Horror Factor

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dragon_blaze_99
Hero

Unread post by dragon_blaze_99 »

HR is a supernatural fear, it's not base on look at all but the presents of the creature that's why some one can have a HF of 13 and still have a PB score over 10 etc. also thats why god's and other beings can hide it from mortals. IMHO
The mind is the gateway to the future
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

walross1978 wrote:
dragon_blaze_99 wrote:HR is a supernatural fear, it's not base on look at all but the presents of the creature that's why some one can have a HF of 13 and still have a PB score over 10 etc. also thats why god's and other beings can hide it from mortals. IMHO

I don't understand your post at all. You are saying it is the presence of the creature that gives the HR. If appearance has nothing to do with HR then a God in human form or a Dragon in human form or a Undead slayer changed into a lizard mage should have the bas HR of their race/profession.

So why would you say God's and other beings can hide it from mortals if it is the presence of the creature that gives off the HR factor?

Allow me to attempt a clarification of Horror Factor. While it CAN be based on appearance, it can also be based on the particular aura exuded by a supernatural being. As many extremely powerful beings have the ability to alter that aspect of themselves, they can choose to appear normal and walk amongst mortals without them cowering in fear or staring in awe.

To answer your question, I would say the the higher HF would override the previous HF. It just keeps things simpler.
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

Unread post by dragon_blaze_99 »

walross1978 wrote:
dragon_blaze_99 wrote:HR is a supernatural fear, it's not base on look at all but the presents of the creature that's why some one can have a HF of 13 and still have a PB score over 10 etc. also thats why god's and other beings can hide it from mortals. IMHO

I don't understand your post at all. You are saying it is the presence of the creature that gives the HR. If appearance has nothing to do with HR then a God in human form or a Dragon in human form or a Undead slayer changed into a lizard mage should have the bas HR of their race/profession.

So why would you say God's and other beings can hide it from mortals if it is the presence of the creature that gives off the HR factor?

don't worry I think I confused myself too
The mind is the gateway to the future
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle
jade von delioch
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by jade von delioch »

i would say yes because it seems that the horror is based on the creatures appearance but i would half this. the reason for this is because if you read the description of horror factor it says, " horror factor represents either the hideous appearance of the monster or its overwhelming aura of evil and power (or a combination of the two.)"

To a human they would be hideous and their reputation does proceed them. i would put it at about a horror factor of 10-13..

sound good?
member of-Our Lady of the Boundless Ammo
D20 is the pollution of the game industry.. do not buy into the pollutant, buy the cool rich taste of palladium.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Actually it seems to be a bit of both. Some critters get a Horror Factor because they just ooze an aura of terror or awe or whatever. Other completely non-supernatural beings get a Horror Factor purely because they look totally badass and anyone who's in the same room as something that monstrously ugly (or magnificently dangerous-looking) is gonna do a double-take.

And some even seem to get it from a combination of the two. All Nightbane have a Horror Factor, for example, even if their morphus form is totally hawt. But some morphus form traits give bonuses to the character's base HF, and those traits are almost universally the ones that make the character look more disgusting or more dangerous.
Eryk Stormbright
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Eryk Stormbright »

Warwolf wrote:
walross1978 wrote:

Allow me to attempt a clarification of Horror Factor. While it CAN be based on appearance, it can also be based on the particular aura exuded by a supernatural being. As many extremely powerful beings have the ability to alter that aspect of themselves, they can choose to appear normal and walk amongst mortals without them cowering in fear or staring in awe.

To answer your question, I would say the the higher HF would override the previous HF. It just keeps things simpler.

Well said my friend! :ok:
I am master of all I see.... and I see Everything.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”