Summoners/Diabolists using Familiar Link?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

Summoners/Diabolists using Familiar Link?

Unread post by Axelmania »

Was reading pg 48 of Heart of Magic and noticed something interesting:
"Summoners and Diabolists don't seem to care for them either."

This is a much looser condemnation than "Psi-Mystics and Warlocks are the exceptions when it comes to Familiars, and never have one"

It seems to imply that Diabolists/Summoners COULD get a familiar (via a scroll, presumably) despite their lack of inclination toward doing so...

Where that's interesting is FL's unique intro. It's as far as I can remember the only spell I've seen that actually has a level requirement for using it (3rd):
"At third level, a practitioner of magic is experienced enough to men­tally link"

I probably wrongly assumed that "practitioner of magic" means "someone who casts spells, such as this one" so you couldn't just go handing "Scroll of Familiar Link" out to every passing vagabond...

But even though Diabolists/Summoners do not cast spells, they ARE practitioners of magic, so apparently they CAN do it, so long as they get a scroll?

Psi-Mystics PCC / Warlock PCC (and I assume the Mystic OCC in Rifts and similar like Grey Seer / Mystic Knight) are notorious intuitives who like a Diabolist/Summoner can't be taught to cast spells based on that OCC (they just gain them) but since Summoners CAN be taught (ie power circles, since they start with all the other ones) and I guess Diabolists too (they were taught the wards they began with) something about that teachability could be the contrast as to why S/D can get Familiar while Mystics/Warlocks can't?

I'm actually surprised Warlocks don't get classified as Clergy, they seem pretty priest-like albeit it doesn't seem possible to annoy elemental intelligences into stopping you from casting spells like it is with priests.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Summoners/Diabolists using Familiar Link?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Yes, they could with a scroll.

Warlocks, a granted power magic class not a PCC, are already linked to elemental forces. As such (there can only be one) can't get another link even if they wanted to unless there is great magic imposing it on the warlock (see the card in R13 for The example of a great magic).

Mystics spend their extra time meditating about the nature of the universe and a link to an animal would disturb that meditation. This is the only explanation about 'Why Mystics (whatever ever flavor they are) wouldn't go about getting a familiar.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Axelmania
Knight

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Warlocks, a granted power magic class not a PCC, are already linked to elemental forces. As such (there can only be one) can't get another link even if they wanted to

though we do have those warlocks bonded to TWO elements...

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:unless there is great magic imposing it on the warlock (see the card in R13 for The example of a great magic).

[/quote]
not sure what this means, the rifts card came?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Axelmania wrote:not sure what this means, the rifts card came?

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=79167
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Axelmania
Knight

ah, Rifter, I like it. I'm fond of appreviations but for some reason I always spelt it out, maybe I thought I'd be jumping the gun to do a single-letter abbrev but apparently it's been acceptable for 13 years

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”