How do GM deal with whiney players

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

what in particular does he whine about?
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: How do GM deal with whiney players

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

AP78 wrote:Now I know there are post by player who want to complain about there GM or calling him a player killer.

SO I though this might be a interesting question since I have a player in my campaign who whines all the time about not getting his way ... I mean this guy could be Zeus himself with 100's of TW weapons and he would still complain about not having enough

I was just curious if other GM's have experienced something similar with players in there game and how they normally dealt with the player in a non violence way

It's not for everybody, but I've had good results with sticking heads pikes in the corner of the gaming room, as a warning to other whiny players.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Re: How do GM deal with whiney players

Killer Cyborg wrote:
AP78 wrote:Now I know there are post by player who want to complain about there GM or calling him a player killer.

SO I though this might be a interesting question since I have a player in my campaign who whines all the time about not getting his way ... I mean this guy could be Zeus himself with 100's of TW weapons and he would still complain about not having enough

I was just curious if other GM's have experienced something similar with players in there game and how they normally dealt with the player in a non violence way

It's not for everybody, but I've had good results with sticking heads pikes in the corner of the gaming room, as a warning to other whiny players.

Had a GM who kept the Scattergories D20 (which was a bit bigger than a golf ball) for chucking at the rowdy.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Nethel wrote:I take them aside and have words with the player about their conduct at the table. If after I have talked with them they continue being a problem. I ask them to leave the table for a few sessions. If after that they still do not get it. They are removed from that campaign.

Same here, couldn't have put it better.

What is the age range of the group and how old is the player in question, if I may ask?
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

You are not the first to ask and not the last to ask,....

Meet with them in private and figure out what the hell their problem is. What are they not getting. Sometimes it really is just a Munchie fix not being fed sometimes it's something else.
a) If it is the munchie bit then either 1) You give in, 2) You tell them it isn't going to happen or 3) beat them with a wiffle ball bat
b) If it is something else, either they don't feel their character is adequate (PC envy), feel like they get left behind or unused, or something to that effect. Try to reason with them or see what you can do different within reason to help them out OR 2) anally eviscerate him with a dull chainsaw and a supervac
Now if talking to him doesn't work, then either ask him to leave, vote him out or enjoy watching him squirm. Find out how the other players feel about it
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

generally i deal with whiney players by pointing at the door and saying
"leave"....
"no i am not kidding...leave".....
"this is your house? oh sorry".....
"guys im outa here"......
"some one wanna give me hand with my books?".....
"what? yeah we can get together at your house dave".....
"oh you mean tonite! sure...c'mon guys"....
"sorry frank adults only at daves"
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
KillWatch
Champion

That's why I very much dislike the Palladium experience table it gives Bupkis for RPing. It's way better than D&D but it's like asking would you rather I skin you alive or pull out your fingernails? Ok that's a bit harsh but if all the other players were getting 1K+ simply for role playing alignment, disposition, class, history etc and he ends up with 200 pts for taking care of a threat and using some skills, then he can complain all he wants and it won't do any good. If he wants the points then he plays the character
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

KillWatch wrote:That's why I very much dislike the Palladium experience table it gives Bupkis for RPing. It's way better than D&D but it's like asking would you rather I skin you alive or pull out your fingernails? Ok that's a bit harsh but if all the other players were getting 1K+ simply for role playing alignment, disposition, class, history etc and he ends up with 200 pts for taking care of a threat and using some skills, then he can complain all he wants and it won't do any good. If he wants the points then he plays the character

Giving out XP for Roleplaying is like giving out points in Basketball for dribbling.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Marrowlight
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:
KillWatch wrote:That's why I very much dislike the Palladium experience table it gives Bupkis for RPing. It's way better than D&D but it's like asking would you rather I skin you alive or pull out your fingernails? Ok that's a bit harsh but if all the other players were getting 1K+ simply for role playing alignment, disposition, class, history etc and he ends up with 200 pts for taking care of a threat and using some skills, then he can complain all he wants and it won't do any good. If he wants the points then he plays the character

Giving out XP for Roleplaying is like giving out points in Basketball for dribbling.

That should totally be worth points.

8-)

Marrowlight
Knight

Semisonic9 wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:That should totally be worth points.

8-)

It'd be like killing endless boars in WoW to get XP, or doing endless Backflips in Rifts to gain levels.

~Semi

no I meant the dribbling.

KillWatch
Champion

and that's why it shouldn't be flat. If they blow your friggan doors off with their RPing then they should get a LOT more than the guy with the two dimensional "I'm a juicer, I Kill Stuff"

so yeah let's take the juicrer. Sure it sounds like a good idea to be a juicer when you are young invulnerable and stupid or when you have no hope. But what if y ou do find hope? What if at year 4.5 you begint o notice your body isn't what it was and you realize your ticket is almost punched? What if you fall in love, find family you never knew you had, find friendship in your comrades... Where is the expressed internal dialogue about the emotional conflict of whether they should still be a juicer or do they go through the whole ordeal of De-Juicing and maybe dying for the chance to serve a far sighted goal

Is it a character or a playing peice. Is it just you with a JA-11 or is it something a bit more,...

So yes, it would be like getting points for dribbling if everyone dribbled. Some people are playing soccer while others are skeet shooting
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

AP78 wrote:
What is the age range of the group and how old is the player in question, if I may ask?

age range of the group is 16-19, he is 29 ....

Wow, 29 and acting like that? Did he actually read about Mind Melters? :nh:
Maybe re-roll his character as a Headhunter or Juicer.

Why would you want to be a Mind Melter and sling guns around?... oh wait, Psi-Slingers from New West, maybe that would suit him better. :D
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
Marrowlight
Knight

AP78 wrote:Pretty much anything that hurts his character ... but mostly if I do not let buy certain weapons since it would be out of his character.

He played a Mind Melter in one of my campaigns and he played him like a grunt.... the whole time I was trying to explain to him that a Mind Melter would rely on his psionics first and weapons second and he would not go around being rambo .... whine whine whine

Well, to play Devil's Advocate for a moment -- was he possibly trying to conserve ISP?

KillWatch
Champion

and it sounds to me like you may be assuming as well. We don't know this guy. The player may be just as interpreted as a single minded player who never uses the full range of his abilities and relies ont he big guns to ge tthe job done. OR he may be trying to play it tactically and conserve like you said ....
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Killer Cyborg wrote:Giving out XP for Roleplaying is like giving out points in Basketball for dribbling.

Disagree. A better example should be:

Giving exp for showing up to the game is like giving points in basketball for sitting on the bench.

I believe that role-playing should be rewarded & encouraged, but I made a new topic to debate that. =D
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
KillWatch
Champion

I give out the arriving one to reward those who make it consistantly it also helps bump those who can't or won't RP so they get some skill points and at least that
Nelly
Explorer
Comment: The German Princess

Unread post by Nelly »

We had a gamer who also was a personal friend to all of us. But his behavious also affected the friendship. It all escelated one evening while gaming Shadowrun and the whole round just kicked him off because we've all been so sick of all the BS that was going on.

It was the best decision we have made. First I didn't want that we kick him off because I am not that kind of a person that kicks someone out just because of an argument. But that thing went on for about a year and he didn't listen to any of us. Plus he bullied another gamer. So he had to leave. Since then everything is fine and its the best group I have ever GM'ed for.
Subjugator:
Happy birrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-dbath to you!
Happy birrrrrrrrrrrrrr-ch tree to you!
Happy birrrrrrrrrrrrrr-th-right dear Nelly...
Happy birrrrrrrrrrrrr-thstone to you!

Return to “G.M.s Forum”