offensive dibolist

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

You cannot use any form of ranged or thrown wards.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
The ineffible GM
Explorer

Unread post by The ineffible GM »

Well Nekira, your response pretty much sums up the intent of all the rules regarding the activation of runes.
Personally, I'm all for finding ways around the actual rules in order to work within the system, but finding new ways to put it to use. For example, I think that what is being suggested here is a very nice attempt at woring around the actual rules about activation of runes.
A nice attempt, but no, I don't think it will work. If nothing else, if this is meant to be in a belt of some kind I will guess that you're constructing some form of 'gun', where the jarring act of sending the metal canister flying would alone activate the ward where it is. Secondly, if the metal canister strikes a target, that impact alone would be enough force to activate the ward. As well, even if the paper DID slide out, how would you make sure that the target touched the actual run, and not just the edge of the rolled up paper?

Too many ways for it to fail.
Wards are very finicky because they are single use only.
UNLESS...you can make a permanency ward. THAT'S the way to go. Your wards cannot harm yourself, but will activate with every jarring impact, but with the permanency ward will never disappear afterwards. So the key to to make permanency wards with whatever other effects you want, and place them on a metal sphere to throw at people, or better still on swords for you to wield in battle. The other thing you'd have to keep in mind though is you'd want effects that aren't flashy and don't have area effects, otherwise they WILL be going off as you walk around with them or as you throw them, and while the blast might not hurt you, you're being constantly surrounded by fireballs, which is a bad thing.
So go find a demon, kill it, and grind up it's bones.
"Otaru taught me that blue skies mean happiness"
- Lime, from Sabre Marionette J, episode twenty five
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

I wouldn't allow it. It's such a goddamn lame, obvious, and cheesy attempt at rules lawyering your way around a retriction.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”