Board index » Palladium Books® Multimedia » Rifts® Movie

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:59 pm

Explorer

Comment: If you game anywhere in or around Salt Lake City, Utah meet us at www.meetup.com/SLCRifters/ or www.Rifters.org !
This post is taken from the fourth page of the "What Character Should Be the Star of the Movie" thread. That was getting pretty long and this poses a new set of questions, so thought I'd give it a fresh topic. :wink:

Ok... I'm not the movie buff..actually not one at all.. so how bout we compare "Successful" movies with our expectations or thoughts on a potential Rifts film. I'm not going to say "good" movies, because everyone (especially movie buffs) has a different idea about good and is usually more critical than the average movie goer (me). I would define a "Successful" movie as one that gets lots of butts in the seats!... that appeal to broad audiences that demand sequels... ("National Treasure" seems to have done that!.. and, of course, many others.)

All of us would like to see a Rifts Movie be a blockbuster hit. So lets compare blockbuster hit movies. What content, plot styles, twists, background do you think would fit ... and has PROVEN it 'fits' with wide audiences?
-What movies successfully use the "big diverse party concept" (not D&D!!)
-Do people gravitate more to movies with "one big star," and which archetypes/film-character-types would fit for Rifts?
-Combat scene types? (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon or Saving Private Ryan?)

I'm quite interested to see responses! :)

First response to this so far was...

Overlord Rikonius wrote:
Rifter6 wrote:
Overlord Rikonius wrote:
I dunno, I think a movie with a lot of different types could work, if you tweak the format a bit. Like, instead of a "hey we're the player character party" vibe, have some sort of objective they're all after, where they have to work together sometimes, and as rivals or enemies at others. Something where the characters are thrown out of their comfort zones, nobody's sure who to trust, everyone has an angle and is scamming everyone else. The kind of thing where you're not entirely sure who's coming out on top because you could conceivably say that any one of them is the protagonist, and even then you're not entirely sure what side any particular one will be on by the end.
Where they're not together all the time, but a lot of it is parallel maneuvering.

Hey I really like this 'angle'.

Ok... I'm not the movie buff..actually not one at all.. so how bout we compare "Successfull" movies. I'm not going to say "good" cause everyone (specially movie buffs) has a different idea about good and is usually more critical than the average movie goer (me).

All of us would like to see a Rifts Movie be a blockbuster hit. So lets compare blockbuster hit movies. What content, plot styles, twists, background do you think would fit ... and has PROVEN it 'fits' with wide audiences?
-What movies successfully use the "big diverse party concept" (not D&D!!)

I never saw the Oceans movies, but I figure those might be close.
Star Wars (you had a smuggler, a space ape, a royal, a wizard, and robots).
Quote:
-Do people gravitate more to movies with "one big star" and which ones/types would fit for Rifts?

I think one big star could work, but several stars, maybe of slightly lower caliber, would also work.
As for which ones to get?
People:
Vin Deisel: It's a violent (it better be violent) sci fi movie based on an RPG. That's his specialties and interests right there
Jason Statham: Hey, somebody's gotta drive, may as well get the best. Seriously, if you watch his movies, he's got 98% in all piloting skills, high level martial arts and lots of WPs. Sounds like a Rifts PC to me :lol:
Kate Beckinsale: Preferably in shiny black formfitting body armor
Djimon Honsou: Hero of villain, this guy is just pure badass
Someone should be a rogue scholar who has or is looking for some cryptic info key to the plot. This person should either be an older and refined actor (like any number of revered british actors), a crazy-eyed loon (Kramer, Cramer, or Christopher Lloyd), or else a sarcastic egotist.
Quote:
-Combat scene types? (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon or Saving Private Ryan?)

Both!
A Rifts movie should have epic battles with lots of soldiers in the thich of it and big mechs and bigger booms. It should also have a few one on one and few on few fights.
Also, toward the climax of the movie, while the armies are fighting, the hero(es) try to sabotage a CS facility or steal a datadisk or somesuch, and are met by the protectors of their target. Ideally this fight is somehow crucial to the outcome of the larger battle.
Of course not every fight is gonna end in death. Most of the best action films have fights that end when one side knocks the other into a trap or cripples their vehicle or creates a diversion and splits or something of that nature.

-Rifter6

http://www.meetup.com/SLCRifters/
http://www.Rifters.org

http://www.meetup.com/SLCRifters/