Question about tattoo magic.

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

marcbreaker
Newb

Question about tattoo magic.

Unread post by marcbreaker »

I've been searching for a couple hours and haven't been able to find anything definite. Is an Undead Slayer automatically noticed by a DogBoy/Psi-Stalker? Thanks.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Re: Question about tattoo magic.

Unread post by Mack »

They'd be noticed like any other practitioner of magic.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I'd lean towards Undead Slayers being more on par with a supernatural creature than a PoM, myself. They've been permanently turned into an MDC creature.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Mark Hall wrote:I'd lean towards Undead Slayers being more on par with a supernatural creature than a PoM, myself. They've been permanently turned into an MDC creature.

Fair point, and one I wouldn't dispute.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I would of used the words 'Magically Enhanced Being' rather than 'MDC creature'. But the core meanings is similar enough.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
ManDrakeTWise
D-Bee

Unread post by ManDrakeTWise »

For the purposes of the Dog Boys, I definitely consider them to be magic users, because their large base PPE and their tattoos acting like spells. So depending on the species of Dog Boy, they should have percentage chance of detect them within 50 feet + 5 feet per level. If they use a tattoo, then the range jumps to 400 feet + 50 feet per level. But even then it's a skill roll by the dog boy. It's possible they won't notice, depending on their level, since it's a skill it maxes out 98% chance somewhere around 12 level. So it's not "automatic" despite how it feels when you are trying to sneak into a Coalition City. Larger the number of dog boys the greater the likelihood you'll be detected by one of them.

The supernatural question is a lot more fuzzy. Traditionally supernatural in the palladium sense is referring to the Supernatural Evil of some sort. On pg 368 of RUE, there is the discussion of the ability of even weak psychics to detect these kinds of forces. Now depending on how you choose to interrupt the notion of Supernatural you could come up with several different answers. Traditionally Supernatural means having both MDC in an magic rich environment and Supernatural Attributes in a magic rich environment. All the examples listed have both. In the case of the Undead Slayer, they have MDC in magic rich environment, but no corresponding supernatural strength. So I would list them as a creature of magic instead of Supernatural. So sort of like halfway to supernatural. But that being said, even then Supernatural while it's easier to track when using magic, without using magic, you have a slight better percentage chance of evading Dog Boys. The problem is that they can start detecting you at a lot further range. So they get more tries to sense you. But it's still not automatic. If they are all Wolfhounds instead of Foxhounds, you might have a chance to pull it off. But the Coalition usually puts a mix to maximize the advantages for detection at checkpoints of Dog Boys and Psi-Stalkers.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Mark Hall wrote:I'd lean towards Undead Slayers being more on par with a supernatural creature than a PoM, myself. They've been permanently turned into an MDC creature.

I vaguely recall something like if you have 7 tats and one of them is on your hand and the hand is chopped off that you can do stuff like cast magic again. Would that also revert you into an SDC being?

Slayers in particular had that text somewhere in Atlantis about them being supernatural which was absent for the other three AFAIK (T-men, Monster-Men, Maxi-Men) which got me thinking that they were more supernaturalish somehow than the others despite all being MDC.

MDC creatures aren't necessarily supernatural after all, like I don't think Grackle Tooths and dinosaurs are sensed by hounds/stalkers?

Even if it's magic that changes you into MDC it doesn't explicitly mean you're detectable as supernatural, though perhaps you'd be detectable as an active magic spell instead?
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

Undead Slayers are minor supernatural creatures according to Secrets of the Allanteans page 68.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”