Optional Rule Follies

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Re: Optional Rule Follies

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Shadowmagic wrote:The following is not tested but, in the works:

SDC buffing

Attempted Fix: Allow SDC to build with levels

Mechanics: Characters gain 1d6 HP and 2d6 SDC at each lvl.

Complications: Unknown at present.

Please feel free to critique, criticize, improve, replace these rules with whatever strikes your fancy.
Complication....sdc numbers have potential to get outrageous at higher levels (especially if PC selects sdc buffing skills)
try sdc gets 1d6 per level and HPs get 1/2 sdc bump (round up)
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Hi shadow,

Lets face it, there is no perfect combination that wins the game, as your designing it.

So what's the point of all these choices, if none of them get you closer to a winning goal? There's no point to any of this.

Are you going for an aesthetic goal? Like player make choices for a certain look and pattern to their character?

If so, +1 parry or whatever is not the way to go - there is no substantial aesthetic there. You don't want +1, you want some sort of 'Parry of the crow, carried down over ten generations of twilightmen' or something with REAL asthetic. That's what you need as game mechanics.
My WIP browser game : Come see how it's evolving!
Philosopher Gamer: Thought provoking blog!
Driftwurld: My web comic!
Relkor: "I believe the GM ruled that they did vomit..."
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Can't you just say characters can't die before X amount of time?

It's not realistic, but neither is creating armour and damage rules simply to do the same thing. Their both there to support the outside the game concern of having characters who do not die prematurely.

Are you going for an aesthetic goal? Like player make choices for a certain look

I really can't believe this is some sort of far out, vague question to ask. If I asked whether your goal was to have lots of ninja's and players could choose from dozens of ninja types, you'd get it. Asking if its about asthetics and choosing a certain look is just as basic a question.
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Wait, wait, wait, I'm not knocking house rules - what I'm recommending is to use very, very simple house rules, that way they are more likely to do what you want them to do. You seem to be having complications right now and my hypothesis is that it's related to their complexity.
This is where I feel you are wrong. I CAN just say that the characters don't die, I can roll dice behind a shield and get a Nat 20 and go..."Um, wow!!! He just misses you!" That's not my style. My rules might be a toned down version to the original rules but, I can accept the results easier. I don't have to fudge for characters or NPCS, I can use the rolls from my Optional Rules without wincing.

Wait, wait again! When I said "Can't you just say characters can't die before X amount of time?" I mean say it outloud, to all the players - thus it becomes a rule (house rule).

If that doesn't seem realistic, recheck the note I gave previously about that.

As for the extra stuff at the end of your post, that seems to be trying to cover some other stuff other than 'keep PC's alive until X time'. To many bases to cover at once, so I'll focus on the PC's thing for now.
My WIP browser game : Come see how it's evolving!
Philosopher Gamer: Thought provoking blog!
Driftwurld: My web comic!
Relkor: "I believe the GM ruled that they did vomit..."

Return to “G.M.s Forum”