S.D.C. Version of Rifts.

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

panzerfaust
Adventurer

S.D.C. Version of Rifts.

Unread post by panzerfaust »

I've come up with some Improved M.D.C. to S.D.C. Conversion Rules because I wasn't satisfied with those for tech-items in the Rifts Conversion Book(Also Aplicable to Splicers and Macross II):
    M.D. Times 2 is Now the S.D.C. Damage for Vibro-Blades.
    M.D. Times 2 is now the S.D.C. Damage for hand-held M.D. Small Arms type weapons.
    M.D. Times 3 ( Times 2 for Man-Sized Railguns ) is now the S.D.C. damage for Heavy or power armor mounted weapons (Includes Hand Grenades), also note that Railguns do their converted burst damage in M.D. as S.D.C. per a single round (I.E. a C-40R SAMAS Railgun now does 2D4x10 S.D.C. per a single shot) and that bursts from railguns should be treated as the same as those from Machineguns.
    M.D. times 10 is now the S.D.C. damage from rifts M.D. Heavy, Anti-Tank/Robot Weapons, Missiles and Explosives.
    M.D.C. times 2 is now the S.D.C. of Rifts High-Tech Body Armor , and also note that all rifts High-Tech Body Armor has the equivalent of NATURAL/ROBOT A.R..
    M.D.C. Times 2 is now the S.D.C. of Power Armor, Cyborgs, Small Vehicles and Man-Sized Robots (This gives a Death's Head SAMAS about as much S.D.C. as a 20th Century Light Tank/APC ( Note that Military Vehicles Have a Natural/Robot A.R. ).
    M.D.C. times 3 is now the S.D.C. of M.D.C. Tanks, Conventional Vehicles that are larger than man-sized, ships, submarines, Glitter Boys and Giant Robots ( this gives the smallest Iron Heart Industries tank something like 1900 S.D.C. which is better but in the same ballpark as an M1 Abrams at 1500 S.D.C., and note that ALL military Vehicles have a Natural/Robot A.R. ).
    M.D.C. times 1 to 10 is now the S.D.C. for truly MASSIVE things ( starships, ChiTown, etc ) as the balance varies a great deal on these types of items.
    Exo-Skeliton Body armor and Partial Reconstruction Cyborgs as well as Juciers have a physical strength equal to the Heros Unlimited Minor Super Ability: Extrordinary Physical Strength, Power Armor, Giant Robots and Full Conversion Cyborgs have a physical strength equal to the Heros Unlimited Minor Super Ability: Super Human Physical Strength.
    Use the Rules on page 32 of the Rifts Conversion Book One Revised Edtion to Determine the Armor Ratings ( A.R. ) for these Items.
Last edited by panzerfaust on Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

So the 1MD = 100SDC does not really work out?
panzerfaust
Adventurer

lather wrote:So the 1MD = 100SDC does not really work out?
Actually, I Have NO PROBLEM with M.D.C., but I understand some people do, hence I posted the above rules for these people, and they are also good for convertiing M.D.C. stuff to S.D.C. settings (like HU2 as well). :)
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Ah I see what you are doing. :oops:
panzerfaust
Adventurer

lather wrote:Ah I see what you are doing. :oops:
No need to be embarassed lather. :) Just thought I'd put this up for people to test out. ;)
NOW can I fire my Nuclear-Gattling-300mm-Boom Gun ?! ; Anonymous Munchkin
panzerfaust
Adventurer

