A thought on Armor Rating

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

teulisch
Explorer

Unread post by teulisch »

more acurately, if one area of armor should lose all its sdc/mdc, how would its loss affect the AR of the suit as a whole?

having an AR vs armor-peircing attacks be different than the main AR would be a usefull thing as well i think.

in your bullet vs bite... i think its more a weakness of the bite that matters. rather than make a rule on leather, make a rule on the zombie. just cause monster 1 cant bite through, has no effect on monster B being much worse.
verdilak
Adventurer

Unread post by verdilak »

Remember, that 1-4 misses automatically, so there would be no AR of 1-4 since it's impossible to actually hit the armour.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

verdilak wrote:Remember, that 1-4 misses automatically, so there would be no AR of 1-4 since it's impossible to actually hit the armour.

The only case where it might matter is with a large target where you can't actually miss, but where it still has some damage resistance.
The old Energy Field spell was listed as having an AR 4, for example.
It may well have been a typo, but I took it to mean that even when you couldn't actually MISS the thing, you still wouldn't damage it on a strike of 1-4.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

PFRPG their is a rule for this. Believe it is -1 if under 1/2 and -2 if under 1/4, but saying from memory so. Believe is it under the repairing armor section.
t0m
Adventurer
Comment: nothing left and nothing right

Unread post by t0m »

Mouser13 - almost :D when reduced to half of its sdc, its ar is -2, when reduced to one third its normal sdc, the ar is -2 again. (pf 2nd ed rules, page 271)

also, in the weapons & armor books there are resistance factors differentiating cut, chop, thrust and impact resistance for each type of armor.
t0m
Adventurer
Comment: nothing left and nothing right

Unread post by t0m »

gadrin - its the format all the weapon compendium books use (weapons & equipment, weapons &castles etc). its quite a bit different from the regular rules, its described as a 'comparative system' everything has numerical ratings which translate to dice (dagger damage = 1, short sword = 2 etc). its intended to be easily adapted to any system... its interesting to have a look at but i have never really bothered to try to use it.
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

U.S.Advanced Recon wrote:I belive if you start messin with dropping armor class your going to have to add defensive measures to your armor class. If you take something away from your PC's you need to give something back or the game just wont work and you'll have unhappy Players.

Example: a goblin strikes at a knight with a roll of 15, the knight tries to parry and gets a 10 to parry, well acording to palladium rules the goblin has hit an armor class of 15. I belive, if you are going to use degredating Armor Class rules, you should take into accound that the knight "deflected" 2/3 of the attack and then the goblin hit an AC of 5.

No you don't parry you don't deflect anything.Maybe you could -parry bonus if you want to improve AC a little bit.
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

t0m wrote:Mouser13 - almost :D when reduced to half of its sdc, its ar is -2, when reduced to one third its normal sdc, the ar is -2 again. (pf 2nd ed rules, page 271)

also, in the weapons & armor books there are resistance factors differentiating cut, chop, thrust and impact resistance for each type of armor.

Ar does degrade has it gets hit.
goodhometownboy
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by goodhometownboy »

i don't know if this is off topic or not but how do you guy and gals roll for AR? I have had some gms just us the natural roll? is that right or do you just use combined rolls and attacking rolls?
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

All strikes bonus added to roll.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

gadrin wrote:the other problem being, is if your combat rounds are already long and complex, you're just making it harder on yourself as a GM.

of course if you've got a group of players who don't fudge things and are willing to work with you, then it might work better.
:ok:

:D Hey, Corn, can you come over Saturday Night?? We're going to spend the entire evening rolling a single combat session with all of our added rules. So....whaddaya say??

:erm: "I'll pass, thanks."

:D
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

Unread post by dragon_blaze_99 »

I normal drop the AR at 25%,50%,75%,80%,90% and 95% of the total SDC being destroyed each time decreasing by one so up to - 6 at 95% i have played with ib going do one more for each % after 95 but that was to much work and slowed things down a lot

Dragon_Blaze
The mind is the gateway to the future
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle

Return to “G.M.s Forum”