Some Dimensions Can't Support M.D.C. Physics?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Alejandro wrote:For someone who wants others to reread what he's wrote, you're not to big on reading your own stuff, are you?
I don't need to reread it. I wrote it.
If you are going to accuse me of something, the onus is on you to prove it. If you are not going to prove it, admit your wrongdoing or at least sit quietly.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

lather wrote:
Alejandro wrote:For someone who wants others to reread what he's wrote, you're not to big on reading your own stuff, are you?
If you are going to accuse me of something, the onus is on you to prove it. If you are not going to prove it, admit your wrongdoing or at least sit quietly.

Whether or not the onus is on him depends on the motivations of the people involved.
If you care about your actions, and the question of how they affect other people, then it's on you to look into the matter yourself.
Because it's something that you care about, whether or not he proves his case.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Alejandro wrote:
lather wrote:

You DO need to reread it if you're going to go around telling people the same when you obviously didn't even remember what you wrote and instead decide to act like some wannabe intellectual douche.
I don't even know what this means. I'll try starting with a question.
How I obviously don't remember what I wrote?

Alejandro wrote:You claim to not be dismissive and then go "Take it. Leave it. I really don't care",
I do not care. That is not dismissive. If I dismiss something, I reject it. I did not reject anything. I simply offered something that could be taken or not.

Alejandro wrote:you then assume that players would not know about something so blatantly obvious and act insulting when someone calls you on it only to backtrack and say "oh, I meant the characters, not the players"
I did not backtrack. As Rallan correctly observed, I made a typo.
Either road, players do not necessarily now this rule.
Even if they do, the player characters do not.
And that opens the door for in-game reason(s).

Alejandro wrote:even though you insist on acting like a chump.
Increasing the number of personal insults does nothing productive. Consider a change of tactic.

Alejandro wrote: You have consistently failed to bring anything to the table beyond weak insults and a house rule as a defense for your support of a stupid idea.
Quote my insults.

Quote my house rule.

Quote my stupid idea.
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
lather wrote:

Whether or not the onus is on him depends on the motivations of the people involved.
If you care about your actions, and the question of how they affect other people, then it's on you to look into the matter yourself.
I read what I write. He says I don't. He's wrong. It's not more complex than that.
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Alejandro wrote:
lather wrote:Quote my insults.

You are aware that being insulting goes beyond just using words that are specific insults, right?
Yes.

Alejandro wrote:But sure, why not take the troll bait one last time.
What is troll bait? I am not sure I know what a troll is in this context.

Alejandro wrote:
They would not know that "all laws of physics are exactly the same".
Pay attention.

unless, of course, it is obvious you have not read what I have said.

admit your wrongdoing or at least sit quietly.
I am sorry you felt insulted.

Alejandro wrote:
Quote my stupid idea.

Read was written like you tell other people. I said in defense of a stupid idea, not your idea. The idea in question being the very subject of this thread regarding the mystical ability of various areas being able to handle MDC when MDC as technology was first seen and still displayed in the Rifts books as existing without the need for MDC magic. However, you're of the opinion that it needs no explanation and should simply be accepted just because it's written.
I disagree that I am of the opinion that it needs no explanation and should simply be accepted just because it is written.

I think it needs an explanation. I do not think it requires an explanation. In my opinion, this a matter of playstyle.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

lather wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
lather wrote:

I read what I write. He says I don't. He's wrong. It's not more complex than that.

Sure it is.
Either you're saying something that you don't see, or he's reading something into your posts that isn't there.
In either case, if clear communication is your goal, then you share some responsibility to try to figure out what's happening and why.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
lather wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
lather wrote:

Sure it is.
Either you're saying something that you don't see, or he's reading something into your posts that isn't there.
In either case, if clear communication is your goal, then you share some responsibility to try to figure out what's happening and why.
Have it your way and let's say that's why I asked him to back up his accusation, which is somerthing he should have to do without me asking. That's how accusations work.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

lather wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Either you're saying something that you don't see, or he's reading something into your posts that isn't there.
Have it your way and let's say that's why I asked him to back up his accusation, which is somerthing he should have to do without me asking. That's how accusations work.

Okay.
And do you believe that hostility is the right way to get helpful information out of him?

lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
lather wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Either you're saying something that you don't see, or he's reading something into your posts that isn't there.

Okay.
And do you believe that hostility is the right way to get helpful information out of him?
No, which is why I was not hostile.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

lather wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
lather wrote:

Okay.

You seem hostile to me, and presumably to Alejandro, and probably to some other people.

lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
lather wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
lather wrote:

Okay.

You seem hostile to me, and presumably to Alejandro, and probably to some other people.
That's unfortunate.

I mean, please, provide examples.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

lather wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:You seem hostile to me, and presumably to Alejandro, and probably to some other people.
That's unfortunate.

Well, right there starting off with "That's unfortunate" just makes it seem like you don't care how you come off to others. Kind of like saying, "That's your problem".

Also, there's the stuff that Alejandro already quoted:
Alejandro wrote:
Pay attention.