Rhineville wrote:To me that seems a bit overly complicated, because not only do you have to check the damage/capacity of a weapon/item, but you also have to check which group it belongs in. I think a house rule of 1MD=(insert amount of sdc here) universally would be a bit easier to follow.
:-? It's Not THAT hard, usualy 90% of the time you can tell by the Weapon's apearance/picture and/or fluff text what category it belongs in and apply the above conversions to it. IMHO this system works better than 1 point of M.D.C. = X amount of S.D.C. (which doesn't work across the board completely) because it keeps it conparable to S.D.C. Worlds like HU2 and ATB2 and N&SS and it keeps scale between MAN-SIZED stuff and BIG VEHICLE SCALE stuff (You're gonna have to take time to find an A.R. for these Items ANYWAYS, so taking a few seconds to figure out which list it belongs in shouldn't be a biggie :) ). Personaly, I think that palladium SHOULD publish, in the future, their later Rifts Book reprints with S.D.C. Conversion stats NEXT to the M.D.C. stats for those who want to take that route, but that's just me. Note that I have NO problem with Mega-Damage, but I know a few people who do (shrugs) hence these conversion rules. :)
panzerfaust
Adventurer

Beatleguise wrote:1 MDC = 100 SDC is mearly the mixed convertion ratio for the normal RIFTS.

It is not the only option in the Convertion Book for a strait SDC setting.
You can just as easily convert everything on a 1 for 1 swap.
Yeah, but then a Wilks 320 Laser Pistol does only 1D6 S.D.C., something I DON'T buy into. :nh: Besides I don't suggest converting EVERY tech weapon in Rifts over to S.D.C. all at once (THAT would take too long :shock: ), but only doing so as they come up in the game. Besides the Rules I have above are relitively easy, and the hardest part is just settling on a A.R. for items. :wink:
JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Re: S.D.C. Version of Rifts.

Unread post by JTwig »

panzerfaust wrote:I've come up with some Improved M.D.C. to S.D.C. Conversion Rules because I wasn't satisfied with those for tech-items in the Rifts Conversion Book(Also Aplicable to Splicers and Macross II):
    M.D. Times 2is now the S.D.C. Damage for hand-held M.D. Small Arms type weapons.
    M.D. Times 3 ( Times 2 for Man-Sized Railguns ) is now the S.D.C. damage for Heavy or power armor mounted weapons (Includes Hand Grenades), also note that Railguns do their converted burst damage in M.D. as S.D.C. per a single round (I.E. a C-40R SAMAS Railgun now does 2D4x10 S.D.C. per a single shot) and that bursts from rainguns should be treated as the same as those from Machineguns.
    M.D. times 10 is now the S.D.C. damage from rifts M.D. Heavy, Anti-Tank/Robot Weapons, Missiles and Explosives.
    M.D.C. times 2 is now the S.D.C. of Rifts High-Tech Body Armor , and also note that all rifts High-Tech Body Armor has the equivalent of NATURAL/ROBOT A.R..
    M.D.C. Times 2 is now the S.D.C. of Power Armor, Cyborgs, Small Vehicles and Man-Sized Robots (This gives a Death's Head SAMAS about as much S.D.C. as a 20th Century Light Tank/APC ( Note that Military Vehicles Have a Natural/Robot A.R. ).
    M.D.C. times 3 is now the S.D.C. of M.D.C. Tanks, Conventional Vehicles that are larger than man-sized, ships, submarines, Glitter Boys and Giant Robots ( this gives the smallest Iron Heart Industries tank something like 1900 S.D.C. which is better but in the same ballpark as an M1 Abrams at 1500 S.D.C., and note that ALL military Vehicles have a Natural/Robot A.R. ).
    M.D.C. times 1 to 10 is now the S.D.C. for truly MASSIVE things ( starships, ChiTown, etc ) as the balance varies a great deal on these types of items.
    Exo-Skeliton Body armor and Partial Reconstruction Cyborgs as well as Juciers have a physical strength equal to the Heros Unlimited Minor Super Ability: Extrordinary Physical Strength, Power Armor, Giant Robots and Full Conversion Cyborgs have a physical strength equal to the Heros Unlimited Minor Super Ability: Super Human Physical Strength.
    Use the Rules on page 32 of the Rifts Conversion Book One Revised Edtion to Determine the Armor Ratings ( A.R. ) for these Items.

