Stat Buying

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

GhostKnight
Adventurer

Unread post by GhostKnight »

And people complain about Palladium's rules being confusing...
Recovery? Only for the rich and 20 counties.
Anti-Nuclear = Anti-Salmon
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

Brain hurts.

Can't figure out why this would be better. Really, 4d6 drop lowest has always worked out fine for me.
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

Yes, I would have to say that the Push, Pull, Tap, and Pip ISN'T a better stat system then rolling the stats the original way. It is way to confusing.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Ugg Heck NO...
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
The ineffible GM
Explorer

Unread post by The ineffible GM »

It's simple for use with humans, gets complicated with other die roll types.

I think that I'll stick with "roll up 3 sets of stats, pick one of the three" but that's not to say your system doesn't have merit.

I really like the set-up for human characters...not so much for the non-human ones. I think you could do something simpler that would be just as effective for the non-humans.
"Otaru taught me that blue skies mean happiness"
- Lime, from Sabre Marionette J, episode twenty five
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

Keldane wrote:I don't know what everyone else is on about, everything was explained well enough for me to understand. :lol:

I think I'll actually use this in the campaign I'm working on - not at the start, mind, but the nature of the campaign will allow for stat alterations along the way...

Oh, it made my brain hurt, but I understood the mechanic.

I said I didn't understand why it was better.

It's really an expansion of guidelines that were printed in the D&D Basic rules back in the 70s. Decrease a stat by 2 to increase a second stat by 1. Naming things pips and pushes etc makes me think more like its for a drinking game...Just don't know why the effort goes into making a much more complicated mechanic. Of course, if a player aske me, "I've got this character concept that I think would be cool, but my ME needs to be X." I look at and if it's not going to hurt the game, I say, "Well, change it then. Let's have fun."
~Xar~

Xar
Rifter® Contributer
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

On the other hand, keep posting stuff and don't let an old fart like me keep you from having fun, if you like that sort of thing. :ok:
~Xar~

Myrrhibis
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Myrrhibis »

I understood your method... but I have found that rolling 4D6 (or +1Dx) and droppig the lowest tends to work well, esp for PCs & notable NPCs.

PB is complicated enough/take long enough to draw up a character, that I don't think a stat procedure like you propose helps it.

Also, it too easily allows for Min/Max'ing, which unless you're playing a "high-power"/munchkin campaign, just doesn't seem as much fun. I LIKE seeing the "dumb" character of the group be the most bad-@ss fighter once given his goal/directions, and the brainiac of the group being the 'weak-willed' one, regardless of how many skills he takes.

Just my 2cents - YMMV
Myrrhibis
--the VAwitchy Gamer Chick
Help my eggs & hatchlings to grow to hatch: Get your own @ Dragcave.net

Return to “G.M.s Forum”