Board index » Across the Megaverse® » Guild of Magic & Psionics

Post subject: Re: Invented Spells
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:44 pm

Priest

Mack wrote:
Haven't had time to fully flesh this out, but I wanted to write down the idea.

Harden Familiar.

Works for me.
"Do I save my life energy for myself, or do I pump a substantial portion of it into my Familiar, since everybody here seems to be suddenly taking an interest in whacking the squirrel that came in on my shoulder?"

For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:39 pm

Supreme Being

Comment: This space for rent.
I was looking at it from the perspective of “My little buddy ain’t gonna make it past the first frag grenade if I don’t do something!”

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:40 am

Priest

Mack wrote:
I was looking at it from the perspective of “My little buddy ain’t gonna make it past the first frag grenade if I don’t do something!”

"Why's this big bad wizard guy casting 'Armor of Ithan' on that pigeon? Hmmm....."

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:27 am

Palladin

make it a suit out of the scraps of blind warrior woman "armour" and cast the spell that makes a person take MD as SDC after the armour is destroyed?

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:11 am

Supreme Being

Magical Landmine (I need a better name)
Level 7 Combat Magic (see Merc Adventures sourcebook)
Range: Touch
Damage: 1D4x10 MD, +2 MD per level of experience
Duration: 1 hour per level of experience
Saving Throw: Victim may attempt to Save vs magic with a -2 penalty.
PPE: Thirty (30)

This spell creates a magic circle on the ground or wall, which will explode with magical energy when disturbed. During it's creation, the mage must choose how large a creature must be to trigger the effect (larger than a rabbit, a person, a horse, etc). The circle is invisible to the naked eye, but visible via See Aura, See the Invisible, Eyes of the Wolf, and similar spells/abilities. Likewise, it is easily detectable by Sense Magic, or the abilities of a Psi-Stalker / Dog Boy.

The circle can be removed either by the creator, or via the Negate Magic or Dispel Magic Barrier spells. The creator is not immune to the circle and may inadvertently hurt himself.

The circle has a minimum diameter of 1 foot, and a maximum diameter of 1 foot per level of experience. The magical explosion inflicts 1D4x10 MD, plus an additional 2 MD per level of experience. The spell's duration is 1 hour per level of experience. Thus a level 6 mage can create a circle up to 6 feet wide, that inflicts 1D4x10 +12 MD, and lasts for 6 hours.

The mage may create multiple circles provided they do not overlap.

Casting this spell requires one full melee (15 seconds) of concentration.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:50 pm

Priest

I'd just call it 'Magical Mine'.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:22 pm

Priest

Gather and Shape Plastic (Invocation/Ritual)
Modern post-industrial environments tend to be -rife- with plastic pollution. Most ‘pre-green’ plastics don’t decay as other materials do, but instead are simply ground finer and finer by the elements untiil they become a widely-distributed and dangerous particulate residue. This spell filters and gathers up the synthetic plastic waste(plastic bags, fragments, flakes) in an area and collects it in a single solid shape.
Level: 9
Type: (Invocation/Ritual)
Range: (Invocation)10 ft radius per level of experience
(Ritual) 100 ft radius per level of experience
Duration: 1d4 minutes, during which plastic scraps and pieces seem to ‘snow’ towards the casting center.
Saving Throw: None
PPE Cost: (Invocation) 30
(Ritual) 100
Effects:
Collects plastic trash and pollutants(up to 50 lbs per level of experience for the invocation, 300 lbs per level of experience for the ritual, so multiple castings might be necessary for particularly heavily polluted areas) in the affected area and pulls them into a solid shape in the center of the casting area.
For the invocation the mage needs to have a sample of the plastic type they are planning to collect, and holds it in their hand when casting the spell.
For the ritual, the mage can set samples of up to six different plastic types in the ritual design before casting. Each different plastic will be collected into its own collective pile(though the maximum amount will be 300 lbs/number of different plastics being collected, per level of experience) .

