Why not do a Cartoon ?

For talk about the upcoming Rifts Movie.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lenwen

Why not do a Cartoon ?

Unread post by Lenwen »

Why not start the "Hollywood" aspect of Rifts threw a Cartoon showcasing the entire thing ?

If its taking this long for a movie ?
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Re: Why not do a Cartoon ?

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

Chances are though, that if the movie does well you will likely see spin off things like cartoons.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Thoughtful1 wrote:Films are bigger and better. And taking a long time is not a bad thing. LotR took a long time, too. The longer it takes, that means there are more creative people thinking longer and harder about how to make the movie as good as it can possibly be. Patience is virtue.

How long does that virtue turn into something else ?

How old is this making Rifts into a Movie concept?
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Thoughtful1 wrote:
Lenwen wrote:
Thoughtful1 wrote:Films are bigger and better. And taking a long time is not a bad thing. LotR took a long time, too. The longer it takes, that means there are more creative people thinking longer and harder about how to make the movie as good as it can possibly be. Patience is virtue.

Not as old as Tolkien's novels. I've said before that I'd rather see an awesome, successful RIFTS film in 10 years than see a crappy one right now.

That being said though at some point they will either make it or JB will let it go. Not so sure anyone else woudl pick up after that.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Thoughtful1 wrote:
jaymz wrote:
Thoughtful1 wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

Not as old as Tolkien's novels. I've said before that I'd rather see an awesome, successful RIFTS film in 10 years than see a crappy one right now.

That being said though at some point they will either make it or JB will let it go. Not so sure anyone else woudl pick up after that.

Yeah, but your "at some point" was pretty vague. He could hold onto the option for the rest of his life, and then even longer if people in his company still wanted to. They've got plenty of things to choose from, so they don't need to be in a rush.

PATIENCE. The fact that something takes a long time is A GOOD THING. It means they're actually TRYING.

Or just not wanting someone else to get the property instead of them. That happens to :P

Mind you I have been saying for15+ years "why don't they get a comic mini series done", "why not get a direct to dvd animation done", and now wit JBhaving the Licesne "why not do a made for TV mini-series" ?
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.

jaymz wrote:
Thoughtful1 wrote:
Lenwen wrote:

What makes you say that? They've already had seperate parties asking after the license that have been turned away because JB already has it. I don't doubt tha tif JB lets it go that it will be grabbed by someone else.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Thoughtful1 wrote:
PATIENCE. The fact that something takes a long time is A GOOD THING. It means they're actually TRYING.

Or .. that it is shelved .. and nuthing is being done ..

When was the last time it was ever mentioned in any of the Podcasts for any sort of updates ?

There in lies the truth on wether or not thier working it or not .
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Thoughtful1 wrote:
Lenwen wrote:
Thoughtful1 wrote:

Last I heard, WhatshisnamewhodirectedDodgeball was working on the script. Granted, that was months ago. But the fact that there is a script now (I assume) means that progress has been made. And if his WhatshisnamewhodirectedDodgeball's script sucks, then JB will find someone else, just like he did when WhatshisnamewhowroteGladiator's script sucked. He hasn't given up yet, so there is no evidence that would suggest he is going to give up any second now. I think you're being too negative, or at least worrisome.

More worrisome. I know how badass this game system would be as a Live Action movie with the right director ..
The last I heard well over a year and a half ago .. there was a "script" being written... other then that .. absolutly nuthing since .. even on podcasts that I am aware of ..

Thoughtful1 wrote:
Lenwen wrote:When was the last time it was ever mentioned in any of the Podcasts for any sort of updates ?

Not really. Just because we, the public, haven't been given any updates that doesn't mean nothing has happened.

It can be taken either way .. As you said ..

Just because we, the public, haven't been given any updates that doesn't mean nothing has happened .. but it could very well mean .. nuthing has happened ..

