Initiative Option

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

KillWatch
Champion

Initiative Option

Unread post by KillWatch »

What do you think?

I have been thinking of a twist on mechanics to possibly make the game a little more wild and hopefully more fun

A natural 20 on initiative is paramount to DOMINATION. All foes are taken aback by the sudden burst or barrage of attacks by the character. Targets either get no dodge/parry due to being stunned or simply a straight d20 to counter

A natural 1 is SUBJUGATION. The personis left standing on the platform as the combat begins, out of it for whatever in character reason, and gets 0 defensive rolls or simply straight d20s

there it is, tell me I'm a bad boy
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Unread post by wolfsgrin »

Looks a little up in the air about what the character is able to do.

"Targets either get no dodge/parry due to being stunned or simply a straight d20 to counter"

Pretty much the same for the roll of a one.
Why not give the bonus to the player that rolls the 20. Players dig that more.

Try this?:

nat 20 = +1 Free action/attack at the top of the initiative with no bonuses. Must be a quick manuever with a straight roll of the die.
nat 1 = -1 action/attack in the first round.

But hey, whatever floats your boat. the idea you have is good i just have to throw my 2 cents in.
t0m
Adventurer
Comment: nothing left and nothing right

Unread post by t0m »

i like the idea but i think its a bit too much. one bad roll could (more likely, would) get you killed. if i used it i would use your effects but only apply them to first attack/defense. kinda like seeing an easy opening, or losing focus for a moment...
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

I have been using
nat 20 = +1 attack
nat 1 = -1 attack
for the last 10 years
this seems to work quite well
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"

Return to “G.M.s Forum”