Fang-Buster(Invocation)
Fang-Buster essentially magically reverses a creature’s fangs/bite such that for the duration of the spell, the creature’s bite attack does damage only to itself.
Level: 7
Type: SPELL(Invocation)
Range: 50 ft +10 ft per level of experience
Duration: 1 melee per level of experience
Saving Throw: Standard
PPE Cost: 20
Effects:
Causes bite attacks to reverse; they now do damage only to the creature, every time the creature attempts to bite during the spell’s duratiion. Also, on a ‘to strike’ roll of 17-20, the creature does DOUBLE damage to itself. Used on vampires, Fang-Buster negates their ability to perform bite attacks.

Inner Poison(Invocation)
Similar to Fang-Buster in that it turns an attacker’s biological weaponry on itself, Inner Poison turns any acids or venomous poisons the creature may possess on itself by trapping the substances inside the attacker and turning them against them.
Level: 8
Type: SPELL(Invocation)
Range: 50 ft +10 ft per level of experience
Duration: 1 minute per level of experience
Saving Throw: Standard
PPE Cost: 25
Effects:
Every time a creature that uses poisons or acids attempts to attack with them, the damage normally done by the poisonous/corrosive substances instead turns on the creature(the spell also temporarily negates any immunity to the creature may have) doing full damage to them.

Sex Magnet(Invocation)
Level: 10
Type: Invocation
Range: 50 ft +20 ft per level of experience
The effect radiates out 10 ft per level of experience from the target.
Duration: 15 minutes per level of experience
Saving Throw: Standard for those of the same gender as the target or of same sex preferences opposite that of the target, -4 for those of the opposite gender or possessing a same sex preference towards the target, -2 for those of the same general species-type as the target(such as, for humans, elves, dwarves, and ogres), +2 for those not of the same species/general type as the target.
PPE Cost: 60
Effects:
Though regarded as the holy grail of virgin and single mages, Sex Magnet was actually formulated as a CURSE. Cast on a subject, it makes them unknowingly virtually irresistable to others as a potential conjugal partner. Those entering the area of effect and failing to save versus the magic will become instantly attracted to the subject and incredibly turned on, growing increasingly frustrated and stupid-crazy in their approaches to the target. Though stopping short of physically harming the subject of their affections, the collateral victims of this spell may engage in very public displays of affection, hugging, kissing, serenading, begging, pleading, proposing, disrobing, fighting with others also affected, stropping themselves against the target, and generally acting like love-starved buffoons.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Last edited by taalismn on Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:11 am

Palladin

so does the ritual version of the gather and shape plastic spell give you one ball of plastic, or 6? :P

(also, i'm imagining someone casting this spell on a group of people wearing armour or using vehicles with plastic in them... a 100 foot radius per level could get to be pretty hilarious :P )

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:22 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Shark_Force wrote:
so does the ritual version of the gather and shape plastic spell give you one ball of plastic, or 6? :P

(also, i'm imagining someone casting this spell on a group of people wearing armour or using vehicles with plastic in them... a 100 foot radius per level could get to be pretty hilarious :P )
The spell is not very specific. I'm wondering the amount of plastic collected in terms of weight and mass.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:57 pm

Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
[The spell is not very specific. I'm wondering the amount of plastic collected in terms of weight and mass.

Revised to include a maximum weight collected per level of experience...as much as I'd love to see a single casting collect a TOWER of waste plastic.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:24 am

Virtuoso of Variants

Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.
taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
The spell is not very specific. I'm wondering the amount of plastic collected in terms of weight and mass.

Revised to include a maximum weight collected per level of experience...as much as I'd love to see a single casting collect a TOWER of waste plastic.
Thank you for your time and attention.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:21 pm

Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Thank you for your time and attention.

All in the service of creating better material. ;)

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:09 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Makeover
Level: Three
Duration: Permanent.
Saving Throw: None.
P.P.E.: Ten
This useful spell creates a complete makeover for a voluntary subject, including cosmetics, hair, clothes. It even polishes teeth and eliminates plaque. Changes are as permanent as those made in a beauty salon. The degree of style in the tailoring is determined by a skill test against either the caster’s Cosmetology or Disguise or Wardrobe & Grooming. Use of this spell in the performance of the previous skills gives a +20% on the skill performance.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:59 pm

Priest

Mlp7029 wrote:
Makeover.

