Nazca Line Maker Do I need to adjust powers?

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SpiritKitsune7
D-Bee

Nazca Line Maker Do I need to adjust powers?

Unread post by SpiritKitsune7 »

Hi all, I have received the South America 2 Rift book in my grab bag. :-D I have heard from my gamemaster that many races in this book are overpowered. My gamemaster want's me to play a balanced character. Do the Nazca Line Maker need to be adjusted for his campaign? Is there a link that anyone have to balance my character that I am making? Can you awesome people suggest a monster pattern for me to take? I am starting at level 3. I need a small or medium good or unprincipled Alignment monster. I want something fun and good that won't take up to much P.P.E. What line powers do I want at low levels? And what high-level powers do I want later? I know I want permanency power.
flatline
Knight

Re: Nazca Line Maker Do I need to adjust powers?

Unread post by flatline »

After two decades of power creep, it's hard to argue that SA1 and SA2 are overpowered compared to the rest of the setting. A few pieces of equipment might still be a bit unbalanced, but it's trivial to avoid them when making your character (and a Line Maker is unlikely to start with any of them anyways).

Ask your GM what you should avoid, but other than that I wouldn't worry about it. I would be shocked if a Line Maker would cause a problem.
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
malaclypse
D-Bee

Unread post by malaclypse »

They really aren't that powerful at all.

In their respective sphere (especially if in their geographical area), and given time to prepare properly, they can be strong. But I wouldn't say overpowered...

As flatline pointed out, the stuff from SA1&2 was probably a bit on the overpowered side when it was released, but it's nowhere near that now.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

As I see it, the high-powered race-oriented options in the SA books are the Achilles Neo-Human, the Amaki (when used with abilities that convert sdc to mdc), the Megaversal Legion borg, and the Bone Werejaguars. A couple of weapons could stand to have damage reduced, but most claims about Carella's stuff being overpowered is largely oft-repeated sour grapes.

For playing a Line Maker, I'd ask the GM's opinion on a few things. I'd make sure the Line Maker can learn new drawings at any time instead of only at a new level like a mystic or warlock, since even though the book says drawings can be taught to other casters it's never explicitly said that holds true for the Line Maker, and I've seen it played both ways. Second, I'd ask that if the game is using Rifts Ultimate edition instead of Rifts Main Book that the PPE be increased the same as the Technowizard was, from 2d4x10 to 3d4x10. Third, discuss if options from diabolism should be available. If a GM is going on about balance then they're likely looking to say no to something, but the class really isn't that great of a spellcaster without it. Similarly, there are some great sdc animals with natural abilities that can be used in higher powered games, such as Land Rays (Psyscape), Whisker Coyotes (New West), dolphins, and whales (Underseas).

If a 3rd level Line Maker only has the 12 Line drawings they learn from leveling, one of which being Permanency, and the animals above aren't available, I'd consider focusing on utility stuff and Protection Circle:Simple/Summon Entity instead of Animal/Monster drawings. There's some value in a small animal for spying like a hummingbird or bee.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

well, i would say that south america weapons are too powerful in one sense.

they are supposed to be significantly behind technologically compared to north america, and particularly the coalition states. while some of their weapons do reflect that, others don't really do that at all. they aren't necessarily more powerful overall, but perhaps stronger than they should be.
malaclypse
D-Bee

Curbludgeon wrote:If a 3rd level Line Maker only has the 12 Line drawings they learn from leveling, one of which being Permanency, and the animals above aren't available, I'd consider focusing on utility stuff and Protection Circle:Simple/Summon Entity instead of Animal/Monster drawings. There's some value in a small animal for spying like a hummingbird or bee.

Where are you seeing they get Permanency at level 3?

Shark_Force wrote:well, i would say that south america weapons are too powerful in one sense.

they are supposed to be significantly behind technologically compared to north america, and particularly the coalition states. while some of their weapons do reflect that, others don't really do that at all. they aren't necessarily more powerful overall, but perhaps stronger than they should be.

Some of the weapons in SA aren't originally designed/created on Rifts Earth, though. If you bring weapons from your spacefaring race, don't be surprised if they work differently or be more powerful the CS tech (which isn't very impressive to begin with, IMO).
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

The OP states it's a third level character, with one selection being permanency.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

malaclypse wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:well, i would say that south america weapons are too powerful in one sense.

Some of the weapons in SA aren't originally designed/created on Rifts Earth, though. If you bring weapons from your spacefaring race, don't be surprised if they work differently or be more powerful the CS tech (which isn't very impressive to begin with, IMO).

while true, this isn't a case of only the alien weapons being more or less on par with CS tech.
malaclypse
D-Bee

Curbludgeon wrote:The OP states it's a third level character, with one selection being permanency.

OP said they're 3rd level and want permanency.

p 37, WB9 wrote:These line drawings are not commonly taught to beginning line makers. Advanced adepts (6th level and higher) who have performed a valuable service for the city of Nazca or the Inca Empire could, if they so request, be rewarded with one of these rituals. Magicians who do not specialize in line making are never taught these powers (an individual teacher might be persuaded
to do otherwise, but very rarely).

(emphasis mine)

That's why I asked - they're level 3 and wanting a power normally only acquired at level 6+
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

malaclypse wrote:That's why I asked - they're level 3 and wanting a power normally only acquired at level 6+

Luckily a Diabolist knows Permanence Ward at level 1 and it doesn't cost them permanent PPE, just the bone of their local pet demon who regenerates limbs.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”