Good job. You've come up with some things that I hadn't thought of when doing my own conversions. I noticed someone said they had tried it, but has anyone tested on a large scale and not just one or two sessions? I'd be interested to see how it works on a long term campaign, especially when you start to incorporate equipment and character from traditional S.D.C. setting.
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Haha.
panzerfaust
Adventurer

duck-foot wrote:i tested it out not bad imo
Thanks Duck-Foot!
panzerfaust
Adventurer

JTwig wrote:
panzerfaust wrote:I've come up with some Improved M.D.C. to S.D.C. Conversion Rules because I wasn't satisfied with those for tech-items in the Rifts Conversion Book(Also Aplicable to Splicers and Macross II):
    M.D. Times 2is now the S.D.C. Damage for hand-held M.D. Small Arms type weapons.
    M.D. Times 3 ( Times 2 for Man-Sized Railguns ) is now the S.D.C. damage for Heavy or power armor mounted weapons (Includes Hand Grenades), also note that Railguns do their converted burst damage in M.D. as S.D.C. per a single round (I.E. a C-40R SAMAS Railgun now does 2D4x10 S.D.C. per a single shot) and that bursts from rainguns should be treated as the same as those from Machineguns.

Good job. You've come up with some things that I hadn't thought of when doing my own conversions. I noticed someone said they had tried it, but has anyone tested on a large scale and not just one or two sessions? I'd be interested to see how it works on a long term campaign, especially when you start to incorporate equipment and character from traditional S.D.C. setting.
Thanks JTwig! I really thought out these conversions a great, great, deal. Though as I'm VERY inexperianced as a GM (and it's difficult to find players here, in my neck of the woods as well), I Haven't got a chance to play test 'em yet. :-(
panzerfaust
Adventurer

Zylo wrote:I was thinking this was crazy at first. With those house rules you could one shot a SAMAS with a single plasma mini-missile, right? I guess the AR would help, if it is high enough.

It might be more deadly, but I think I would prefer that over chipping through hundreds of MDC with weapons that seem ineffective.
Well, you could, but youd have to get past the A.R., then roll a lucky 6 on the damage die. :D
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

panzerfaust wrote:I Haven't got a chance to play test 'em yet. :-(

I know the feeling.

Try running some scenarios and situations as if there were players. With rules and stuff like that, sometimes you can pseudo-play test.
panzerfaust
Adventurer

EPIC wrote:
Zylo wrote:
Dochenor wrote:I use the Deca Damage rule. 1 MDC = 10 SDC and vice versa. works for my group and is simple to remember.

That's the conversion I've used in the past for the same reasons. Simple and effective.

i used the deca damage rule for a while but them i just went all out and rewrote the rules to fit with an SD system.
8) Hmmm... Did you use similar conversions to mine, EPIC? What exactly did you rewrite?
panzerfaust
Adventurer

EPIC wrote:Hit Points & SDC for MDC Beings…
Use the following guidelines to provide MDC beings with an appropriate amount of SDC points only when a conversion is not already provided elsewhere. Low MDC beings – less than 100 MDC – have a number of SDC points equal to their MDC plus 30%; they also receive the standard amount of hit points in addition to their SDC. High MDC beings – 100s of MDC – have a number of SDC points equal to their current MDC; they also have the standard amount of hit points in addition to their SDC. Super MDC beings – 1000s of MDC – have a number of SDC points equal to their MDC less 30%; they also have the standard amount of hit points in addition to their SDC. Hit points are determined as normal – PE attribute plus d6 per level of experience – or use the MDC gained per level in hit points as per the creature’s description. Low MDC beings also gain an AR of 9, while high MDC beings gain an AR of 11 and super MDC beings gain an AR of 13. This AR functions the same as the natural AR rules, any roll to strike that is under the AR simply glances off and inflicts no damage.

Juicers & SDC…
Reduce the amount of SDC points that the standard juicer receives to d6+6x10, for a range of 70 to 120 SDC rather that the normal 100 to 400 SDC. Hit points remain unchanged but in compensation for having fewer SDC points the juicer should receive an AR of 9. This AR functions the same as the natural AR rules, any roll to strike that is under the AR is simply ignored by the juicer and no damage is inflicted.

