How to help a munchkin

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Figure out what you want to do in play, as a group.

If you just want to play and whatever happens, happens, there's no point asking advice - what you want is whatever happens.

Sorry, I'm being a bit cruel - to many people don't want to think about what they actually want to do in play.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: How to help a munchkin

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Neo_Jesus_Sage wrote:Me and my friends have all recently picked up Rifts. Now i am the only one in the group with any experence. however because of this they all listen to me and wont think for themselfs which really hurts when they gm. now what i need to know is a few things honistly.

A) how do i get them to work on there own and read the rules and look into things but at the same time not be totally annoyed with the suckyness of there games.

B) how do i keep them from munckining habits and or from Over the top gming habits

C) the final question i am somewhat of a munchkin myself and i like to lead by example so what are some steps i can take to fix this so i set a positive example for my players/gms/friends to follow.

I'm all in all trying to better myself as a player/gm and help my friends learn as well so how should i go about this??

Cattle Prod.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
t0m
Adventurer
Comment: nothing left and nothing right

Unread post by t0m »

Necronomicus - "I soon had a waiting list for those that wanted to look through my books"

i shed a tear for your future lost/damaged books :D

as for munchkins...i just make sure the group has a good idea of what they want before they make their characters. i always push for balance too (fighter, mage thief healer etc) so everyone has a specialty that no one else can do as good as them. that way everyone always has a job, and everyone is 'the best' at something in the group...
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Neo_Jesus_Sage wrote:No i understand exactly were you are coming from. however my friends when they Gm constantly complain about the power level of my chars. however mind you half the time they are nothing un normal i am just very creative. i wish they could just be as creative. i also have the problem of overshadowing them and ruining there fun. i am really trying not to do that but its hard not to use my full power.....i just think the group would benefit alot if i could tone it down a bit. i just dont know how to go about it

Imagine you were writing a comic book together - how would you make sure you don't control more than your share all the time?

The problem with powerful or seemingly powerful characters is that even if you don't want control, other players have to take into account that you could still take control.

Perhaps some 'mute' button for your characters, where some event drops them down to weak, normal human levels. And co-incidentally, if you had three other players, about 3/4 of the time he's at normal human levels (the remaining quarter is your 'turn', as you might have guessed)
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

1 speak with your newb GM. Find out how you can help him before you game and give him some tips

2 Help him develope pre gen PCs that aren't ubery

3 KISS-start small, like defending a village as your B O O. from raiders or DBs, the coalition etc. Start them with nothing or nigh nothing and then build them up along with the monsters. Keep track of ammo rations etc. Nothing says you are not a munchkin like hunger pains and an empty magazine
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”