Does the term Necromancy include healing magic?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Does the term Necromancy include healing magic?

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Is Healing/curative magic a form of or the red headed step brother Necromancy?
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

I'd say no.

~Josh
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

No.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

Also no, but with an explanation of why: necromancy is death magic; healing someone has nothing to do with death. Now, you could make a case for resurrection being related to necromancy, but not regular healing spells.
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

In NWN Healing magic actually damages undead. Necromancy = Death Magic. Making things dead, perverting/poisoning/corrupting life with the essences of the spheres of death. Biomancy should be life magic healing and restoration. I would say if you tried to raise someone through necromancy the result would be soem sort of twisted half live being
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Rimmerdal
Knight

so my Necro-Fusionist having both then makes sense?

(It's in the main Rift section Here:

viewtopic.php?t=76804)
taalismn wrote:

KillWatch
Champion

it can depending on how you play it.

Personally (and this is where I usually get into trouble) I like the idea that every school of magic has it's own language and raditions and sub culture. Kind of like the difference between a Native American Shaman and a African Shaman
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Rimmerdal
Knight

Cool then having them as opposites will work.
taalismn wrote:

Ahulane
Explorer

Unread post by Ahulane »

Historically, the term necromancy doesn't even include death magic; it was more properly defined as a form of divination where its practicioners tried to get information from the dead.

Yay! Someone who actually knows about the "real" definition of Necromancy! :lol:

However, the question of wether or not a necromancer gets healing spells depends on how the game is being run and on your personal view of what the definition of necromancy entails.

So True...but based on how necromancers are used and portrayed in Rifts...I'd say the only kind of "healing" you'll be doing is either as a mad doctor or death bolting your undead minions.

The only "evil" healer would be a priest who follows a dark god of some sort.
Rimmerdal
Knight

Semisonic9 wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:Cool then having them as opposites will work.

"Do Necromancers heal?"
-"No"
"Cool. My munchy healing-necromancy class totally works then!"

~Semi

Really then your saying death is evil and not part of the natural order? Then that "Cycle of Life" we were all taught in grade 10 science class is wrong?

interesting view....
taalismn wrote:

Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

Rimmerdal wrote:
Really then your saying death is evil and not part of the natural order? Then that "Cycle of Life" we were all taught in grade 10 science class is wrong?

interesting view....

Necromancers in Rifts don't have anything to do with natural death though; all of their spells focus on causing death or undeath. Unless I missed the part with zombies and vampires on that "Cycle of Life," of course.
KillWatch
Champion

The dead are not suppose to serve or be corrupted. Their spirits are suppose to rest as the natural order. Necromancers disturb the bodies, make them serve, cause grandma milly to do all kinds of disgutsing things be it in body and eat your dog's brains or in spirit as a tortured chained informant.

Now mind you Necromancy in general is on the darkside, but it can be used for good like putting spirits to rest, dealing with evil spirits etc.
Rimmerdal
Knight

Well, I managed to get a little more balance and use the ressurect to save/Liberate a soul.

See as the resurrected person performs a task in return for the favor of being freed. (left typically by the GM/Player resurrecting with GM approval) this can also restore a victim of Vampire's bite (GM discrection) or similar fates, just expect a high cost.

the task will typically be a non-harmful of dangerous task. someting like sharing information, leading them to a weapon or even aiding them on a quest if said individual is an adventurer.

Think of King Arthour being raised to defend england in times of need, or Beawulf having to slay a monster, something epic. Also PC's can be raised in a similar fashion and have such a quest given to them.

the problem I had was making raising the dead have a cause. Also I removed the animate dead, skeleton and Mummies spells. They aren't Res.
taalismn wrote:

Return to “G.M.s Forum”