For those mornings when you realize you're late for work, you forgot to do this week's laundry, and you've got that big meet-and-greet first thing at work. :D

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:39 am

Dungeon Crawler

Mlp7029 wrote:
Makeover
Level: Three
Duration: Permanent.
Saving Throw: None.
P.P.E.: Ten
This useful spell creates a complete makeover for a voluntary subject, including cosmetics, hair, clothes. It even polishes teeth and eliminates plaque. Changes are as permanent as those made in a beauty salon. The degree of style in the tailoring is determined by a skill test against either the caster’s Cosmetology or Disguise or Wardrobe & Grooming. Use of this spell in the performance of the previous skills gives a +20% on the skill performance.

Useful and possibly fun spell, but wouldn't a duration of Instant be more appropriate? Permanent implies that the magic remains for a significant period of time, maintaining the look, which would be interesting in its own right, ripe for plenty of RP abuse. A duration of instant seem to be more in keeping with your intended flavor text, the ephemeral - there, done, gone - nature of the spell, at least as far as the text seems to describe it.

May The Force be with you always.
Torrey

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:11 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"
taalismn wrote:
Sex Magnet(Invocation)
Saving Throw: Standard for those of the same gender as the target, -4 for those of the opposite gender, -2 for those of the same general species-type as the target(such as, for humans, elves, dwarves, and ogres), +2 for those not of the same species/general type as the target.
Effects:
Though regarded as the holy grail of virgin and single mages, Sex Magnet was actually formulated as a CURSE. Cast on a subject, it makes them unknowingly virtually irresistable to others as a potential conjugal partner. Those entering the area of effect and failing to save versus the magic will become instantly attracted to the subject and incredibly turned on, growing increasingly frustrated and stupid-crazy in their approaches to the target. Though stopping short of physically harming the subject of their affections, the collateral victims of this spell may engage in very public displays of affection, hugging, kissing, serenading, begging, pleading, proposing, disrobing, fighting with others also affected, stropping themselves against the target, and generally acting like love-starved buffoons.

I can definitely see the applications of this as a curse! :D
This is potentially devastating if used appropriately, and can make for a great "distraction" spell too. "Quick, mage, make that guard a Sex Magnet so we can slip past while he's being mobbed!"
I like it.

Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:15 pm

Hero

Father Goose wrote:
taalismn wrote:
Sex Magnet(Invocation)
Saving Throw: Standard for those of the same gender as the target, -4 for those of the opposite gender, -2 for those of the same general species-type as the target(such as, for humans, elves, dwarves, and ogres), +2 for those not of the same species/general type as the target.
Effects:

I can definitely see the applications of this as a curse! :D
This is potentially devastating if used appropriately, and can make for a great "distraction" spell too. "Quick, mage, make that guard a Sex Magnet so we can slip past while he's being mobbed!"
I like it.

The only complaint I have is that it's likely to **** off the LGBT+ers as being biased... Perhaps it should detect the 'victims' orientation, preferences, and take that into account rather then just assume everyone is hetero?

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:55 pm

Priest

Slight001 wrote:
[
The only complaint I have is that it's likely to **** off the LGBT+ers as being biased... Perhaps it should detect the 'victims' orientation, preferences, and take that into account rather then just assume everyone is hetero?

Or perhaps the caster can specify which genders are turned on, or leave it open-ended for 'EVERYBODY wants to make love to the target'.
Though, in that case, a bonus on the saving throw for sexual orientation might be a good idea, if the person so targeted is the opposite of your normal preference in a partner.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:03 pm

Hero

taalismn wrote:
Slight001 wrote:
[

Or perhaps the caster can specify which genders are turned on, or leave it open-ended for 'EVERYBODY wants to make love to the target'.
Though, in that case, a bonus on the saving throw for sexual orientation might be a good idea, if the person so targeted is the opposite of your normal preference in a partner.

Might not be a bad idea... gods my brain is still getting used to this mindset. I blame my niece for this. I was perfectly happy being my closet/passive sexist self before she started calling my out on it.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:59 pm

Priest

Slight001 wrote:
[
Might not be a bad idea... gods my brain is still getting used to this mindset. I blame my niece for this. I was perfectly happy being my closet/passive sexist self before she started calling my out on it.

Some days I'd just rather talk to my (gender-neutral) furniture....

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:03 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"
taalismn wrote:
Slight001 wrote:
[

Some days I'd just rather talk to my (gender-neutral) furniture....

