ok guys vote for the fate of a universe!!

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

do i allow the uber mech

Poll ended at Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:29 pm

yes
50%
no
50%

Total votes: 32

asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Crap in a hat, who voted no? :x
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

why do i have the feeling that by friday this is still gonna be a tie? :lol:
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

I voted yes because of just what you suggested the CS and the NGR would pay a fortune to collect him!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

you are gonna need SOMEONE to keep the promethean in check... :D
Carl

asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Quester wrote:IIRC, the original Rifts Conversion Book 1 had Robotech conversions that stated that 40 fott tall robots were able to receive an additional 200 or 400 MDC in armor becouse of the better quality of armor. Also, the GU-11 gun pod can be replaced with a Rifts gun and the missle system (again IIRC) can be replaced with a Rifts system.

Bearing this in mind (and I can confirm when I get a hold of my book tomorrow) you may not want to allow. I haven't voted yet as I am only 98% sure I'm right (the max allowed by Palladium).

You are correct about the rail guns. Although I'm house ruling that a substitute gun can only be used in gerwalk and batteloid modes (won't fit properly in fighter mode adn can only be stored). I plan on playing the machine with the MDC as written, no upgrades. Oh its gonna be a Macross type veritech: nulear power, none of that protoculture stuff. :D
Carl

asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

CaptRory wrote:I voted "Yes" but if you have to make a poll then you aren't ready for the challenge yet IMO.

Aww Rory sez you can't handle it, Bob! I say do away with the poll, allow my veritech man, and prove him wrong! unless yer afraid... :lol: :P :lol:

I tease I tease :D
Carl

Snuffy
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Snuffy »

I like it, but I would limit the Veritech quite a bit.
Limits:
1. Veritech is stuck in Battloid Mode. Possibly could be repaired (adventure in itself).
2. Protocultured Veritech not fusion reactor. Why? Gives the transferred intelligence something to search for so he will live! Gives him some urgency.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I voted yes, before reading everyone else's coments, for the reasons giving in the topic starting post are a bit balenced, but Snuffy brings up a couple of complications that could add char to the char.

Here is how I would make the char's Alpha take a crash while he was flying it...and they ended up crashing into a rift that brought him to RE. If he is stuck in a single mode I would make it an easy repair that most operators can fix. I would sujest that the operator to be another PC, if its a NPC....well the GM can have fun, evil fun. Another question is 'does he need to keep care of his body to stay alive?' Much like the MOM TIs in Triax. The question also pops up 'Does the TI inhabite a central symitery core or through out the whole simitry of the Alpha? and if the latter option, what effect does damage and repairing or part replacment do to the char?'
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Being a 40+ foot tall mech is a pretty big disadvantage. Is the player ready to spend all of his time waiting outside town limits while the rest of the group is interacting with the NPC's there? The other disadvantages though can be circumvented, as discussed earlier. He can upgrade his armor and weapons to Rifts versions, and as far as being wanted by high tech organizations, he'd have a pretty easy time outrunning most of what came after him.

I personally wouldn't allow it in my game. I see him being less useful to a group than a combat-centric munchkin. Your mileage, however, may vary.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Yarr no votes unless you support your position :D
Carl

Jockitch74
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Jockitch74 »

K, I missed the part where this is munchkin. Even with Rifts upgrades, would be on par if not under par with a Triax Dragonwing. But, then again... if everybody is playing a rogue scholar, then it might be a little much. *shrug*
"Knowledge is the key to the universe"
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Jockitch74 wrote:K, I missed the part where this is munchkin. Even with Rifts upgrades, would be on par if not under par with a Triax Dragonwing. But, then again... if everybody is playing a rogue scholar, then it might be a little much. *shrug*

Heh, and in THIS group (the mech in question is a backup for my existing character) the closest thing to a Rogue Scholar is the Fairy Bot D-Bee :)
Carl

asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

sawg138 wrote:I said no just because. :D

No good reason? then yer vote dont count! :P :D
Carl

asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

sawg138 wrote:
asajosh wrote:

When you can identify my vote, you can negate it.

<sinff, sniff,>
Here it is! smells like you :) :P

any way read here then vote yes!
viewtopic.php?p=1529411#1529411
Carl

asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

bob the desolate one wrote:
asajosh wrote:
sawg138 wrote:
asajosh wrote:

When you can identify my vote, you can negate it.

<sinff, sniff,>
Here it is! smells like you :) :P

any way read here then vote yes!
viewtopic.php?p=1529411#1529411

are you going for the sympathy vote or the i love tiny robots vote?

Can't it be both? :lol:
Carl

KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

As long as he understands and doesn't complain when he does get torn apart by those interested in his tech and that in 10 games or less he will be out of ammo (give or take depending on the situations). He will have no clue about magic, psionics, montsers (Horror Factors will be a biggie), unless he has the proper skills (and a shop and the ability to fabricate parts) he won't be able to be repaired so damage is permanent.

