The spell Energy Field

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

The spell Energy Field

Unread post by darthauthor »

The spell Energy Field creates a force field.

It reminds me of Telekinetic Force Field (which can't move).

So the player character caster wanted to use the Energy Field spell to cast it as a NET or like the Web spell. His idea was to trap people in them (with the victim getting no saving throw.

Failing this, like if they dodged or something, could the Energy Field be used as a barricade to block anyone coming through a hallway or such?
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Re: The spell Energy Field

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

Definitely as a barrier. I would allow a Dodge of 16 or higher to avoid being entrapped by one, same as Magic Net.
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

Use similar has well to trap though I do prefer Telekinetic Force field. When mob knows character like to use missiles.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

darthauthor wrote:So the player character caster wanted to use the Energy Field spell to cast it as a NET or like the Web spell. His idea was to trap people in them (with the victim getting no saving throw.

Failing this, like if they dodged or something, could the Energy Field be used as a barricade to block anyone coming through a hallway or such?

To answer the last bit first I'll quote the spell's text as found BoM (pg101): "The energy field appears as a semitransparent wall or bubble that shimmers with a blue-white light." So yes it can be used to create a barrier.

To the first part again the spell can be cast at range and directed to form "around the mage, others, or an object." So yes you can entrap someone, though 4 points:
1. To avoid abuse some type of saving throw should be made to avoid/resist the spell effects by the target. Normally there is no saving throw, so either a dodge or a Save Vs Magic (I thought there where rules for when there is no saving vs magic when you don't want the spell cast on you like "Armor of Ithan", but I'm not sure where or even if those rules exist, so you'll have to create a target number if you go this route or do a more exhaustive search)
2. depending on the target and properties of the EF, you might box them in but they can still attack the EF to breakout (and if you get a "small room full of people" it potentially can go down quickly, even 1x person doing a weak 1d4MD on average should knock it down it 24 attacks, a 2d6MD weapon in 9 attacks on average)
3. the EF may not block all "attacks" emanating from it's interior
4. the EF is more likely to be like putting them in a "cell" than stuck in a "net" or "web" in a single casting. You could pinch them between barriers with a second casting.
darthauthor
Hero

Thanks ShadowLogan,

Points well made.

Part of me agrees that it is somewhat unfair for the character bubbled to get no save.

The other part of me acknowledges that it does no damage to them and in fact protects them from damage at the cost of not being able to leave the energy field.
Also, the spell will wear off so it is really just a time out box.
And as you point out, with an MD weapon they could break out in like 2 to 6 minutes.

Would be wicked if a CS trooper threw a granade while in it. Extra damage to them?

I just thought of it. Could it be used to contain an explosion like a land mine or hand grenade?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

darthauthor wrote:Part of me agrees that it is somewhat unfair for the character bubbled to get no save.

The scenario being considered here is a bit mild compared to a psionic combo that came up in our games once: trap the targets with TK: FF and then hit them with PK:CPoF (getting hit for 6d6 per melee action while trapped inside the TK:FF, it was usually trapping groups AND doing 6d6 to each target of said group). So while at this point it could be considered mild, the potential exists for it to be abused which would make later attempts to balance seem unfair if use became regular.

darthauthor wrote:Would be wicked if a CS trooper threw a granade while in it. Extra damage to them?

I just thought of it. Could it be used to contain an explosion like a land mine or hand grenade?

In a strictly game mechanical sense, it could only contain an explosion that does less damage that the EF (or anything else used to contain it) has, though technically anything else in the radius would take 1/2 damage after the EF collapses. EF though is not the best option here (the 5th Level Spell "Implosion Neutralizer" would be). Mechanically there are rules for point-blank damage for the CS Trooper situation, though megaversally i don't think they are consistent (though "common sense" I also expect is also supposed to apply).

Modeling explosives behavior inside the EF (or any other type of force field or enclosed object) is not straightforward and more up to the GM in how they want to handle it. How physical objects would work to contain an explosion can be researched, but force fields is a bit trickier.
darthauthor
Hero

If the question comes down to Implosion Neutralizer vs an Energy Field it could be a matter of ohe player not knowning the spell. That or forgetting they have it or how it works. Under different circumstances they may want the explosion to occur but in such a way that only their enemies get damaged.

I just imagined now.

Can a player stand on an Energy Field (like climbing up a tree) to get away from wolves or something but stil be able to attack them (like with a bow and arrow or handgun)?

If one cast it on the surface of a lake or ocean would it sink while protecting whoever or whatever was inside it from pressure, cold and with whatever air was left inside (beathable air for spell duration)?

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”