Perhaps you could create a "Communicate with Furniture" spell to facilitate.

Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:11 pm

Priest

Father Goose wrote:

I think that's covered by 'Object Read'.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:56 am

Dungeon Crawler

taalismn wrote:
Father Goose wrote:

I think that's covered by 'Object Read'.

Nah, Object Read is sterile, clinical, boring. Think "imbues an inanimate object with voice and personality for the duration of the spell such that it can carry on a conversation." Maybe give it mental attributes that are variable, so sometimes it's an intelligent conversation, and sometimes it's like talking to your drinking buddies after a 30 pack.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:46 pm

Supreme Being

Animal Voyeur

This mini-ritual allows the caster to experience what a nearby animal senses. It is effectively a reduced version of Astral Projection, where the caster's consciousness leaves his own body and rides along with an animal. The caster sees, hears, smells, feels, and tastes what the animal experiences. If the animal has any psychic or other unique senses, the caster will also experience those. However, the caster has no control over the animal and is limited to merely observing. This spell is limited to animals, and does not work on monsters or the supernatural.

To activate this spell, the caster must meditate while concentrating on the animals around him. After 1D4 melees, he can attempt a connection to an animal of his choice. However, many animals will be spooked by the connection and instinctively resist it (roll a save versus magic). Mages who frequently connect to the same animal, such as a favorite pet, will find this resistance greatly reduced (GM's discretion).

Many mages find this spell useful in wilderness areas for detecting threats or scouting an area, even if they can't direct the animal.

Level: 3
Range: 50 feet, plus 10 feet per level of experience to establish connection. No range restriction after the connection is made.
Duration: 5 minutes per level of experience
Savin Throw: Standard save versus magic. GMs may choose to give the caster a bonus against frequently used animals, or eliminate it completely.
PPE: 8

Unread postPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:16 pm

Priest

Mack wrote:
Animal Voyeur

This mini-ritual allows the caster to experience what a nearby animal senses.

Many mages find this spell useful in wilderness areas for detecting threats or scouting an area, even if they can't direct the animal.

"So....what can you tell us about the place?"
"Not much, except that the guy's got some NASTY mousetraps."

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:27 pm

Knight

Unrusted
It a Ritural that allow the caster to Unruseted any Metal weapon or armor.
:Cost 4 P.p.e
Range:touch
Do you PFrpg,s book that have Magic weapon attribute about impervious to rust

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:08 am

Priest

gaby wrote:
Unrusted
It a Ritural that allow the caster to Unruseted any Metal weapon or armor.
:Cost 4 P.p.e
Range:touch
Do you PFrpg,s book that have Magic weapon attribute about impervious to rust

There's an existing canon spell, Earth Warlock, 6th level, 'Mend Metal' that handles this quite well already. Works on SDC and MDC metals too.
Admittedly, it can only be cast by Earth Warlocks, but I'd house rule a version could be learned by regular mages, albeit at TWICE the PPE cost and HALF the amount of metal per level of experience that can be affected to keep it fair.

Rune weapons don't rust, and we can probably assume that most enchanted weapons and armor don't either. Even the Earth Elemental magic spell Rust doesn't affect magic armor and weapons, so we can safely assume that those objects are impervious to normal oxidation as well.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:24 am

Champion

I need a spell! Or at least I need a forum dweller to track one down for me please. This spell allows the character to never become physically lost. They always know where they are, where they're going, and the best route to get there. This same power or an Associated power allows them to locate anything within a set distance that will grow with experience. Does such a spell already exist? Could someone point me and its general direction? Thank you

Razzinold wrote:
And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:18 am

Priest

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:
I need a spell! Or at least I need a forum dweller to track one down for me please. This spell allows the character to never become physically lost. They always know where they are, where they're going, and the best route to get there. This same power or an Associated power allows them to locate anything within a set distance that will grow with experience. Does such a spell already exist? Could someone point me and its general direction? Thank you

I don't think there is one. There might be some OCCs(especially in the Rifter, I believe there was a Psychic traveller) who might have innate directional skills, but a general spell? One would have to be invented.

