Dungeons & Dragons

For talk about the upcoming Rifts Movie.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Joseph Kerr
Explorer

Dungeons & Dragons

Unread post by Joseph Kerr »

Hello,

I realize the potential for a Rifts movie has dwindled since Disneys acquisition of Star Wars, but I also see that companys will compete with similair products. Comic titles were being snatched up left and right for example.

Well WB has purchased the rights for a D&D film and are said to already have writers working on the project. Do you think Disney might tap Rifts in response? Or do you think Star Wars is enough of a response?

I'm interested in anybody elses thoughts on the
matter. Also Hasbro apparently are desputing these claims with their own.. http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... s/?a=79279
Help save the people who brightened my little brothers birthday, Palladium Books!!

Enigma - To the Sound of Rain.
mastermesh
Wanderer

Re: Dungeons & Dragons

Unread post by mastermesh »

Rifts are Multi-dimensional. No reason the Millennium Falcon can't come flying out of a rift. ;)

As far as D&D goes... the last D&D based movie was pure and utter waste of time to watch.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Most of the DnD movies are garbage. Bad acting worse storylines terrible scenery and horrible CGI. As far as Disney goes their target audience is kids and pre-teen girls, I doubt the realistic gritty and dangerous world of RIFTS could be softened up enough(and still be RIFTS) for a disney movie.
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

say652 wrote:Most of the DnD movies are garbage. Bad acting worse storylines terrible scenery and horrible CGI. As far as Disney goes their target audience is kids and pre-teen girls, I doubt the realistic gritty and dangerous world of RIFTS could be softened up enough(and still be RIFTS) for a disney movie.

Because Apocalypto, Shanghai Noon, Coyote Ugly, Deuce Bigelow, Summer of Sam, Enemy of the State, Armageddon, Starship Troopers, Con Air, Face/Off, Metro, and The Ref are such kids' films. (The Ref, especially. What could be more kid-friendly than a family Christmas movie, right?) All of which were done by Disney, through their Touchstone label.

Incidentally... The Ref, Con Air, Armageddon, Enemy of the State, and Coyote Ugly all share the same producer. Care to guess who? Go on, guess.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Shanghai Noon, Armageddon, Starship Troopers, Con Air, Face/Off
these were good the rest were all crap
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

say652 wrote:Shanghai Noon, Armageddon, Starship Troopers, Con Air, Face/Off

Of that entire list, The Ref is the only one I'll go out of my way to see.

Armageddon was the stuff that feces wipes off of its shoe.
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

CS Special Forces wrote:Amazing ... The DL chronicles were some of the most epic books I've ever read and the only thing that came of it was..was... A cartoon? :nh:

Correction: a CRAPPY animated film.
Silas
D-Bee
Comment: Never underestimate a player who likes options.

Unread post by Silas »

I think we can safely assume Disney is all about making the most bucks for their investment, right? That being said, I don't see them dropping, or even splitting spotlight space with, Star Wars. They're most likely going to milk the new SW movies for years, until people are sick of space opera movies, then cycle back to fantasy or PotC to grab the younger potential fans. Disney has their winning formulas set down and in use, which doesn't really leave much space for something so all-encompassing (sci-fi/fantasy/post-apocalyptic/action) as RIFTS... at least not while they're still getting a good flow of income from SW.

Hasbro allowing Battleship to be made was a joke. 'Nuff said.

As for D&D, I have to agree with the assessment of the two former movies being utter dreck. I nearly broke my television when I saw the first one, out of sheer nerd rage. Unless they're revamped and done in the spirit of proper high fantasy, D&D movies are pretty much a dead issue.

That brings us back to a big question: what other rpg movies could potentially be made in the near future?

Shadowrun: I don't see this movie being made at all. Too much there to cover in a single movie, and not enough mass-popularity to call for a trilogy.
GURPS: Just no. That would be like making a movie about everything ever done in every movie. Ever.
World of Darkness: Vamps and Wolves and Mages, oh my. Been done to death, already.
Deadlands: This one has possibilities, so long as whomever makes it focuses on the Weird West and doesn't drift into the Wasted West.
TORG: TORG? What's that? (I know what it is, but the vast majority of people won't.)
Pathfinder: Hey! Another D&D movie! 'Nuff said.
(Now into other areas of geekery.)
World of Warcraft: While it would have mass-popularity going for it, there would be far too much history to work through.
Everquest: Some mass-popularity, having dwindled over the years. The big issue is how do you get movie-goers to hate the shorties enough?
Magic: the Gathering: Another one with mass-popularity, but how do you make a story about a bunch of cards with only tiny blurbs to go by?

These are only a few examples, but there are many more out there. The only one out of them that has a chance is Deadlands, and only because it has the whole "supernatural wild west" motif, which hasn't been plumbed too deeply by Hollywood.

Ok, ok, I know, Jonah Hex was technically in that vein, but people seem to have forgotten it was made. All the better for Deadlands' chances.
Rogue Scholar, speaking over the grave of a black marketeer: "In the Great House and in the House of Fire, on that Great Day when all the days and years are numbered, oh let my name be given back to me."
Juicer, having killed said black marketeer: Oh %@$# this! His name is Dirtnap! Can we go now?!
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Silas wrote:TORG: TORG? What's that? (I know what it is, but the vast majority of people won't.)

That's the guy off the borderlands FPS game, right? Mr Torgue?

I jest!

*Explosions!*
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Traska wrote:

you know you cried at the end when bruce willis sacrificed himself for the world.
Traska
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Traska »

say652 wrote:
Traska wrote:

you know you cried at the end when bruce willis sacrificed himself for the world.

No, no I didn't. It was a trope that I could see coming a mile away, and by that point I was rooting for the asteroid.

Return to “Rifts® Movie”