And your response to him on this was to put the burden of your actions on him, saying that you were sorry that he "felt insulted", which implies again that he's just being delusional and that you bear no responsibility for the impact of your words.

lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
lather wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:You seem hostile to me, and presumably to Alejandro, and probably to some other people.
That's unfortunate.

Well, right there starting off with "That's unfortunate" just makes it seem like you don't care how you come off to others. Kind of like saying, "That's your problem".
Sarcasm. That's something you're familiar with, I think.

Killer Cyborg wrote:Also, there's the stuff that Alejandro already quoted:
Alejandro wrote:
Pay attention.

And your response to him on this was to put the burden of your actions on him, saying that you were sorry that he "felt insulted", which implies again that he's just being delusional and that you bear no responsibility for the impact of your words.
I am sorry he felt insulted because I do not think these are insulting things to say. Perhaps my skin is thicker than his?

I'll try to tone it down for him so as to not be accused of being an idiot, a douche, or a chump.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

lather wrote:Sarcasm. That's something you're familiar with, I think.

Never heard of it.

Killer Cyborg wrote:And your response to him on this was to put the burden of your actions on him, saying that you were sorry that he "felt insulted", which implies again that he's just being delusional and that you bear no responsibility for the impact of your words.

I am sorry he felt insulted because I do not think these are insulting things to say. Perhaps my skin is thicker than his?

I'll try to tone it down for him so as to not be accused of being an idiot, a douche, or a chump.[/quote]

All you can do is try, but do try.
It's no fun when the mods get involved. :ok:

lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
lather wrote:Sarcasm. That's something you're familiar with, I think.

Never heard of it.
I swear that was you!

Killer Cyborg wrote:
I'll try to tone it down for him so as to not be accused of being an idiot, a douche, or a chump.

All you can do is try, but do try.
It's no fun when the mods get involved. :ok:
I do try.
If I wasn't trying, I'd be calling him a douche rather than the other way round. :ok:
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Let's see how I earned it.
You DO need to reread it if you're going to go around telling people the same when you obviously didn't even remember what you wrote and instead decide to act like some wannabe intellectual douche.

Yea, definitely deserved it :lol:

Pardon me if I don't take you seriously. Ever. :ok:
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

duck-foot wrote:heres good rule my gm used one time. i had a chrcter rift to HU from Rifts he was a CS spy. after i ran out of E-Clips for my MDC laser assualt rifle. i decided to get some E-clips from anothr contemporary HU Laser weapon. the Blasts after tht did SDC. i asked my GM why this was. he told me Because MDC E-clips are more profieciant at using power cells from thier tanks, that iswhy they are MDC and not SDC. well that could be true or not. the point is h gave an excellent reason why, and not just because it cant support MDC physics in theis world. my brother tried to use a plasma rifle from rifts. in order for it to work with MDC we actually had to tap into a city-wide (yes city-wide) transformer. my gms explination was that in the future those city-wide transformers will be scaled down considerabily, but still retain the equal amounts of power eventually becoming Rifts E-clips. well that might not be fesible, atleast has i said he didnt do a cop-out.
:ok: Just the sort of thing I had been talking about.

Did you have to turn the lights off on the entire city in order to hook up? I have no idea how these things work.
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

lather wrote:
duck-foot wrote:heres good rule my gm used one time. i had a chrcter rift to HU from Rifts he was a CS spy. after i ran out of E-Clips for my MDC laser assualt rifle. i decided to get some E-clips from anothr contemporary HU Laser weapon. the Blasts after tht did SDC. i asked my GM why this was. he told me Because MDC E-clips are more profieciant at using power cells from thier tanks, that iswhy they are MDC and not SDC. well that could be true or not. the point is h gave an excellent reason why, and not just because it cant support MDC physics in theis world. my brother tried to use a plasma rifle from rifts. in order for it to work with MDC we actually had to tap into a city-wide (yes city-wide) transformer. my gms explination was that in the future those city-wide transformers will be scaled down considerabily, but still retain the equal amounts of power eventually becoming Rifts E-clips. well that might not be fesible, atleast has i said he didnt do a cop-out.
:ok: Just the sort of thing I had been talking about.

Did you have to turn the lights off on the entire city in order to hook up? I have no idea how these things work.

The only problem with that is we know about how much energy is in e-clip from rifts conversion. Under the Engery expulsion power I believe.
Armorlord
Hero

Unread post by Armorlord »

The way my group has understood this rule is that the 'MDC compatible' dimensions support higher energy states than the non-MD worlds and have a higher overall ambient energy level. Though dealing with universes with differing physics has been standard procedure with me (and the core of my group got to know each other over reading Hyperspace by Dr. Michio Kaku followed by lively 'What if's that lead to a free-form game.) We had worked it out regarding the Megaversal system back in the day when figuring out why TMNT aliens had descriptively better tech, but at SDC levels.

Been a bit since we've bothered with it, but I would swear there has been an official blurb regarding equipment conversion that gave a somewhat better rate than 1/10th though. Blast it, I keep forgetting where I've read things these days..
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”