And finding anything within a set distance? That's a whole other can of magical worms.....would one have to have a sample of the object being sought? Previous familiarity with it? And I imagine it would be PPE-expensive because of its scope. The psychic power Object Read and the Temporal spell Remote Viewing might have some application to finding objects' general whereabouts(if you can recognize their surroundings) but they tend to be rather vague and fuzzy on that.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:46 pm

Priest

Circle of Enchanted Sleep(Ritual)
Type: Ritual
Duration: (Lesser) 1 month per level of experience
(Greater) 5 years per level of experience
Saving Throw: (Lesser) Standard
(Greater) None
PPE Cost: (Lesser) 50
(Greater) 300
Effects:
Circle of Enchanted Sleep is a rirual that puts the subject into a state of stasis. The caster draws a mystic circle(woth chalk, charcoal, ink, or other material) around the subject(typically restrained in the case of involuntary spell-subjects) and casts the spell, whereupon the person or being in the circle lapses into a deep sleep. This comatose state is so profound that the subject does not age, does not require food, water, exercise, and only a hundredth of the amount of air they would normally use while under the spell’s influence. The spell provides no otheer form of protection to the subject, so the Cicle is best set up in a secure location, such as a locked room, cave, or cell, where the sleeper is safe from the elements and disturbance.
Breaking the circle(easy enough to do; a simple swipe of a shoe can disturb the media used to draw the circle) breaks the spell, waking the subject within. Typically the awakened person will be loggy and disoriented, as if waking from a deep sleep(which they have) and be at HALF all skill proficiencies, and bonuses for 1d4 melees for every month they were under the influence of the Circle.
Note that mages and psychics do NOT regain spent PPE/ISP as per sleep rules while under the influence of a Circle of Enchanted Sleep, and must recharge their PPE/ISP through normal rest and meditation.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:22 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Circle of Enchanted Sleep(Ritual)
Type: Ritual
Duration: (Lesser) 1 month per level of experience
(Greater) 5 years per level of experience
Saving Throw: (Lesser) Standard
(Greater) None
PPE Cost: (Lesser) 50
(Greater) 300
Effects:
Circle of Enchanted Sleep is a rirual that puts the subject into a state of stasis. The caster draws a mystic circle(woth chalk, charcoal, ink, or other material) around the subject(typically restrained in the case of involuntary spell-subjects) and casts the spell, whereupon the person or being in the circle lapses into a deep sleep. This comatose state is so profound that the subject does not age, does not require food, water, exercise, and only a hundredth of the amount of air they would normally use while under the spell’s influence. The spell provides no otheer form of protection to the subject, so the Cicle is best set up in a secure location, such as a locked room, cave, or cell, where the sleeper is safe from the elements and disturbance.
Breaking the circle(easy enough to do; a simple swipe of a shoe can disturb the media used to draw the circle) breaks the spell, waking the subject within. Typically the awakened person will be loggy and disoriented, as if waking from a deep sleep(which they have) and be at HALF all skill proficiencies, and bonuses for 1d4 melees for every month they were under the influence of the Circle.
Note that mages and psychics do NOT regain spent PPE/ISP as per sleep rules while under the influence of a Circle of Enchanted Sleep, and must recharge their PPE/ISP through normal rest and meditation.
Aren't lesser and greater spells normally learned at different spell levels?

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:09 pm

Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
[]Aren't lesser and greater spells normally learned at different spell levels?

I considered it, but since this is the same spell, only with a short and a long duration, depending on how much power you pump into it at the onset, being the only differences, I figured grouping it under the same spell/level made more sense.

But questioned that way, that would hint that it would make more sense to simply state 'x PPE per X duration', wouldn't it?

Or maybe I would have to add a few features to a 'Greater' Circle of Sleep like 'Automatically dusts and removes cobwebs off the sleeper'? :D

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:36 pm

Supreme Being

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:

There's a Combat Magic spell that's similar. Merc Adventures, p10.

Post subject: Invented Spells
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:26 am

D-Bee

Comment: [url=https://www.craftsway.info/bedding/kids-bedding/dirt-bike-baby-bedding/]dirt bike crib set[/url]
Ive been working on and am employing the use of spells for defending myself that at its core functions like a mirror in that when something unwanted is directed toward what is protected it will be reflected and sent back to the casters.

My question being would something like this be breaking the code?

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:36 pm

Adventurer

Comment: "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79
"Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81
"Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
Are we talking about the heart of glass spell?

and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.