Bunch of downsides. The character is starting to sound like short term pc. Big bang and fun to play and then blows up. Of course you can always get a hold of the body. The people who get a hold of him want their own TAI in the bot and put the brain box into something comical like an iDog, iMaid, Zoomba, or even AI Toilet with full sensory options
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

KillWatch wrote:As long as he understands and doesn't complain when he does get torn apart by those interested in his tech and that in 10 games or less he will be out of ammo (give or take depending on the situations). He will have no clue about magic, psionics, montsers (Horror Factors will be a biggie), unless he has the proper skills (and a shop and the ability to fabricate parts) he won't be able to be repaired so damage is permanent.

Bunch of downsides. The character is starting to sound like short term pc. Big bang and fun to play and then blows up. Of course you can always get a hold of the body. The people who get a hold of him want their own TAI in the bot and put the brain box into something comical like an iDog, iMaid, Zoomba, or even AI Toilet with full sensory options

LoL :lol:
Carl

asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Ahh the gap in votes, she closes :)
Carl

asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Alejandro wrote:And now I've just tipped it to no....15 to 16 now. HA!

I say no for several reasons.

1) What exactly will a 40ft transforming jet/robot DO while the rest of the party wanders about town, explores dungeons/caves/buildings? Nothing...outside of using his RADAR (capitalized because it's an acronym and not a word...really gets on my nerves) to scan the skies for trouble.

2) Even with +200 MDC, he's still incredibly frail for a 40ft robot. With the extra armor he still only has about the same amount of armor as a single suit of Commando Dead Boy armor.

3) Yeah, you can upgrade the armor and weapons...but who's gonna do it for you? Sure you can find a railgun in a lot of the Rifts books that does equal damage (hell, far superior) to the GU-11 gunpod...but just where are you going to find mountable & installable veritech-sized guns for yourself? Now factor in ammo costs. Vehicle weapons in Rifts do the same damage as infantry-sized ones....the ammo just costs a ton more. You're going to be a walking money pit when your party starts realizing just how big your ammo bill is.

4) Who is to say that, as a giant and sentient veritech, that replacing your armor won't hurt like you're being tortured? If you can't feel it, then the GM now has a wonderful tool in which you can't tell when you've even taken damage at all. Let alone been sabotaged.

5) Complete ignorance of the world in which you live. Not as bad for something like a humanoid d-bee just rifted in...a lot harder for a sentient giant robot.

Exactly! All challenges I've never taken on before as a role player and would like to take a crack at.

Groups split into smaller squads to accoplish tasks all the time. When the rest of the party is indoors or under ground, I'll figure something to do. Thats up to me as the player, I dont need a GM to keep spoon feeding me.

Someone else suggested grafting on additional armor, I'm not gonna do that. Oh, and robots don't feel pain. No pain receptors nor a true nervous system, so that's hardly an issue.

Geographically, earth is earth. The coastlines have changed but not too much else (from 30K feet he'll be able to navigate pretty freely).

Culturally a person from the Macross or Robotech world (especially a pilot or other military person) could pretty easily integrate into the CS or the NGR, so long as they conceal their past and arrival on Rifts earth. Now its a giant robot we're talking about here, and not a person, but again thats a CHALLENGE I'd enjoy taking on.

The cost of vehicle maintenance can easily be off set with merc work, transcontinental deliveries, high altitude spy missions, etc. The last 2 being somthing that can be done extremely well by an intelligent jet robot.
Carl

KillWatch
Champion

1) His choice his problem
2) See #1
3) See #2
4) See #3, also just like any robot unless it has tactile snesory, radar etc he won't be able to tell
5) See #3

The GM's job isn't to corale players for making a bad choice. If the player wants to explore this route then let them. If the GM doesn't want veritechs in his world, or has other reasoning for not allowing the player theAI Veritech then it's his call, but the only time we should protect players from themselves is when they are newbs, and even still soemtimes the best teacher is a sucking chest wound and a fade to black
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

KillWatch wrote: The GM's job isn't to corale players for making a bad choice. If the player wants to explore this route then let them. ..even still soemtimes the best teacher is a sucking chest wound and a fade to black

Perfect, I couldn't have put it better :ok:
Carl

Snuffy
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Snuffy »

I've voted "no"

Reason being, now the GM has to prepare two adventures. One for the Veritech and the other for the rest of the group. He has enough work to do already.
KillWatch
Champion

Um I don't think that is a good enough reason. Again if the player wants to play something difficult the GM and other players shouldn't have to pay for it. If he wants to play something unwieldly he shall suffer, or make the best of it by hiding fromm villagers in a scooby doo meets the veritech kind of way. But either way the GM shouldn't have to change the plot or story for any reason other than character intervention (oh shnikeys he just killed my main villain) not becuase the character is trying something new (well now I gotta pull in an invading force of zentradi crap,... beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep ring ring ring hello palladium? yeah get me kevin,.. No I'll hold,..... Cuz I am the warrior heart to heart to win if we survive breakin down the This is the big mast K Holla. Oh hey kevin um you k now that line of Coalition v Kingdom of Magic, well one of my players wants to play a AI veritech in rifts, it seemed like a good idea at the time but then I realized I had change palladium cosmology and bring int he Zentradi so now I need a lineof Coalition V Macross books can you swing that? Sure thing 2050 ok with you? um could you speed it up a little? Oh sure um how's 2030,... and so on The difficulties in the story line are poart of the whole AIV experiment he should be able to handle that

Return to “G.M.s Forum”