Crazies & SDC…
Reduce the amount of SDC points that the standard crazy receives to 2d6x10, for a range of 20 to 120 SDC rather than the normal 30 to 180 SDC. Hit points remain unchanged but in compensation for having fewer SDC points the crazy should receive an AR of 8. This AR functions the same as the natural AR rules, any roll to strike that is under the AR is simply ignored by the crazy and no damage is inflicted.

MDC Cybernetics & Bionics…
The SDC points of cybernetic or bionic systems are equivalent to the amount of MDC that they currently have with no changes. However, bionic components should have an AR of 8 while cybernetic and bio-systems should not have an AR. This AR functions the same as the natural AR rules, any roll to strike that is under the AR simply glances off and inflicts no damage.

Personal MDC Armour…
The SDC points of personal MDC armour are equivalent to the amount of MDC that it currently has with no changes. The following guidelines should be used to determine the now needed AR for MDC armour. Half suits of MDC armour such as juicer plate armour should receive an AR of 16. Full suits of non-environmental MDC armour such as huntsman body armour should receive an AR of 17. Suits of full-environmental armour such as dead-boy body armour should receive an AR of 19. All other types armour, such as those found in Palladium’s Fantasy setting – still quite common on Rifts Earth – remain unchanged. This AR functions the same as the standard AR rules, any roll to strike that is over the AR penetrates the armour otherwise the damage is inflicted to the armour itself.

Cyborg MDC Armour…
The SDC points of MDC borg armour are equivalent to the amount of MDC that it currently has with no changes. The following guidelines should be used to determine the now needed AR for MDC borg armour. Light borg armour should receive an AR of 17, medium borg armour should receive an AR of 19 and heavy borg armour should receive an AR of 21 – nigh impenetrable – where a natural 20 to strike penetrates the armour. This AR functions the same as the standard AR rules, any roll to strike that is over the AR penetrates the armour otherwise the damage is inflicted to the armour itself.

Vehicles, Power Armour & Robots…
The SDC points of MDC vehicles, power armour or robots are equivalent to the amount of MDC that it currently has with no changes. The following guidelines should be used to determine the now needed AR of MDC vehicles, power armour and robots. All power armour should receive an AR of 21 – nigh impenetrable – where a natural 20 to strike penetrates the armour. While only the pilot’s compartment of robot vehicles should receive an AR of 21. The pilot’s compartment of MDC vehicles should receive an AR of 17, but only if it is fully enclosed otherwise it should receive an AR of 11. This AR functions the same as the standard AR rules, any roll to strike that is over the AR penetrates the vehicle otherwise the damage is inflicted to the vehicle itself. Military vehicles such as tanks or heavy robots like the titan series do not have this type of AR. Components such as wings, thrusters or turrets should receive an AR of 8 which functions the same as the natural AR rules, any roll to strike that is under the AR simply glances off and inflicts no damage. Tanks and similar heavily armoured or military vehicles or robots should receive an AR of 9 which functions the same as the natural AR rules, any roll to strike that is under the AR simply glances off and inflicts no damage.

A Note On Armour Rating…
In cases where this type of AR of armour is rated at 19 or higher, whenever a roll to strike penetrates the AR only ½ of the damage is inflicted to the wearer and the other ½ is inflicted to the armour itself. This applies to full environmental armours, borg armour, power armour and similar.

Modern MDC Weapons & Conventional SDC Weapons…
The SDC damage of all modern MDC weapons is equivalent to the amount of MDC damage that it currently inflicts with no changes. But due to the nature of energy weapons and vibro weapons, – this includes laser, ion and plasma weapons – the AR that is needed to penetrate armour is reduced by 2 points. Glitter armour negates this effect against laser weapons. Also note that conventional SDC armour piercing rounds reduce the AR needed to penetrate armour by 1 point in addition to the additional d6 of damage that they inflict.

