open rpg

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: open rpg

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Hagan Lonovich wrote:how is this site? are there any better ones? I have a great epic that is coming along nicely and we are moving it to online partially, we are just shopping around for a good method for this.

it's a great program! Does everything, a very advanced diceroller that can do complex math functions, a good chat system, and the nodes are just terrific for keeping everything organized. it's an online gamers dream :)
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
NovenTheHero
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by NovenTheHero »

Im not a big fan of it, although I have it. I rather do my online gaming on my IRC server.
My Forums
Image Image
My 5 gallon batch of Traditional Mead and my 5 1 gallon batches of Melomel (Blueberry, Strawberry, Peach, Stawberry-Peach, and Mixed Berry)
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Unread post by wolfsgrin »

i have very limited knowledge about how to use the program, but the die roller and chatroom is pretty awesome. And the fact that there's quite a bit more tools that i'm trying to learn (not computer savy, at all!!! :oops: )
makes it even better.
AllMightyRCB
Wanderer

Unread post by AllMightyRCB »

I think openrpg is the best for online rpgs.
NovenTheHero
Dungeon Crawler

People these days are spoiled. Back in the day all we had was either the Palladium java thingy or IRC. Guess I stick with IRC since I have so much time and actual money invested in it for gaming...I pay for my own IRC server =P
My Forums
Image Image
My 5 gallon batch of Traditional Mead and my 5 1 gallon batches of Melomel (Blueberry, Strawberry, Peach, Stawberry-Peach, and Mixed Berry)
verdilak
Adventurer

Unread post by verdilak »

I like openrpg, but it can be buggy, kick you off, disconnect you ect. But puch comes to shove, for being free, and with the things it can go (add,subtract, multiply, divide dice rolls easily; a map area where you can draw out exactly wehre things are happening, ect.) you can't beat it, at least, not yet.
BillionSix
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: All I need is a warm bed, a kind word, and unlimited power.

Unread post by BillionSix »

I use OpenRPG all the time, and I think it works great.

The other members of my group are all more computer literate than me, and complain endlessly that it uses a program called Python, which apparently sucks.

I don't know enough about computers to know that Python sucks, so for me, it doesn't.

Brian
All I need is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power.
NovenTheHero
Dungeon Crawler

Josh Hilden wrote:I like the Game Table program.

If your talking about the program Im thinking you are, Its a neato program, just not cross-platform, so I cant use it. Atleast OpenRPG has a linux client =).
My Forums
Image Image
drakinn
Explorer

Is it hard to start up?

Unread post by drakinn »

I have friends all over this might be something that could work. is it easy to use? I am good with computers but I wonder about the bells and whistles.
Skilled Warriors of old
Their wariness was as that of one crossing a river in winter;
Their caution was as that of one in fear of all around;
Their gravity was as that of a guest
Their relaxation was as that of ice at the melting point

Tao Te Ching
verdilak
Adventurer

Re: Is it hard to start up?

Unread post by verdilak »

drakinn wrote:I have friends all over this might be something that could work. is it easy to use? I am good with computers but I wonder about the bells and whistles.

Its simple, dl 3 programs and start it up. Choose a server, create a room with or without a password, and you are all set.
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

I personally like OpenRPG. It alows me to play with friends in Europe as well as locally.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
BillionSix
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: All I need is a warm bed, a kind word, and unlimited power.

Unread post by BillionSix »

nameneeded wrote:
NovenTheHero wrote:People these days are spoiled. Back in the day all we had was either the Palladium java thingy or IRC. Guess I stick with IRC since I have so much time and actual money invested in it for gaming...I pay for my own IRC server =P

Hmm... back in the day I had to walk to my friends house! Carrying heavy books! Many oif them! Not only that but I was expected to hand write a chacter sheet, roll dice by hand. As for creating a backup? Yea sure only if I wanted to either copy the entire sheet by hand or go the the library to use the copier.

:-P

And yes it was through the snow. Uphill. Both ways! With cardboard boxes for shoes!

hehe. I remember the stages. As a teenager, stage 1 was writing characters on loose leaf. Then, in my 20s, stage 2, I would photocopy out of the book. I worked at a place that had a photocopier, and sometimes, I would decide I needed copies in the middle of the night. So I would use my key to go there and make copies at 2 in the morning. Now I am in stage 3, the information age, where I just print out pdfs. Wish I had this technology when I was a teen, and still gaming more regularly.

Brian
All I need is a warm bed, a kind word and unlimited power.
desepchun
D-Bee

Unread post by desepchun »

Anybody remember the Boxed sets of Basic D&D? I had all four and sadly did not hold on to them. They came with a white crayon as well, but by the time I could afford to buy those boxed sets I alread had a couple sets of dice. So when I opened the set and saw this cheap orange D20 and a crayon...I felt so ripped off.

As for OpenRPG, I like it alot. My biggest problem with it was trying to find space to host map images. It has this feature where you can import your own maps and fog them out, letting the party explore as they go, but if you got no where to put your maps...you have to use the whiteboard effect. It does drop people sometimes and when they come back mini sizes will be off and sometimes the map won't be right...so it's not perfect, but the best thing for online playing I've found.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”