Overkill?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SkyeFyre
Hero

Overkill?

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

Ok, so my current game is taking place some time after the initial Mechanoid invasion on earth. Now without giving away anything on the story (In case one of my players reads this) if lets say, 1 Mechanoid battle cruiser were to make it to earth... would earth be doomed? Like would it bring too much chaos? It seems that Atlantis would definately need to get involved. Basically I want a larger Mechanoid force than the first one, but I don't want to anihilate everything. On another note, even if it was overkill, what would be a good idea to actually have the Mechanoids actually hold back and not wipe out everything?
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Define how the battle cruiser makes it to Earth? If it comes thru the solar system the orbital community would go nuts (they don't believe in aliens, if IIRC). I'd think that if the Mechanoids were hostile (heh) that the orbital nations would be the first line of attack, althou the mechs would probably get thru.

Then there is the orbital debris and killer sattelites around earth.

Assuming the mechanoids could make it all the way through, I'd think that a single ship would be battered pretty badly. no matter where they land, the weakened mechanoids would face opposition from all sides and would eventually be overwhelmed... makes me wanna dig out my mechanoids book tho, GL.
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
SkyeFyre
Hero

Y'know I never thought of them coming in through orbit. I was thinking along the lines of warping in right near the surface. Like, large rift or magical means. But I like the twist of an orbital entry.
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
75 GM Geek Points
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Overkill?

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

SkyeFyre wrote:Ok, so my current game is taking place some time after the initial Mechanoid invasion on earth. Now without giving away anything on the story (In case one of my players reads this) if lets say, 1 Mechanoid battle cruiser were to make it to earth... would earth be doomed? Like would it bring too much chaos? It seems that Atlantis would definately need to get involved. Basically I want a larger Mechanoid force than the first one, but I don't want to anihilate everything. On another note, even if it was overkill, what would be a good idea to actually have the Mechanoids actually hold back and not wipe out everything?

It would be enough mechanoids to change the face of Rifts Earth, but the Earth wouldn't necessarily be doomed.

Would it bring too much chaos?
That depends on how much chaos you're looking for.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

I can't remeber but isn't a Mechanoid battle cruiser huge? Like hundreds, even thousands of miles long? With a Mechaniod brain and the works?
I remember them being able to consume whole planets. Or is that a different Mechaniod ship?
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Lukterran wrote:I can't remeber but isn't a Mechanoid battle cruiser huge? Like hundreds, even thousands of miles long? With a Mechaniod brain and the works?
I remember them being able to consume whole planets. Or is that a different Mechaniod ship?

It's only about 12 miles long.
It is a mechanoid, with all level 1 and level 2 psionics.

You're probably thinking of the Mothership, which is around the size of a moon.
One Mothership could wipe out Rifts Earth.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Re: Overkill?

Unread post by JTwig »

SkyeFyre wrote:Ok, so my current game is taking place some time after the initial Mechanoid invasion on earth. Now without giving away anything on the story (In case one of my players reads this) if lets say, 1 Mechanoid battle cruiser were to make it to earth... would earth be doomed? Like would it bring too much chaos? It seems that Atlantis would definately need to get involved. Basically I want a larger Mechanoid force than the first one, but I don't want to anihilate everything. On another note, even if it was overkill, what would be a good idea to actually have the Mechanoids actually hold back and not wipe out everything?

I think your best bet would be for them to come in from orbit (as has been stated), that way they would be weakened enough to still be a serious threat to the entire planet or continent (it would give you a reasonable excuse to adjust the ships strength to fit your campaign), but not to overwhelming. It would also give you a chance to add elements from Mutants in Orbit and the Acrhons (spelling? Aliens form SA2), if you were so inclined.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Lukterran wrote:I can't remeber but isn't a Mechanoid battle cruiser huge? Like hundreds, even thousands of miles long? With a Mechaniod brain and the works?

It's only about 12 miles long.
It is a mechanoid, with all level 1 and level 2 psionics.

You're probably thinking of the Mothership, which is around the size of a moon.
One Mothership could wipe out Rifts Earth.

No.

One mothership is the size of Jupiter, several times the size of earth.

it can littreally care the planet into tiny chunks.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

The Great Red Spot alone is several times the size of Earth, up to 2-3 times; it's variable. Jupiter has 11 times the diameter of Earth.
SkyeFyre
Hero

Battlecruiser length: 19km
Mothership Length: 89,000km
Mechanoid Gargantuan Disc: Three times the size of Jupiter. (Around 428,952km)

I really think the main thing that's got me going, "Hrm, this could be overkill" is that a standard Battlecruiser houses 100,000 Wasps. Now anybody who's encountered even a single Wasp knows how lethal that is.

I'm thinking maybe an arctic crash landing would work. My problem is, looking at the stats, I honestly do not believe the orbital inhabitants would stand a chance or really be able to hit them hard enough. Also now that I think about it, their Phi-Warp drives would allow them to actually warp right into the atmosphere bypassing the planetary defenses. Also as the drive is psionic in nature there is a good chance it would stand a better chance of diving into the magic rich environment. The Mechies are a nasty bunch... but I love em :D .
75 GM Geek Points

Return to “G.M.s Forum”