Damage Scaling…
The following guidelines should be used to compensate for the poor damage scaling of weapons in Rifts Earth. Personal sized weapons, personal explosives, mini missiles and short-ranged missiles remain unchanged. Large sized weapons such as those mounted on light military robots or vehicles, small aircraft, rail guns, fusion blocks and medium-ranged missiles should inflict 30% more damage. Giant sized weapons such as those mounted on heavy military robots or vehicles, tanks, full sized aircraft and long-range missiles – excluding nukes – should inflict 50% more damage. Massive sized weapons such as those mounted on mobile fortresses or battleships and nukes should inflict 100% more damage.
8) Cool, I like the rules for coverting M.D.C. Beings, standard Crazies & Juicers, but how would you go about convert Mega-Juicers and Titan Juciers, EPIC. :-?
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

panzerfaust wrote:but how would you go about convert Mega-Juicers and Titan Juciers, EPIC. :-?

A hailstorm of daisy cutters!
panzerfaust
Adventurer

EPIC wrote:
panzerfaust wrote: 8) Cool, I like the rules for coverting M.D.C. Beings, standard Crazies & Juicers, but how would you go about convert Mega-Juicers and Titan Juciers, EPIC. :-?

as per MD beings but include the Juicer/Crazy AR ... but honestly, none of my players have wanted to play those particular classes so i've never actually worried about it that much

i'm glad you liked those conversions :ok:
Well, I could that with Mega Juciers, but Titans, well they're s.d.c. (they just have enough to be the Equivalent to M.D.C., possibly up in the low thousands of S.D.C. depending how the player rolls for that. :shock:
panzerfaust
Adventurer

EPIC wrote:
panzerfaust wrote:
EPIC wrote:
panzerfaust wrote: 8) Cool, I like the rules for coverting M.D.C. Beings, standard Crazies & Juicers, but how would you go about convert Mega-Juicers and Titan Juciers, EPIC. :-?

as per MD beings but include the Juicer/Crazy AR ... but honestly, none of my players have wanted to play those particular classes so i've never actually worried about it that much

i'm glad you liked those conversions :ok:
Well, I could that with Mega Juciers, but Titans, well they're s.d.c. (they just have enough to be the Equivalent to M.D.C., possibly up in the low thousands of S.D.C. depending how the player rolls for that. :shock:

i never did like that about the Titan Juicer. it seems kind of, well rediculous ... they are not true MD beings yet they have enough SD to match most dragons from an SD setting. they should have just been coverted to a moderate MD being or given a more reasonable amount of SD i.m.o.

as far as converting them, i would have to think about it for a while and try some different things to see what works.
It's gotta be that it's Synthesized DRAGON Testosterone that their Bio-Comps keep injecting in em. :lol:
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Interesting alternate rules! But I'll stick with standard Rifts. I don't have any problems with the mega-damage system.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
panzerfaust
Adventurer

Aramanthus wrote:Interesting alternate rules! But I'll stick with standard Rifts. I don't have any problems with the mega-damage system.
:) Thanks, and Nor do I, but the rules I posted are for converting Rift Tech-Items to the the Varius Palladium S.D.C. settings primarily, but could be used for Converting Rifts Tech-Stuff to S.D.C. across the board for those who DON'T LIKE M.D.C., I NOT included among them as I LIKE M.D.C. :wink: Infact I belive we have Mega-Stuctures In Real Life: They're Called Armored Combat Vehicles. :D In fact I'm working on a project that stats out some REAL LIFE ARMORED VEHICLES as M.D.C. structures for Robotech along with some more REAL LIFE HEAVY WEAPONS for taking out Tanks and Mecha with. :-)
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Sounds like a promising article! I'll look forward to seeing it!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
panzerfaust
Adventurer

Bumped up because I think its a useful thread (I think the forums had a Hiccup). :) (and I don't know how to post links or paste stuff.) :oops:
panzerfaust
Adventurer

