The Exploding Die Rule

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

t0m
Adventurer
Comment: nothing left and nothing right

Unread post by t0m »

im pretty sure the standard is stats rolled on 2d6 get a bonus d6 if they roll 2 sixes (with no further possible bonus rolls), and stats rolled on 4+ dice dont get any bonuses.
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Um.........exploding die rule? :-?
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
shiiv-a
Adventurer
Comment: I see people as people first, anything else is secondary

Unread post by shiiv-a »

as i understand it ..

you roll a 16 - 18 on 3d6 you roll a die ... if you roll a 6 on that one .. then you roll ONE MORE TIME
total maxed stat would be 30. then of course you would stack the physical skills to improve them.

you roll 11-12 on 2d6 .. you roll a bonus die .. you roll a 6 on that .. then its up to the GM if he'll allow you to roll another die for the stat.

sadly i don't think i've ever seen anyone roll that in front of me.

nor do i usually see it on anything other than PB ... for some reason ... go figure. but then again .. its usually the gamer boy's ideal dreamgirl that they are rolling up ... and then the IQ seems to vanish as the PB goes up ... *shrugs*
Creator of the Chi grenade. Used in game by Kevarin [GM] and self as Mai - Civilian Martial artist that got amped via experiment. Ghost weapons and shirts rule.

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Zazshann wrote:For the most part, myself and my group (because of my ruling) ignores the bonus for low attributes rule...it makes it WAY too wasy to minmax (and you end up with SAMAS and GB pilots with a PP of 40 and a PS of 3)

That would actually make for a really interesting character!
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

I've had this new oficial canon ruling pulled on me more than once so far, since the printing of R:UE.
-sigh-
Not much I can do since these people are just going by the new book.
I always had it, un-augmented humans could ONLY aspire to 24 as the maximum limit for their stats..period. Any stats higher than this (for humans) would have to come from OCC , Martial Arts, physical skills, or bionics / cybernetics.

Guess I'm just old fashioned that way.
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

CaptRory wrote:You quoted RUE incorrectly. You got called on it. If you want to use different rules in your own game, go ahead. But most of us use the most recent ruleset.

Now, back to the topic at hand, the only game I've seen that addresses it is Palladium Fantasy1st Ed.

Huh.. who you talking to in this???
If me.. I wasn't quoting R:UE at all.. I was going by the original Rifts Main book (the sploogie cover) as my example.

Leaves of the lotus rise

shiiv-a
Adventurer

Unread post by shiiv-a »

didn't like that 'sploogie cover' ... gave me the willies ...

anyways .. there it WAS capped at 24 ... and it SHOULD have stayed that way

now? .. PB 24+ is the 'norm'
and IF its not that high .. they 'beg favors of gods' to raise the PB's ... like excuse me ... gods MAY be fickle and vain ... but they ARE NOT gonna hand out PB points just cause you happened to roll lousy PB ...

*sigh*
Creator of the Chi grenade. Used in game by Kevarin [GM] and self as Mai - Civilian Martial artist that got amped via experiment. Ghost weapons and shirts rule.

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

shiiv-a wrote:didn't like that 'sploogie cover' ... gave me the willies ...

anyways .. there it WAS capped at 24 ... and it SHOULD have stayed that way

now? .. PB 24+ is the 'norm'
and IF its not that high .. they 'beg favors of gods' to raise the PB's ... like excuse me ... gods MAY be fickle and vain ... but they ARE NOT gonna hand out PB points just cause you happened to roll lousy PB ...

*sigh*

Merci.. at least SOMONE here gets the point ;)

Leaves of the lotus rise

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

I've banned exploding dice from my table. The shrapnel hurts too much.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

The Beast wrote:I've banned exploding dice from my table. The shrapnel hurts too much.

To put a little "RPG.Net" into this here forum.
Take 3 LOL points :lol:

Leaves of the lotus rise

shiiv-a
Adventurer

Unread post by shiiv-a »

i'm just glad that it NEVER went overboard on the 'exploding dice' ... i found one site once .. that stated IF you rolled the ability to get the 'bonus' die .. and rolled a 6 .. you would roll again .. but only till you rolled the amount of dice for the stat ..

IF it was 2D6 the total allowed would have been 24 [bonus die*2]
.. for 3d6 .. 24 would lead to 30 would lead to 36 [bonus die*3]
.. for 4d6 .. 30> 36> 42 > 48 total [bonus die *4]

get the idea? ... stat dice + the equiv of stat dice rolling bonus .. = SCARY characters

THEN i was informed that ITS not allowed .. i felt better .. then along comes a char that disregards THAT ruling .. and being an elf female .. somehow rolls a PB of 60 ... ... yeah ... booted that one out of the game .. and they tried to justify HOW the char got that score ... i was SO not interested at that point.

BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

The Beast wrote:I've banned exploding dice from my table. The shrapnel hurts too much.

I usually put up a sign reading: "Beware Of Detonatable Percentiles"
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

This attribute rule applies to more than just HUMANS it is really very clear. I'll "HIGHLIGHT" the main points.

As per pg. 14 Palladium Fantasy Main Book 2ed:----
"An exceptional roll for humans and "OTHER CHARACTERS" who determine an attribute with the roll of three six-sided dice (3D6) is a roll of 16, 17, or 18. If "ANY" of these numbers are rolled, the player gets to roll an additional one six-sided die (1D6) and add it to his total. If a "SIX" is rolled, the player adds the six to his character's attribute and gets to roll 1D6 again, and add that numer also to his character's total attibute number. However, even if this last roll is a six, the player "DOES NOT" roll again."

So the maximum attribute roll for a race which determines an attribute with a 3D6 roll is 30.

However, PB bolding the "An exceptional roll for humans" part makes alot of people stop reading there for some reason?
shiiv-a
Adventurer

Unread post by shiiv-a »

so .. an elf with a PB of .. say .. 35 .. isn't that far off base then .. taking into account the 'exploding die' ... *shrugs*

shiiv-a
Adventurer

Unread post by shiiv-a »

yeah ...

if you think about it as 18 = 100% .. then anything over 10 is additional % ... while a 30 is 100% .. not many get over that .. and if they do, then its also the 100+ category.

most PC's now IF human are in the 'over 100%' standards. elves rarely get there ..

Return to “G.M.s Forum”