Advice sought for Sci-Fi Campaign

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Devjannz
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Devjannz »

I would recommend one of the following:

Robotech

RIFTS (specifically the Dimension books that deal with Phase World and the 3 galaxies)

Heroes Unlimited

Have fun.
"Hurry, were running out of time!"

"Cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite; Zathras is finite; This....is wrong tool.

Susan Ivonnova and Zathras, Babylon 5 'War Without End'
Devjannz
Dungeon Crawler

Gizbotvas wrote:Thank you Dev, I played Robotech for awhile and I liked it, but it wasn't the interstellar spaceship adventure source I need. Same with Heroes Unlimited, though they have a fair robot sourceguide in that one.

I have never played RIFTS, though I know that is probably blasphemy in these forums, I choose to play modern-day detective mysteries, action-movie, buddy-cop kind of rpg. (think Tango and Cash, hehe).

So when you say RIFTS Dimension books, would you please be more specific. I will gladly purchase needed materials, but need some direction. Is "Phase World and the 3 galaxies" the name of a book?

Check the Palladium web site for which books deal with Phase World and the 3 Galaxies there are a few(that is the easiest way).

"Cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite; Zathras is finite; This....is wrong tool.

dragon_blaze_99
Hero

Unread post by dragon_blaze_99 »

if your looking for SDC space ship the AU:galaxy guide is the best of MDC anything phase world
The mind is the gateway to the future
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i'd stick to Aliens Unlimited and AU: Galaxy Guide. it would be the most compatable with N&SS.

it is probably close enough to traveller for your friends to adapt quickly too. though i'm not too familiar with traveller, just what little i've seen on the net.

the phase world books could be useful, but the setting is MDC and very star warsish, which may not be your groups preference.

robotech is ok, but doesn't really deal with space travel much.

and for the love of Nxla stay away from Mutants in orbit, it was a good idea but horrific execution.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Proseksword
Adventurer

Unread post by Proseksword »

I'm also going to suggest the Phase World Books for RIFTs, which are basically a stand-alone setting. I'm pretty sure all the Dimension Books from 2-10 cover the Three Galaxies/Phase World setting.

It's not exactly hard Sci-Fi, but few game settings are, and I think it would have a bit of a Traveller feel to it.
Devjannz
Dungeon Crawler

Misfit KotLD wrote:Also, if you can find it, Rifts: Manhunter is a good space setting. Try E-bay or Amazon.

I should have remembered that considering I have it and all.

wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Unread post by wolfsgrin »

glitterboy2098 wrote:i'd stick to Aliens Unlimited and AU: Galaxy Guide. it would be the most compatable with N&SS.

it is probably close enough to traveller for your friends to adapt quickly too. though i'm not too familiar with traveller, just what little i've seen on the net.

the phase world books could be useful, but the setting is MDC and very star warsish, which may not be your groups preference.

robotech is ok, but doesn't really deal with space travel much.

and for the love of Nxla stay away from Mutants in orbit, it was a good idea but horrific execution.

Mutants in orbit as a whole wasn't very good. But its a good resource. You have space stations, space craft, mutant insects, and VR bots, some very cool concepts to play with.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”