Charz wrote:I'm going to give this a try, though most likly I'll use it only when needed (i still thing APC's should have MDC i just wish there was a middle ground so that the average orc isn't an unstoppable killing machine in todays time)
    Well Charz, ORCS are S.D.C. creature even in Rifts and are vulnerable to S.D.C. guns, swords knives, etc. You shoot one with an M-16 for instance, well, even if it Doesn't drop that orc imediately, he's still hurt and unless he gets medical attention/first aid he may BLEED to death, or failing that develop an INFECTION in the wound and die for instance.
    As to APCs having M.D.C., they do in S.D.C. settings (well, sorta anyway) Do you have the Heros Unlimited Game Master Guide? Okay, if you do, look at the M-113 Armored Personel Carrier on Page 217 Yes, it has an Armor Rating of 14 Right? Read further I lists WHAT weapon have a chance of Damaging it though, namely: weapons that are at LEAST an EQUIVALENT to a .50 Caliber Heavy Machinegun or BETTER a chump with a AK-47 is JUST not going to damage one with rifle fire. THAT is the difference between a CAR or SMALL Truck and MILITARY GRADE ARMORED COMBAT VEHICLES. (NOTE: that this DOES NOT Include the BULLET RESISTANT ARMOR on some super vehicles if you armor it like a tank, your vehicle will look like a armored vehicle).
JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Unread post by JTwig »

panzerfaust wrote:
Charz wrote:I'm going to give this a try, though most likly I'll use it only when needed (i still thing APC's should have MDC i just wish there was a middle ground so that the average orc isn't an unstoppable killing machine in todays time)
    Well Charz, ORCS are S.D.C. creature even in Rifts and are vulnerable to S.D.C. guns, swords knives, etc. You shoot one with an M-16 for instance, well, even if it Doesn't drop that orc immediately, he's still hurt and unless he gets medical attention/first aid he may BLEED to death, or failing that develop an INFECTION in the wound and die for instance.
    As to APCs having M.D.C., they do in S.D.C. settings (well, sorta anyway) Do you have the Heros Unlimited Game Master Guide? Okay, if you do, look at the M-113 Armored Personnel Carrier on Page 217 Yes, it has an Armor Rating of 14 Right? Read further I lists WHAT weapon have a chance of Damaging it though, namely: weapons that are at LEAST an EQUIVALENT to a .50 Caliber Heavy Machinegun or BETTER a chump with a AK-47 is JUST not going to damage one with rifle fire. THAT is the difference between a CAR or SMALL Truck and MILITARY GRADE ARMORED COMBAT VEHICLES. (NOTE: that this DOES NOT Include the BULLET RESISTANT ARMOR on some super vehicles if you armor it like a tank, your vehicle will look like a armored vehicle).

There is also an option I use when I run an S.D.C. Rifts game. I assign every vehicle (including robots and power armor) something I call military grade armor, that ranges from level one to five. Each level requires ten points of damage to defeat, so if you had an APC with Grade Three Military Armor only attacks that did 31 points of damage or greater would harm it. This is not damage reduction; if the APC above was struck for 30 points of damage than it would be unharmed, and any attack above 30 would do full damage.
panzerfaust
Adventurer

JTwig wrote:There is also an option I use when I run an S.D.C. Rifts game. I assign every vehicle (including robots and power armor) something I call military grade armor, that ranges from level one to five. Each level requires ten points of damage to defeat, so if you had an APC with Grade Three Military Armor only attacks that did 31 points of damage or greater would harm it. This is not damage reduction; if the APC above was struck for 30 points of damage than it would be unharmed, and any attack above 30 would do full damage.
Thats an Interesting rule JTwig, I may try that, but first I have to find me a group to play-test my rule above on. :)
panzerfaust
Adventurer

wyldheart007 wrote:this is some good guidelines, but to be honest? i wish palladium gave us MDC = SDC conversion advice in ALL their books

just one of my personal desires
Yeah, I would agree with that too. :)

Return to “G.M.s Forum”