Is their an acting skill in any books

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dragon_blaze_99
Hero

Is their an acting skill in any books

Unread post by dragon_blaze_99 »

Is there an acting skill in any books?
i was thinking of just using the dance skill
The mind is the gateway to the future
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle
verdilak
Adventurer

Unread post by verdilak »

Adventures on the High Seas I believe.
asajosh
Hero

Re: Is their an acting skill in any books

Unread post by asajosh »

dragon_blaze_99 wrote:Is there an acting skill in any books?
i was thinking of just using the dance skill

Performance, RUE page 305. Public Speaking is on the same page.
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

Unread post by dragon_blaze_99 »

thanks all :D
The mind is the gateway to the future
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

Here's a thought, make your own
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

KillWatch wrote:Here's a thought, make your own

a lil late to the party eh?
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
KillWatch
Champion

OR am I early to the next one
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Yeah it's not like its hard. Just invent a base percentage (35% or 40% is fairly common for most Palladium skills) and add 5% per level and a one-time IQ bonus.

Voila, that took all of ten seconds work on my part, and reminded me of why I think Palladium's skill system is so useless :)
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Rallan wrote:

Yeah it's not like its hard. Just invent a base percentage (35% or 40% is fairly common for most Palladium skills) and add 5% per level and a one-time IQ bonus.

Voila, that took all of ten seconds work on my part, and reminded me of why I think Palladium's skill system is so useless :)
wow ten whole seconds to get the major crunchy part out of the way.....

but whats the parameters of the skill? when would i be required to make a skill check? under what circumstance?....there is more to developing a skill than just asigning a base and an advancement....
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
KillWatch
Champion

When you are trying to act,.... It might give you a +2 to MA. You would use it when trying to mimic or portray someone fictional or real. Conveying emotions, mannerisms, delivering dialogue, etc
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Rallan wrote:

but whats the parameters of the skill? when would i be required to make a skill check? under what circumstance?....there is more to developing a skill than just asigning a base and an advancement....

What difference does it make? Palladium's skill system is so vaguely defined and devoid of rules for applying it to in-game situations that it barely even matters. As for parameters, that's just a matter of whipping up three or four lines about whatever the author believes the basics of acting are. Can't be that hard to cook up something as vague and generalized as the other skill descriptions.
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Rallan wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
Rallan wrote:

What difference does it make? Palladium's skill system is so vaguely defined and devoid of rules for applying it to in-game situations that it barely even matters. As for parameters, that's just a matter of whipping up three or four lines about whatever the author believes the basics of acting are. Can't be that hard to cook up something as vague and generalized as the other skill descriptions.

So you don't like the skill system either, eh? ;)
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

KillWatch
Champion

I've been wrestling with skilsl for some time. From stacking skills to point based.

Right now I am trying to figure out if First Aid and Para Medics are automatically known by an MD. I mean obviously a doctor would know them but why aren't they prereqs?

Also trying to figure out if there should be a multi tiered system of skills or just one. Like First Aid and Paramedic as secondary then MD as primary, or if I should just call it Medical Skill and say that at 25% you can perform first aid, 50% you can perform paramedics 75%= md and start at 0% base level
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Marrowlight wrote:
Rallan wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
Rallan wrote:

So you don't like the skill system either, eh? ;)

Let's put it this way. Some of Palladium's games have been pretty good apart from the rules :)
Marrowlight
Knight

What's always amused me about the skill system is how quick skill checks are versus the monstrosity that is the combat system.

Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Marrowlight wrote:What's always amused me about the skill system is how quick skill checks are versus the monstrosity that is the combat system.

Combat's pretty easy as long as you remember that doing anything except standing your ground and returning fire on full automatic will be heavily penalised, so the only rules you'll ever use are to-hit rolls and damage rolls :)
The ineffible GM
Explorer

Unread post by The ineffible GM »

Calling it a Skill system isn't really accurate, it's more like a Skill Collection. And each new book has something new for you to look at and maybe add to your personal horde. What's most amusing I find, is that a short while ago I started looking at changing Palladium's skill 'system' to make a little more sense and to be a little more cohesive and condensed...and I realized it would probably be easiest to just replace the entire system completely. Rip the whole thing out and make a new one...and it wouldn't really have any affect on the rest of the game.
"Otaru taught me that blue skies mean happiness"
- Lime, from Sabre Marionette J, episode twenty five
KillWatch
Champion

Well here's my monstrostiy:
1: Three tiered system: Basic Advanced Master
2: Skill points based on IQ with bonus points per level
3: Usage points, so that those skills you actually use are increased proportionately, and if you don't cook a dish in 13 levels you are not at 98%
4: Skills over 100% limited by individual character capacities. Penalized by rough conditions, damage, lack of proper gear, etc can put big dents in it. But if they are that good then they are just that good.
5: Leveled physical skills so that they can grow with characters
Wise_Owl
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Wise_Owl »

Karandor wrote:What's wrong with the system? It's incredibly un-complicated and doing checks when needed is very fast.

Alright, sure, it's fast to use in game. Roll dice, hope you roll low. Uncomplicated? Have you ever gone about creating a Palladium character? It seems almost random which skills require prerequisites and which ones don't, the myriad of sub-skills that gymnastics and acrobatics grant you are encumbering at best, and then there's the matter of exactly which skills within what categories you can select skills from. Character creation is complicated, and lengthy, and in a lot of ways due to skills.

Karandor wrote:The skill descriptions are vague because most skills cover a large amount of knowledge. Where that knowledge starts and ends should be a combination of the player's character description and what the GM decides.

Skills do not always represent a broad area of knowledge. Demolitions and Safecracking are seperate skills in Rifts. It is fully possible to be a master and blowing safes open, but not have a clue as to how to set explosives against the side of a parked tank. Ninjas and Superspies is probably the worst for narrowly defined skills.

Karandor wrote:Everyone ***** about the skill system but never says what they want instead.

Killwatch, it's like you're reading my mind.
:shock:
*Spends ISP, initiates Mind Block*

Rallan said it right though, it's not the rules that have made Palladium's games fun over the years.
The Way that can be told,
is not the true unchanging way

The way that can be named,
is not the true unnamable way
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

What I'd like would be a skill system like, say, the one in White Wolf's game. Y'know, where it's actually connected to the rest of the rules instead of being its own isolated ghetto, where how good you are at something depends on how much you've invested in the skill rather than just your level, where your performance is affected by stats that are relevant to the skill rather than an across the board IQ bonus, where you've actually got one skill system (instead of Palladium where you've got a hand to hand skill system, a WP skill system, a physical skill system, and an everything else skill system all working in different ways), where the result of your rolls means more than just a binary pass/fail outcome, and where the skill tree for skills that need prerequisite skills doesn't look so damn arbitrary.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”