prone

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

jade von delioch
Dungeon Crawler

prone

Unread post by jade von delioch »

is there a rule for being prone while in combat? i can not seem to find it.
member of-Our Lady of the Boundless Ammo
D20 is the pollution of the game industry.. do not buy into the pollutant, buy the cool rich taste of palladium.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Because there are one. Mechanics-wise, it makes no difference if your laying prone or standing upright wearing red paint.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

A GM is always encouraged to add or subtract penalties/bonuses for circumstances, and in some cases a Called Shot might be in order to hit the target, when the angle is such that you can't effectively shoot at his torso.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
The ineffible GM
Explorer

Unread post by The ineffible GM »

There are no rules about being prone.

I have generally assumed that it took an action to stand up and regain one's footing.

Killer Cyborg wrote:A GM is always encouraged to add or subtract penalties/bonuses for circumstances.

I for one have never felt 'encouraged' by any of Palladium's writings to create bonuses or penalties based upon the circumstances of the game. I have frequently felt it very necessary, and felt it greatly improved the game to do so, however everything in the writings of Palladium has always given me the impression that as a GM I should be free, and creative, as long as I don't mess with the rules. Because according to Palladium, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the rules.
"Otaru taught me that blue skies mean happiness"
- Lime, from Sabre Marionette J, episode twenty five
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

The ineffible GM wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:A GM is always encouraged to add or subtract penalties/bonuses for circumstances.

I for one have never felt 'encouraged' by any of Palladium's writings to create bonuses or penalties based upon the circumstances of the game. I have frequently felt it very necessary, and felt it greatly improved the game to do so, however everything in the writings of Palladium has always given me the impression that as a GM I should be free, and creative, as long as I don't mess with the rules. Because according to Palladium, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the rules.

They also say, ad nauseum, "If you don't like a rule, change it".

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

jade von delioch
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by jade von delioch »

thanks
member of-Our Lady of the Boundless Ammo
D20 is the pollution of the game industry.. do not buy into the pollutant, buy the cool rich taste of palladium.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

EPIC wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:They also say, ad nauseum, "If you don't like a rule, change it".

but at some point you are just better off writing your own rules from scratch. :P

True.
One of the major problems with their philosophy.

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
EPIC wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:They also say, ad nauseum, "If you don't like a rule, change it".

but at some point you are just better off writing your own rules from scratch. :P

True.
the only problem i see with this argument is I am being asked to pick from 2 extremes...either a system so mired in rules that I might as well be playing a board game, or a system so rules light as to be non-existent (this is the stance that is being projected when you complain about "rule zero.")
(shrug) maybe its just me being an old geezer; but I remember a time when players and GMs did not have to have "rule zero" defined (it was bloody well understood and expected to be used). now if someone espouses the use of "rule zero" they are ridiculed for it? Has the hobby fallen so far as to discourage free thought? for thats the impression I get from the people who speak about "rule zero" with such venom.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"

Unread post by Guest »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
EPIC wrote:

True.
the only problem i see with this argument is I am being asked to pick from 2 extremes...either a system so mired in rules that I might as well be playing a board game, or a system so rules light as to be non-existent (this is the stance that is being projected when you complain about "rule zero.")
(shrug) maybe its just me being an old geezer; but I remember a time when players and GMs did not have to have "rule zero" defined (it was bloody well understood and expected to be used). now if someone espouses the use of "rule zero" they are ridiculed for it? Has the hobby fallen so far as to discourage free thought? for thats the impression I get from the people who speak about "rule zero" with such venom.
Actually, you missed the argument entirely. You aren't being asked to pick between a rules heavy or rules light system. You're being told that you have to fix the rules as they exist. The problem being, if you have to go through and fix a bunch of rules, to the point where you'd be save time and effort just making up your own rules, why should you bother buying the product in the first place?
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
EPIC wrote:

True.
Actually, you missed the argument entirely. You aren't being asked to pick between a rules heavy or rules light system. You're being told that you have to fix the rules as they exist. The problem being, if you have to go through and fix a bunch of rules, to the point where you'd be save time and effort just making up your own rules, why should you bother buying the product in the first place?
well for one thing i fail to see this supposed break in the system...so no i didn't miss the point at all...there appears to be a belief that any one who claims to run a straight palladium system is immediately branded a liar and dismissed as a kook. I run a relatively House rules light Palladium game. i can count the total number of HRs i use on one hand...and guess what...only 1 is a response to an actual rule in game (the dreaded -10 rule? tossed it right out) the rest of my HRs are not "fixes" to a "broken" system but rules to facilitate my style of play. (seriously I wonder if those who claim the system is broken don't have a different play style?) The mechanics are designed for cinematic physics, If your wanting simulated real world physics then of course the rules are broken (the system wasn't designed to support that level of detail) (personally i find bogging down in the minutiae of reality a bit boring...i play games to escape reality not emulate it).
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

EPIC wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:well for one thing i fail to see this supposed break in the system...so no i didn't miss the point at all...there appears to be a belief that any one who claims to run a straight palladium system is immediately branded a liar and dismissed as a kook. I run a relatively House rules light Palladium game. i can count the total number of HRs i use on one hand...and guess what...only 1 is a response to an actual rule in game (the dreaded -10 rule? tossed it right out) the rest of my HRs are not "fixes" to a "broken" system but rules to facilitate my style of play. (seriously I wonder if those who claim the system is broken don't have a different play style?) The mechanics are designed for cinematic physics, If your wanting simulated real world physics then of course the rules are broken (the system wasn't designed to support that level of detail) (personally i find bogging down in the minutiae of reality a bit boring...i play games to escape reality not emulate it).

personally i don't think that reality should have anything to do with a game of fantasy and imagination. but verisimilitude definitely must be a part of the rule system for the game. PB has neither of these two things down very well i.m.o.

i have changed most of the rules so that skill percentages actually mean something rather than than just being an arbitrary number to roll against. i have taken out all the ridiculous redundancies that crop up all over the place. i have also streamlined combat so that it flows faster and makes more sense. i have removed MDC because there are too many things that are broken with MDC to list effectively here. all those silly little contradictions that crop up due to the poorly edited cut/paste style of writing have to be corrected. i won't even get started on how much i hate PB's horrendously bad habit of changing the rules without explanation and without correcting errata so they could be applied to what was previously taken as canon without having to scream "Holy Confusing Batman!"

i wouldn't say that house rules are restricted to wanting a style of play, i would say that it's more of a desperate need for functionality. but i digress.

a ±3 bonus to strike/parry/dodge seems appropriate for prone characters vs. standing characters.
on the prone aspect i agree plus or minus 3 does seem apropriate.

i think Epic on the functionality of the system we will have to disagree the game functions just fine for me (and out of curiosity....PM with what you mean by skill percentages meaning something....as far i can tell no skill system (in any game) goes beyond a simple pass/fail set up....
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
EPIC wrote:

True.

Exactly.
It's like an old car that you constantly have to repair.
After a while, you've replaced everything, and you'd be just as well off if you'd built the entire thing from scratch.

IIRC, this is how Kevin came up with the Palladium system in the first place, by trying to "fix" AD&D.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Shadow_otm wrote:
i won't even get started on how much i hate PB's horrendously bad habit of changing the rules without explanation and without correcting errata so they could be applied to what was previously taken as canon without having to scream "Holy Confusing Batman!

And we all know, D20 never ever changed their rules, did they? :P

Yes, they did.
But they did it by officially updating everything at once, and by free online errata, not by scattering new rules into virtually every book they published published over 2 decades, with no real concern for explaining how the new rules fit in with the rest of the game and previous books.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”