double life?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

should players be allowed to play more than one charecter ?

yes
15%
no
17%
its according to the player .
67%

Total votes: 52

demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

Depends on the player and the group. Smaller groups are more likely to actually need extra characters per player because I have minimal npc contributions. Highly skilled players might even be able to play several characters in a larger group and I have been known to have them play non-"storyline" NPCs from time to time while the group is in town.
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

It should not only based on the player, but the group, game-style, and GM as well. In my original Rifts group, a couple of my players had as many as four characters, sometimes playing as many as three of them in a single sitting. That was good as it gave us a great degree of diversity for accomplishing missions (merc company) and allowed the players to test out a variety of classes and outlooks. However, it did tend to mire combat and garnered less focus on individual characters.

So, for my HU2 campaign, I limited them to ONE character to get them to invest more time and creativity into the back story, attitude, etc. Both campaigns have run marvelously (though we are currently on hiatus while I shift them to PBP format), but have very different styles. :)
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

sawg138 wrote:
Warwolf wrote:It should not only based on the player, but the group, game-style, and GM as well. In my original Rifts group, a couple of my players had as many as four characters, sometimes playing as many as three of them in a single sitting. That was good as it gave us a great degree of diversity for accomplishing missions (merc company) and allowed the players to test out a variety of classes and outlooks. However, it did tend to mire combat and garnered less focus on individual characters.

So, for my HU2 campaign, I limited them to ONE character to get them to invest more time and creativity into the back story, attitude, etc. Both campaigns have run marvelously (though we are currently on hiatus while I shift them to PBP format), but have very different styles. :)

This guy might know something about GMing. :D

Nope, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. :P
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Braden Campbell

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

I said yes, as in, if it happens I won't raise hell about it.

In my current Phase World game, characters from two different plotlines have come together for a shared cause. Thus, at least two of my players now have two active characters: Tim, who's playing a Spacer Captain and a Cosmo-Knight, and Roland, who has an Operator and a Promethean Time Master.

The trick is not have this happen very often, and for the Players to know when one of their characters has to stay on the ship, run repairs on the computer, or otherwise take a back seat.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
t0m
Adventurer
Comment: nothing left and nothing right

Unread post by t0m »

in our pf campaign we are amassing a bit of a following of npcs. im thinking of doing a few 'b-team' games where we play as our underlings. we have also had a few times where the players get to steer npcs that join our group unexpectedly...(like when we recruited the pseudo-demons in the place of magic, everyone got to play one along side their characters). im not sure if i would let them roll up another full time character to steer though, unless one of the two was mostly 'on the ship doing repairs' or otherwise out of the picture most of the time.

im also considering doing solo quests where one player (say the psi healer) gets a job on his own and the rest of the group plays the npcs in that job (he gets hired to have a look at some kid whos possessed, the rest of the players play the possessed kid, his parents, the evil mage etc) in a one night one off.
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

I think your pole should include

"It should be up to the GM!" Since the Gm creates the parameters for what he'll allow into his game. :)
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Simple rules;
1) How many players in the group? If over 5, then odds are "NO", unless there is a major gap in skill sets (all heavy weapons teams suck if they are confronted with cerebral puzzles).
2) Can the player even handle ONE character? If no..then definately "NEIN!!!!!"
3) Will you as the GM, be able to keep the two PC's from the same person seperate in your mind?
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Voted no because most of the time people have enouph to do playing one char.

But I woudl of voted , Deppending on the player, if it had ben presented. Becasue some players can handle it.

Then there are those games where you as the GM expcet that half or more of the chars will Die, you as the GM might direct the players to make multiple chars to play so when one (or more) of them die, they will still have somechar to play.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

I voted No as I have not yet GMed multiple characters per player. I won't rule it out as a possibility, but I have yet to come across a game session or group that I thought it would be good for. We have enough players in our game now; 5 regulars, one more coming back after family comitments, and possible two newbs. I'm gonna run outta chairs! :D
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Depends on the player.

I have some players who are quite capable of running two characters but don't.

Some players have two characters.

There are some players I KNOW would be unable to handle two or more characters.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

bob the desolate one wrote:
asajosh wrote:I voted No as I have not yet GMed multiple characters per player. I won't rule it out as a possibility, but I have yet to come across a game session or group that I thought it would be good for. We have enough players in our game now; 5 regulars, one more coming back after family comitments, and possible two newbs. I'm gonna run outta chairs! :D

ahh you voted no to enforce your choice to not let me run two :P

Thats not true at all, we have enough players busy trying to plot against aand kill each other, we don't need one player trying to "kill himself" when it becomes convenient. :lol:
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
Snuffy
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Snuffy »

Don't tell me he wants to play an Alpha & Beta AI now instead of the Veritech AI. :lol:

I voted it's dependant on the player.

It's also dependant on the GM. What I mean by this for one example: will you be able to track the experience points each character deserves? Something only you can answer for yourself.
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Snuffy wrote:Don't tell me he wants to play an Alpha & Beta AI now instead of the Veritech AI. :lol:

I voted it's dependant on the player.

It's also dependant on the GM. What I mean by this for one example: will you be able to track the experience points each character deserves? Something only you can answer for yourself.

No its me who wanted the Veritech TI (transferred intel) for a possible back up in Bob's campaign. Bob wants to use two characters simultaneously in my campaign (group meets 2x a month and we trade off). :D
Carl

Kelorin
Adventurer
Location: Aboard the USS Lexington, flagship of the New Navy Atlantic Fleet

Unread post by Kelorin »

I'd say that you still have to be careful with it. I found that players will tend to favor one of characters being played over the other, so that any good ideas the player comes up with like planning or puzzle-solving will attributed to the favored character. The back-up character may occasionally be used as 'shielding' for the favored character.
Apollo Okamura wrote:Kelorin WINZ!! :-)
TechnoGothic wrote:Kelorin WINZ!!
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

I've allowed people to play multiple characters quite often. The biggest pitfall of it I've found is making sure the real life person doesn't go too softball on his two characters (they're close buddies) or that he doesn't make them mortal enemies.

My personal favorite time it's happened is when I allowed two rather gifted players run their regular characters but also run the two sentient AI's of a modified Robotech Cyclone -- they were competing with each other and with a third player's character's wife for the player's affections and attention. It was unbelievably hilarious.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
leonmallett
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by leonmallett »

Pretty conclusive polling - it depends on the players (well conclusive with a very small sample size). I think we mostly knew that, but it is nice to see the thoughts of others on the matter.
HU2 fan.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

One player = One character / no more no less

I find that players can barely remember to roleplay with one character, let alone more than one.

And never, never permit the GMPC to exist! That's the path to madness.
Eryk Stormbright
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Eryk Stormbright »

i've ran games with my old group that each one ran 2 or more skins, it really depends on the game, the GM, and the players. if the players are good enough, then cool. the GM has to know what he's doing.. runing that many PCs isn't easy depending on the game.
I am master of all I see.... and I see Everything.
leonmallett
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by leonmallett »

Eryk Stormbright wrote:i've ran games with my old group that each one ran 2 or more skins, it really depends on the game, the GM, and the players. if the players are good enough, then cool. the GM has to know what he's doing.. runing that many PCs isn't easy depending on the game.

It can also depend on campaign type. In a Vietnam war supers campaign (don't ask!) my friend and I co-GM'ed we had each player create two characters to give the sense of a squad. In each session the player would opt to concentrate primarily on one character as their lead for the session, but still running the second. Even with fatalities or serious injury (which happened quite a lot) each player always had at least one character in the game.
Last edited by leonmallett on Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
HU2 fan.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”