Zaayr Crystal Dragon Spells

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

Zaayr Crystal Dragon Spells

Unread post by darthauthor »

In the book Psyscape they introduce the Zaayr Crystal Dragon.

In the description it says that this species of dragon is limited to all light and darkness spells.

What are the "light" spells referred to in the writing?

Is there some special school of "light" magic?

Or do they mean a Globe of Daylight and such?

Are the "light" magic spells only from invocations or does it include other magic schools like the Air Warlock's "Create Light" Spell along with "Northern Lights", "Lightblade", and "Rainbow"

"Burning Light of Blue Flame."

Cloud Magic
"Clouds of Light Deflection" , "See the Light"

Darkness Spells?

What is that? Shadow Magic?

Globe of Darkness? Summon Shadow Beast?
darthauthor
Hero

Re: Zaayr Crystal Dragon Spells

IF I try to answer my own question about "Light" and "Darkness" magic, it is whatever the player and GM agree it could be.

As for what makes the most sense to me, "Light" magic are spells (invocation or otherwise) whose effect produces light of any spectrum or uses light as a means to produce a result.
So illusions?
I guess so as long as they are in the real world and not mental illusions.
"Light" spells don't require the word light in their name.
Also, the word light in the name does not mean that a Zaayr dragon gets it ("Featherlight," "Light Healing")

1. Blinding Flash (1)
2. Globe of Daylight (2)
3. Lantern Light (1)
4. Cloak of Darkness (6)
5. Light Target (6)
6. Horrific Illusion (10)
7. Illusion Booster (15)
8. Illusory Wall (15 or 30)
9. Illusion Manipulation (25-60)
10. Illusory Forest (45-90)
11. Illusory Terrain (55-120)
12. See in Magic Darkness (125)

There has to be more spells than "this." There are only 12 and they do no damage, defense or information gathering. Just a bunch of hiding.

Invocations spells are NOT enough.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

If you have access to a copy, Rifter #38 has the Laser Mage, a mystic-style magic-user with some light manipulation spells. As per GMs' discretion, the Zaayr could have access to some or all of these spells.

Canon spells, Rifts Mercenary Adventures has some Combat Magic spells that could be applicable:

-FlareBurst(2)
-Nightvision(4)
-Infrared Vision(5)
-Laser Blast(5)
-Starburst(12)
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
darthauthor
Hero

Taalismn,

I like your ideas and the direction you are going?

Reading some more of Secrets of Atlanteans I see that the Sunj have "shadow" Magic which I feel is in the neighborhood of "darkness" magic.
While the Atlantean Crystal Magic feels like it would be a near perfect fit for a dragon made of living Crystal; the Zaayr Dragon.

The only issue is, it is so not the wording used in the Psyscape book where the dragon Zaayr is first shown to us. I don't like the way they word the dragon's description of magic.

I totally have to give you credit for the Laser Mage magic. I imagine a laser mage would worship the crystal Zaayr dragon. The dragons make up so overlaps with Laser magic spells with the sunlight and crystals.

Although, I feel Laser Mages should probably be called sun worshipers or something like that. They seem less like laser people and more like sun people. I'd also change them to be total immune to lasers but not all energy attacks. Half laser damage from an MD energy weapon is still ALL dead.

Still, I could see a laser mage raising a baby Kaayr dragon (crystal dragon). That or an Atlantean Crystal Mage raising a Kaayr dragon.

I would even like to see the "Laser Mage" get some of the Atlantean Crystal Mage spells that use crystals to produce sunlight.
Spells like: "Sun Crystal" and "Crystal Solar Battery"

As they are crystal and sunlight based and in effects
taalismn
Priest

Well, I'm working on some additional Laser Mage spells to give some more oomph to the school. Magic is a living growing thing, after all.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
darthauthor
Hero

I'd love to share some ideas about laser magic spells.

Some of my ideas are just "wording" like "Sunspots" that I have no clue what I would make it do magic wise. "Sun Storm" "Solar Sail" "Sun Tea" "Solar Flares" "Sun Block" "Laser Disc"
"Sunburn" "Walking on Sunshine" "Sun-Day" "Sunbath" "Daylight" Daylight Savings" "Sunight"
"Sun Damage"

Maybe they should be called Sun Warlocks?

Other ideas I have no label/name for but I know what I want it to do.

So I want a laser magic spell that:

Laser Vision Correction

Metamorphous: Light - Transform into light. Like changing into smoke or Air or mist only light. Same invulnerability and vulnerabilities to magic and psionics.
Perk is can travel close to the speed of light (by themselves).

Sun Sword or Lightblade. Basicallly a Lightsaber

The Russian Fire Mages spell Sun Sphere spell, "burning Globe?"
The spell "Star Light" from whatever school of magic that is.

Spell that lets the laser mage sustain themselves off of sunlight (no need for food or water) basically the sustain spell. Wait. Is this spell any good? It's not good if its just the "Sustain" spell otherwise the caster should just take the "sustain" spell.

Commujnicate with or see someone when the sun is shine on the two of you at the same time. The Sun shines on us all.
Purify Food and Water and disinfect.

Cure Skin Cancer
taalismn
Priest

I'm working on a 'SunDog' spell that essentially creates a commandable laser-firing drone made of energy. Thing is, when it uses its most powerful attack, a ranged laser blast, it burns away its own substance,

The other ideas I'm currently pursuing are 'Light-Trap', which creates a shield that traps laser energy and repurposes it into protective energy, 'Light Snack', which allows the recipient to 'eat' sunlight, and 'Light Guide', which allows the character to bend light, including laser beams.
I'm also trying to work out a personal laser-com spell with regards to setting up how the recipient can make sense of the content of the seen beam(perhaps it works like Whisper of Wind, only it uses light as the medium of transmission).

Your transformation into light might take the form of a limited teleportation, line-of-sight(ZAP! "I'm over THERE!")....anything more and you're recreating HU Alter Physical Structure: Light

Other terms you might bandy about in describing 'light' spells are 'Lumo/Lumi' or 'Illum', 'Helio', 'and 'Photo-'
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
darthauthor
Hero

Correction.

I should have said, Metamorphosis: SUNLIGHT not 'just' light
darthauthor
Hero

Sphere of (sun)light spell : This harmless sphere of light will create a larger sphere with a 10 foot diameter. Those inside the sphere can see inside it and outside of it. While those outside the sphere only see a sphere of white life. In essence, this spell is a form of camoflauge. From the outside the white light gives away the location of the sphere you are in. However, only those who can see in multiple spectrums of light can see you. Ordinary vision, nightvision, and infrared see nothing. See invisible won't work because you are not invisible. Technically someone could still shoot at the sphere itself but this is wild fire. A grenade or area of effect spell would work though. While those within the sphere can leave at any time and can see perfectly outside of the sphere as though it were daylight. Anyone who takes damage from sunlight will take damage if they touch or step into the sphere. If someone does step inside the sphere they can see both inside and out with their normal vision. Like the "circle of rain" spell it is a great way to keep vampires at bay and even destroy them if they can be tricked or trapped inside the sphere long enough to destroy them.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”