No new's can be taken either way .. and the lack of any podcast anouncements about it at all really scares me as a huge bigtime Palladium fan for this live action movie .. :(
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Lenwen wrote:
Thoughtful1 wrote:
Lenwen wrote:
Thoughtful1 wrote:

Last I heard, WhatshisnamewhodirectedDodgeball was working on the script. Granted, that was months ago. But the fact that there is a script now (I assume) means that progress has been made. And if his WhatshisnamewhodirectedDodgeball's script sucks, then JB will find someone else, just like he did when WhatshisnamewhowroteGladiator's script sucked. He hasn't given up yet, so there is no evidence that would suggest he is going to give up any second now. I think you're being too negative, or at least worrisome.

More worrisome. I know how badass this game system would be as a Live Action movie with the right director ..
The last I heard well over a year and a half ago .. there was a "script" being written... other then that .. absolutly nuthing since .. even on podcasts that I am aware of ..

Thoughtful1 wrote:
Lenwen wrote:When was the last time it was ever mentioned in any of the Podcasts for any sort of updates ?

Not really. Just because we, the public, haven't been given any updates that doesn't mean nothing has happened.

Just because we, the public, haven't been given any updates that doesn't mean nothing has happened .. but it could very well mean .. nuthing has happened ..

No new's can be taken either way .. and the lack of any podcast anouncements about it at all really scares me as a huge bigtime Palladium fan for this live action movie .. :(

Not to mention that many properties are picked up good and bad as to not let the other guy get them.

\m/
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

jaymz wrote:
Lenwen wrote:
Thoughtful1 wrote:
Lenwen wrote:
Thoughtful1 wrote:

Thoughtful1 wrote:

Not to mention that many properties are picked up good and bad as to not let the other guy get them.

Used too. Then the economy collapsed and every company pretty much dropped every license that wouldn't be made into a movie 'soon'. Seriously. Tens of thousands of licenses were dropped in a few months. Rifts was renewed during that period. Take that as you will.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

That is definitely a good news story to be sure....

\m/
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

I can see the Rifts movie as a combined cell-animation & CGI film. It would help with animating the larger 'bots and power armors.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

BookWyrm wrote:I can see the Rifts movie as a combined cell-animation & CGI film. It would help with animating the larger 'bots and power armors.

Pretty sure Bruckheimer is going to make it live action/cgi ala avatar to so me degree....

\m/
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Thoughtful1 wrote:And, if no progress is being made, then what? It's not like there's a time limit. If the film gets stuck in development hell for ten years, and then someone approaches JB with a great idea and turns RIFTS into a huge, Oscar-winning, billion-dollars-at-the-box-office, film franchise then won't that be a good thing? Or would you rather have one forgettable failure of a movie tomorrow? Maybe no progress is being made right now, but that doesn't mean it never will be. I still say: Patience.

"Development hell" implies development, which doesn't seem to be happening here. In the years since the Rifts movie option was first announced, the only news (apart from Palladium press releases confirming that the option has been renewed yet again) was a rumour back in '03 or '04 about Bruckheimer hiring some screenwriter to a treatment, and as far as I can tell that rumour was never officially confirmed.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

Rallan wrote:
Thoughtful1 wrote:And, if no progress is being made, then what? It's not like there's a time limit. If the film gets stuck in development hell for ten years, and then someone approaches JB with a great idea and turns RIFTS into a huge, Oscar-winning, billion-dollars-at-the-box-office, film franchise then won't that be a good thing? Or would you rather have one forgettable failure of a movie tomorrow? Maybe no progress is being made right now, but that doesn't mean it never will be. I still say: Patience.

"Development hell" implies development, which doesn't seem to be happening here. In the years since the Rifts movie option was first announced, the only news (apart from Palladium press releases confirming that the option has been renewed yet again) was a rumour back in '03 or '04 about Bruckheimer hiring some screenwriter to a treatment, and as far as I can tell that rumour was never officially confirmed.

It's been confirmed, several times actualy. Heck, I actually had some email communications with Thurber. He's wrote it, brukheimer and co aparenty liked a good deal of it and now it's being re-written to fix the stuff they didn't.

Return to “Rifts® Movie”