and not enough results for me to be hopeful. Bruckheimer is a great director... but I think hes having trouble swollowing this one.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:55 am

Adventurer

Ohcheeseyone wrote:
Maryann wrote:
Ohcheeseyone wrote:

Actually I think its one of those "how can we turn something that only a small fraction of people in the WORLD know about, and make it interesting enough to draw the non fans in without dissappointing the faithfuls."

Dungeons and Dragons failed miserably. And lets face it... Palladiums got a big fan base... but not in the movie genre...

http://imdb.com/title/tt0819843/ the title is already taken by another movie (albeit something ive never heard of) so that could be a problem there as well. Too many variables and not enough results for me to be hopeful. Bruckheimer is a great director... but I think hes having trouble swollowing this one.

Actually he's the producer. He's not trying to attract the fan base from Palladium, he's looking at the story and the background, not the fact that it was a game.

Oh what A tangled web we weave ...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:10 pm

Adventurer

Ohcheeseyone wrote:
Maryann wrote:
Ohcheeseyone wrote:

don't worry man i don't think a 12 minute film from the uk will be a big problem :lol:

"i shall kill you until you die from it" hot shots part deux

glitterboy2098 wrote:

:lol: just imagine the Hamster Airforce, with the furballs flying ducted fan Scale F-86's....and providing air support for the Rodent Armored Cav, in RC tanks...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:30 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Maryann wrote:
Ohcheeseyone wrote:
Maryann wrote:
Ohcheeseyone wrote:

Actually he's the producer. He's not trying to attract the fan base from Palladium, he's looking at the story and the background, not the fact that it was a game.

But in looking at the story and the background... 90% of the people who play palladium games, will go see it.. hands down. But thats like 1% of the target audience... so story and background are going to be important.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:11 am

D-Bee

did anyone else buy the limited edition hardback

the 3 or 4 pages of plot line and back story along with the couple pages of art should be more than enough to get everyones attention.

so the camera starts out at in orbit around the earth the sun is just starting to light up the eastern seaboard. and you can see the ley lines on the night side of the planet, now the camera screams down passing over what was Texas and north east towards old new york.

( this will give the audience a chance to get and idea of what has happened in the last 200 + years )

and finally somewhere in the north east the camera slows down and is just skimming above the tree tops. (it needs to be some time just before dawn so the audience will have a chance to see the ley lines in all there glory.)

the camra slowes as it passes over a ridge and stops to show a seen much like the painting in the center of the main book.