Burn Damage

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Nope sorry nothing in canon is really that detailed when it comes to damage as it relates to reality.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
verdilak
Adventurer

Unread post by verdilak »

Thinyser wrote:Nope sorry nothing in canon is really that detailed when it comes to damage as it relates to reality.

Yea, I as looking for this information a few weeks ago and couldnt find it anywhere. It's just not there. Now, I have house ruled that any damage that is SDC is 1st degree. If the damage depletes the SDC and moves on to HP, then its 2nd degree, and if that damage is only HP, then it's 3rd degree.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

verdilak wrote:
Thinyser wrote:Nope sorry nothing in canon is really that detailed when it comes to damage as it relates to reality.

Yea, I as looking for this information a few weeks ago and couldnt find it anywhere. It's just not there. Now, I have house ruled that any damage that is SDC is 1st degree. If the damage depletes the SDC and moves on to HP, then its 2nd degree, and if that damage is only HP, then it's 3rd degree.

How would you determine if its only HP?
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

verdilak
Adventurer

Thinyser wrote:
verdilak wrote:

Pretty simple, if the guy has 10 SDC and 10 HP, then if the burn does 5 damage, it would be a 1st degree and he would be down to 5 SDC and 10 HP. If he got a burn that did 6 damage, it would be 2nd degree and he would be down to 9 HP. If he got another burn that dealt 3 damage, it would be a 3rd degree burn and he would be down to 6 HP.

Simple, No?
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

verdilak wrote:
Thinyser wrote:
verdilak wrote:

Pretty simple, if the guy has 10 SDC and 10 HP, then if the burn does 5 damage, it would be a 1st degree and he would be down to 5 SDC and 10 HP. If he got a burn that did 6 damage, it would be 2nd degree and he would be down to 9 HP. If he got another burn that dealt 3 damage, it would be a 3rd degree burn and he would be down to 6 HP.

Simple, No?

Yeah simple, and totally not how burns should work... so :ok: for being as close to what canon would be as you could be :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though by that way if you got scalded for 10 damage in the morning by dumping a pot of boiling water on your leg then took a long walk on the beach in the afternoon and got your sholders all sunburnt for another 5 damage (now mostly into HP because your SDC hasn't come back from that morning) your sunburn would be 3rd degree!... It just doesn't work that way. Sunburns no matter HOW bad they are never beyond 2nd degree (and even that is an EXTREME case)

There really is no good way to do burns in a game that I know of so though your's isn't realistic its as good as i've seen.

Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Pfhreak wrote:Are there even any rules for dealing with burns at all? (How much damage would be taken from exposure to a certain size of fire or temperatures over a certain level, for example.) There's stuff for blood loss and pain, but not anything that I can find for burns. Which I find odd, since there's spells like Ignite Fire and Spontaneous Combustion that can be used to start fires, to say nothing of starting fires the boring way. I guess none of the Palladium GMs have ever bothered with the tired cliche of giving players a burning building to rescue people from. ;)
Nope, not that I've ever seen atleast.

leonmallett
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by leonmallett »

What about more general environmental damage? Things like extreme cold and so on?
HU2 fan.
verdilak
Adventurer

EPIC wrote:
leonmallett wrote:What about more general environmental damage? Things like extreme cold and so on?

i don't know about Rifts off the top of my head but in PFRPG there are extreme environmental effects in both Northern Hinterlands and the Balgor Wastelands.

But that deals with exposure and how much water you need to have... no burn damages.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Burn Damage

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Pfhreak wrote:Are there any rules dealing with burn damage, i.e. "X points of damage from fire would produce a first degree burn, Y points a second degree, and Z points a third degree"? I've rifled through my Rifts and PFRPG books, and the Rifts GM Guide with no luck.

The thing is, it would vary from person to person.

To a normal person with 14 HP and 10 SDC, a 11 point burn would be a 3rd degree burn.
To a Juicer with 50 HP and 400 SDC, an 11 point burn would be a very minor burn.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
verdilak
Adventurer

Re: Burn Damage

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Pfhreak wrote:Are there any rules dealing with burn damage, i.e. "X points of damage from fire would produce a first degree burn, Y points a second degree, and Z points a third degree"? I've rifled through my Rifts and PFRPG books, and the Rifts GM Guide with no luck.

The thing is, it would vary from person to person.

To a normal person with 14 HP and 10 SDC, a 11 point burn would be a 3rd degree burn.
To a Juicer with 50 HP and 400 SDC, an 11 point burn would be a very minor burn.

Which is why I have my rules for Burns.
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from overseas

Unread post by mobuttu »

leonmallett wrote:What about more general environmental damage? Things like extreme cold and so on?

Extreme environmental cold effects and how to deal with them are treated at Rifts: Canada.
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

EPIC wrote:

i don't know about Rifts off the top of my head but in PFRPG there are extreme environmental effects in both Northern Hinterlands and the Balgor Wastelands.

Don't remember if it is/was in R:Russia, but it is in R:Canada - complete with a windchill chart I believe.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

This message has been moved to the GM's Forum, where the topic is more applicable and appropriate. If you have a problem with how this post was handled please direct all inquires to deific.nmi@gmail.com, including the url to the post in question.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Return to “G.M.s Forum”